contemplating quitting smoking...need advice

Options

Replies

• Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just quit, my 2nd time few weeks ago, much easier the 2nd time around I have to say. 1st time I quit was for 8 months, but this times for good :D I used a detox kit a while back by a company called renew life, its an herbal kit, the morning pills were called first cleanse, they had the oddest side effect of making cigs taste like crap, I was taking it for the detox, but when I would go to smoke a cig they tasted weird and didnt want it after 1st drag, may be worth a shot for ya. I used some herbal cigs 1st time I quit, they helped me through the times I just wanted to smoke. This time I quit cold turkey, but fiance is using one of the E-cigs. I don't think urges ever fully go away, even after I had quit the 1st time for 6-7 mos I would still want one with coffee and seeing someone else smoke. But I think they reek now getting close to any1 that smokes. You can do it, just got to get past the 1st few days.....then every day after that :D.. Oh ya I quit and I am loosing weight still.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking.

i quit June 16th of 2008 using this method. it worked.

^^ THIS
    After 37 years of smoking 1-2 packs a day I quit cold turkey on November 9th, 2011. Only 3 days of withdrawel symptoms, after that only thoughts about having ONE. After 4 weeks it was ok, after 2 months fine and the last 2 weeks I 've run a 5K twice a week. I had chronic bronchitis and light asthma but don't need the inhalers any more.
    I have not gained but lost because I started losing weight in September and quit 6 weeks later after reading (better:while) Allen Carr's book. I stuck to exercise and calorie goals and whenever I felt the urge to smoke I did push ups or walking in place, squats or lunges (depending on where you are ;-) I am not only off the hook I am off the chain, don't stink , have more money to buy sports gear, pay the gym, buy a HRM and now I'm saving for a tread mill.
    Good luck on your journey. It is easier than you think.
    And BTW: why would we want to replace nicotine patches or gums for the cigarettes when all we want is to get off the nicotine?
  • Tasha_uk
    Tasha_uk Posts: 70
    Options
    Omg i just spotted this thread and it couldnt come at a better day. it is my first day of giving up. I have cravings already. I think i will stock up on the chewing gum and see if that helps
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    I also recommend Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. It does what it says on the packet. I quit nine years ago and found it a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Good luck!
  • countryrayne
    Options
    You can do it! I agree with some of the other posts that it is the habit that you are addicted to. I smoked for 7 years and then I quit on Halloween 2008. It took several trys before I really quit. I used to like to smoke 3 or 4 cigs on my lunch break in my car. I started walking on lunch instead of smoking. It is funny because I still need to do something with my hands while on my lunch walk. (You will always see me with a leaf, