An easier way to setup goal calories - eating for who you wi

Options

Replies

• Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    So many pages.

So little time...I hear you.

OK, here's my scenario. I'm at 209, goal weight is 180. I have a desk job, and I don't exercise, so I entered 9 hours of resting with 15 hours of "very light" activity. It says that my BMR (at goal weight) is 1809 with activity calories at 565, for a total of 2374.

So, I assume I should calculate my daily calorie deficit using 2374 as the starting point. For example, a 500-calorie/per-day deficit is 1874, right (i.e., 2374 - 500)? That's how many calories I should eat each day if I wish to lose, say, a pound (~3500 cals.) per week?

I just started a week ago, and so far I'm averaging about 1750 cals./day. I've already lost 3 lbs. from my 212 start weight. So apparently, my plan (which approximates the program you described above) seems to be working. :smile:

Thanks,

Aaron
  • HeidiYogi
    HeidiYogi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    OK, here's my scenario. I'm 44 6' at 209, goal weight is 180. I have a desk job, and I don't exercise, so I entered 9 hours of resting with 15 hours of "very light" activity. It says that my BMR (at goal weight) is 1809 with activity calories at 565, for a total of 2374.

So, I assume I should calculate my daily calorie deficit using 2374 as the starting point. For example, a 500-calorie/per-day deficit is 1874, right (i.e., 2374 - 500)? That's how many calories I should eat each day if I wish to lose, say, a pound (~3500 cals.) per week?

I just started a week ago, and so far I'm averaging about 1750 cals./day. I've already lost 3 lbs. from my 212 start weight. So apparently, my plan (which approximates the program you described above) seems to be working. :smile:

You can indeed undercut the BMR and have success of diminishing returns until the BMR lowers to match what it is getting.
    The lag time depends on amount of yo-yo dieting one has done and how fast the metabolism is willing to change, how big of a deficit compared to previously eating level, and level of deficit to the BMR.
    Some can accomplish in 3 days, some can take 3-4 weeks.

No other 15 min periods of walking in there? Total time in/out of work? Walking during lunch? Shopping on the weekend? Cleaning? Ect. You do yourself no favor keeping it super simple when it isn't. At least if you want to maximize.

And no - you do NOT take a deficit off these figures. There already is.

The difference between all activities at current weight calories, and goal weight activities.
    The fact the foundation, BMR, is underestimated for overweight, so you actually burn even more now (unless metabolism suppressed).

The total calories at future weight is the current daily goal.
    And stays the daily goal until your routine really changes, like adding in an exercise routine.

But, since you are not exercising - you can have an even easier simple way.

Set your daily goal to your current BMR, rounding up to 1900.

As weight drops, lower that value.

You'll always have your BMR burning full steam ahead, and making all your limited daily activity be your deficit. So if you can park farther out, do some stairs, walk at lunch, ect - that all adds to the deficit.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    No other 15 min periods of walking in there? Total time in/out of work? Walking during lunch? Shopping on the weekend? Cleaning? Ect.

Not much of that, unfortunately. :glasses: I've got a desk job, I work a lot of hours, and I'm a notorious couch potato. In my free time, I play the organ, hang out with my wife, and watch a lot of TV. That wasn't always the case, though. Back in 2008/2009, I did several Beachbody programs (P90X twice, Slim in 6), and was working out six days a week, every week. I was down to about 175, with considerably more muscle than I have today. After sustaining a back sprain, which left me unable to work out for a couple of months, I stopped exercising. That's why I'm up to 209 today.

So I should eat 1900, which creates a calorie deficit of about 474/cals. per day? That's what MFP recommends for me already.

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread. It's been helpful.

Aaron
  • fooshan
    fooshan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Incredible. I just did this. I was talking to my hubby and I said "in order to maintain 1400 cals when I am at goal, why not eat that now" just last week. And that is exactly what I'm doing. LOL. Great post. Long to explain, but the concept is easy. Eat the numbers you want to be. ♥ Thanks!

150 lbs maintained with 1400 calories?
    That's almost the BMR level, not what you would eat to maintain it probably. Careful dipping too low for BMR slowdown. Especially as you keep making excellent progress.
    I agree. That is very low. Probably your RMR. What you'd need if you were in a coma. You'll need to up those for maintenance! :-)
  • heybales
    Options

So I should eat 1900, which creates a calorie deficit of about 474/cals. per day? That's what MFP recommends for me already.
    [/quote]

That would be the simplest method for your simple daily routine right now.

Eat at 1900 every day. Increase non-exercise activity as able.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So let me get this correct....
    I went though my numbers and the gist is I want to get 160. Am presently hovering (since July 2011) at 195. So I set my calories at 2094 to eat at maintenance to be the weight I want to be. According to mfp that has me at a deficit of 46 cals and I am all set up to lose 0.1 lbs a week! Ignore that and just eat and keep my exercise as it is.

I am willing to do just about anything to get off this darn plateau!

Thank you for your post, it makes a lot of sense.
  • heybales
    Options
    So let me get this correct....
    I went though my numbers and the gist is I want to get 160. Am presently hovering (since July 2011) at 195. So I set my calories at 2094 to eat at maintenance to be the weight I want to be. According to mfp that has me at a deficit of 46 cals and I am all set up to lose 0.1 lbs a week! Ignore that and just eat and keep my exercise as it is.

I am willing to do just about anything to get off this darn plateau!

Thank you for your post, it makes a lot of sense.

If honest with activity time and level - yes.

MFP's estimates can't work now, because you just included exercise in the daily goal, MFP is expecting you to add them in later - so the math is all off.

You might try the spreadsheet though, which does use a 5% more accurate BMR calc (still for goal weight sadly, and still off for overweight).

check out the group I was asked to start - better explanation and spreadsheet link in main topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3088-eating-for-future-you

The spreadsheet will help setup MFP to at least receive better encouragement when you complete your diary every night "in 5 weeks you'll weigh ..."
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    bump
  • no_where1976
    no_where1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Starting this method today to see what happenes... 5'5'', current weight 166, goal weight 140, BMR calories 1261 and total calories 1870. Usuing the spreadsheet to track.
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump thx
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Farmgirl67
    Options
    Bump, I want to read this later. Thanks!
  • nileighttig
    nileighttig Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • MichelleLHowe
    Options
    Ok I read through the first 10 or so pages and I am still so confused. Help!

My current stats are this:

Height: 5'5"
    CW: 143
    GW: 120

On the other website you suggested, I put everything as this"

Weight: 120
    Height: 65"
    Resting: 15.35 hours (averaged 7 days)
    Very Light: 5.8
    Light: 2
    Moderate: .53
    Heavy: .32

I used a 7 day average because I work out 5 days a week, 3 of those days I teach indoor cycling 45 minutes each. It gives me a BMR of 1294, Activity of 536 and total of 1830.

I've gained 15 lbs in the last 2 years and am very frustrated. Two months ago I started working with a PT who gave me a calorie goal of 1400 to lose what I had gained. So I started eating the 1400. Then my friend told me (repeatedly) that I was not eating enough because I was not eating my exercise calories, my "net calories" were too low - I should be eating 1400 "net". So I started eating more to get my net calories to 1400. Guess what? I gained 4 pounds. Please tell me what I am supposed to be eating. And how in the world do I put it MFP? When I put in the 1830, and my activity level as sedentary or even active, it says I will actually gain weight.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bump to figure out tomorrow when I'm not so tired :wink: