Seriously ... 1200 calories or less

Options

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Playing devil's advocate here....I recently had 2 heath checks, 1 BUPA and 1 Nuffield, neither of which shrank back when I told them of the 1200 calorie suggestion. Common sense ought to apply here, you know that a balance of lean meats, fish, pulses, oats and fibre are your friends and you can have a full tummy as much as you want as long as you try and offset it with some form of cardio activity.

I also know that as a 5'6" 146 lb woman of 30 trying to lose 1 stone it appears to be the hardest thing in the universe.

I absolutely know that I could survive just fine on 1200 calories. The biggest enemy for me is booze. Without a doubt, if I cut it out completely I would be certainly finding it easier to stay on 1200 and give myself a fighting chance of actually losing the weight.

I have precious little time in my life for exercise however I will be sticking to my 30 min walk in the morning and also re starting Zumba and 1 other exercise class in a week, just to get me moving more! Couple that with stripping out booze 6 out of 7 days I hope that will at least bring me closer to where I want to be without going into "starvation mode".

I believe it can be done.
    #

Of course it works for losing weight! But my God is it a silly thing to do...especially if you are NOT overweight or obese... In the normal range you're going to use a larger percentage of lean tissue from broken down body than fat than an obese or overweight person and this is where the dangers come into play. especially for women. First your periods will stop (maybe a blessing but is more worrying than you think as I experienced it and I wasn't even intentionally starving myself!) Secondly it puts a great strain on your heart, especially if you're working out hard because your body is breaking down and building itself up regardless, but with no extra fuel in the tank, ESPECIALLY protein, your body WILL break down lean tissue for fuel and this DOES include vital organs such as your heart which inevitably makes it weaker.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Playing devil's advocate here....I recently had 2 heath checks, 1 BUPA and 1 Nuffield, neither of which shrank back when I told them of the 1200 calorie suggestion. Common sense ought to apply here, you know that a balance of lean meats, fish, pulses, oats and fibre are your friends and you can have a full tummy as much as you want as long as you try and offset it with some form of cardio activity.

I also know that as a 5'6" 146 lb woman of 30 trying to lose 1 stone it appears to be the hardest thing in the universe.

I absolutely know that I could survive just fine on 1200 calories. The biggest enemy for me is booze. Without a doubt, if I cut it out completely I would be certainly finding it easier to stay on 1200 and give myself a fighting chance of actually losing the weight.

I have precious little time in my life for exercise however I will be sticking to my 30 min walk in the morning and also re starting Zumba and 1 other exercise class in a week, just to get me moving more! Couple that with stripping out booze 6 out of 7 days I hope that will at least bring me closer to where I want to be without going into "starvation mode".

#

Of course it works for losing weight! But my God is it a silly thing to do...especially if you are NOT overweight or obese... In the normal range you're going to use a larger percentage of lean tissue from broken down body than fat than an obese or overweight person and this is where the dangers come into play. especially for women. First your periods will stop (maybe a blessing but is more worrying than you think as I experienced it and I wasn't even intentionally starving myself!) Secondly it puts a great strain on your heart, especially if you're working out hard because your body is breaking down and building itself up regardless, but with no extra fuel in the tank, ESPECIALLY protein, your body WILL break down lean tissue for fuel and this DOES include vital organs such as your heart which inevitably makes it weaker.

And in addition, calories don't just equate to healthy and safe. on such a low calorie diet they must be balanced and nutritious! So alcohol calories are just as bad as starving yourself pretty much especially as the alcohol is such a laborious product for your body to metabolise, as its poison!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Yes, it can be done, that is not the issue.

I was losing at 1200, but I am also losing at 1600.

Some people blindly follow the 1200 without realising that they don't have to. If they did some research on their BMR and TDEE they will find that they could be losing eating more, but lot's of people prefer the 1200 number as they want to feel deprived and don't feel they are following a diet properly if they aren't deprived.

I was that person but with some advice and education I upped my calories and have felt much better. I'm sure the thread has made some people stop and think about what they are doing, and whether there is possible another way for them, but I am equally as sure that there will be some people who refuse to even consider that anything other than 1000 calories is too much for them.

Personally if I had a choice of 1200 or 1600. I know not everyone would chose the same, but if threads like these help even a few to try something different that works for them that is great.

Some may try it and find it doesn't work for them, but at least they gave it a go. if 1200 isn't working they've got nothing to lose by trying something different.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I lost at 1200. I lost at under 1000. For the most part, I was either not hungry or able to ignore being hungry enough to not feel hungry.

But I lost better at significantly more. More of what I lost was from fat. And it was psychologically a lot better to have my settings for, for instance, one pound a week and losing on average one pound a week, then trying to lose two pounds a week and losing at very most one pound a week. I can't speak for anyone else, but I thought there was something really wrong with me when I was eating under 1000 calories a day and losing about a half pound every OTHER week. I felt like a failure, and felt like I lacked discipline, and I made excuses like, "My metabolism is just slow." I thought I'd have to cut calories even more to lose.

And I was wrong.

Last time, losing weight did seem like the hardest thing in the world, because I was making it the hardest thing in the world. This time, it felt effortless, because I understood that when you don't have much to lose, progress will and should be slow. I knew in that final ten pounds, I was only going to lose a half pound a week. It was going to be slow... but slow doesn't mean hard.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    I lost at 1200. I lost at under 1000. For the most part, I was either not hungry or able to ignore being hungry enough to not feel hungry.

But I lost better at significantly more. More of what I lost was from fat. And it was psychologically a lot better to have my settings for, for instance, one pound a week and losing on average one pound a week, then trying to lose two pounds a week and losing at very most one pound a week. I can't speak for anyone else, but I thought there was something really wrong with me when I was eating under 1000 calories a day and losing about a half pound every OTHER week. I felt like a failure, and felt like I lacked discipline, and I made excuses like, "My metabolism is just slow." I thought I'd have to cut calories even more to lose.

And I was wrong.

Last time, losing weight did seem like the hardest thing in the world, because I was making it the hardest thing in the world. This time, it felt effortless, because I understood that when you don't have much to lose, progress will and should be slow. I knew in that final ten pounds, I was only going to lose a half pound a week. It was going to be slow... but slow doesn't mean hard.

Casing point!!!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Before I started to use MFP to lose weight, I used because I was curious how much I was eating regularly (and I was overeating when I ate). I was eating some where around 1400 calories a day at most.
    I am 5'3 and right now eat between 1000 and 1200 cals a day, sometimes more sometimes less.
    I am however, never starving myself, I am by nature, just not a big eater.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and most days I'm a little under 1200. And I feel like I'm doing fine.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and most days I'm a little under 1200. And I feel like I'm doing fine.

ehhh---I'd reconsider. Also 4'11 and ate ~2500 calories today..maintaining yes but my point is that starvation isn't necessary.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    The thought is that if you have less than 50 pounds to lose that you're likely under 200 pounds already--the safe rate is generally 1% of your bodyweight. So if you're under 200 pounds you cannot "safely" lose 2 pounds a week if you go by the 1% standard.

Yes you can! Depending on your height and especially you shape, even the doctors and nutritionists say 2lbs a week is healthy. I was a size 20 at 200lbs and I'm sorry but saying you cannot lose 2lbs a week "safely" is not only inaccurate but scaremongering. Again not saying that it will necessarily happen that way and some weeks you'll lose 0.5lbs to 2lbs but saying it is not safe is just wrong.
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think there is something MFP can do here to help. If I press the button to complete the day's entry at 1000 calories it gives a much lower projected weight in 5 weeks eg "If every day was like today you'd weigh 209 pounds". When I put the rest of my calories in - up to 1700 - the projected weight is much higher. This makes it look like the less calories you eat the more you will lose.
    Of course there is the warning about dipping below 1200 cals but I think they should address this because the BIG part of the message is eat less cals and lose more weight.
    Does that make sense? Or only to me....... :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I think there is something MFP can do here to help. If I press the button to complete the day's entry at 1000 calories it gives a much lower projected weight in 5 weeks eg "If every day was like today you'd weigh 209 pounds". When I put the rest of my calories in - up to 1700 - the projected weight is much higher. This makes it look like the less calories you eat the more you will lose.
    Of course there is the warning about dipping below 1200 cals but I think they should address this because the BIG part of the message is eat less cals and lose more weight.
    Does that make sense? Or only to me....... :)

I tend to ignore it, as it keeps telling me I will gain weight in 5 weeks, when I am losing around 1.5lb per week.
    it doesn't like 4ft 11 ladies eating 1600+ calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If the "If every day were like today" message is something that motivates/frustrates you, make sure to change your activity level rather than just increasing your calorie goal.

At sedentary, I'd get about under 1600 calories, at lightly active, around 1700, and as active (where I have it set now) I'm at 1840. I'm not *that* active, but it's what it takes to get me the right amount of base calories.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If the "If every day were like today" message is something that motivates/frustrates you, make sure to change your activity level rather than just increasing your calorie goal.

At sedentary, I'd get about under 1600 calories, at lightly active, around 1700, and as active (where I have it set now) I'm at 1840. I'm not *that* active, but it's what it takes to get me the right amount of base calories.

I agree about "If every day were like today". Today, I just turned the page for a new week in my little planner. This is where I first started jotting down the weight 5 weeks ahead, just to see. Well, I'm about 3 pounds off. I did this a few times a week, but maybe I should stop. I am definitely not losing that fast. :sad:
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Um.. my TDEE is barely over 1500 calories because I'm short. I pretty much have to eat <1200 calories to lose weight.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Um.. my TDEE is barely over 1500 calories because I'm short. I pretty much have to eat <1200 calories to lose weight.

Well, considering your goal weight is 90 pounds I'd say that losing weight altogether is something that you shouldn't embark on but i guess everyone has their goals.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I lost all the weight I wanted eating 1200 calories and not exercising. I now eat 1400 to maintain. I also have a food scale so I know my portion size is correct. I think a lot of people are eating more calories then they think.

1400 should never be maintenance. The average female needs close to 2000. My TDEE is around 2200 and I only work out about 5 days a week. I'm short too, only 5'3" and a 136 pounds. 1400 is my cutting calories level (plus another 400 usually from the exercise calories I eat)... and I'm losing weight just fine (and I must say, more of it is fat and not muscle). To be honest, I have many days where I exceed 1800 (and sometimes without exercise) and I still lose weight.

Maybe I'm lucky... but I mostly think it is because I have kept my metabolism at a high from making sure I eat enough.
  • hyfrydle
    hyfrydle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i am using MFP as a diary only. i have set my calorie allowance manually. i am using 200 calories for my milk allowance so have set MFP at 1000 calories for the next 2 weeks (1000 + 200 milk = 1200) i am going to change this in week 3-4 of my diet to 1200 + 200 milk allowance. i like MFP for the diary purpose as I hate writing down on paper!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

At sedentary it is. But if you do any type of exercise it gets bigger and bigger (even light exercise is 1792)

Hitting 90lbs at 5'1 would also have you underweight (even taking your race into account)

My opinion on the whole matter is, yes I could lose weight on 1200. But why do that when I can lose it on 1600? I was one of those 'huge, obese' people when I started (well actually still am :) ) and I don't need to starve myself to lose weight. It's ten months tomorrow for me. I'm only experiencing my first real plateau right now and a part of that is because I'm weight lifting. I might lose quicker on 1200 calories (and that's no guarantee) but why put myself through that? I like the fact that when I go to manitanence I can eat a lot more than I'm currently eating. Who seriously wants to eat like a three year old for their entire lives?

I would like to point one thing out. There are a number of posters who are saying 'however many years ago I lost weight eating at 1200 calories, see it works!' If you've put the weight back on because you've not stuck to it long term, then no it doesn't work. Try something that you can do for the rest of your life!
  • bdavis11758
    bdavis11758 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Especially as you age. 5'1'3/4 and midlife.....metabolism slows down even more at this age.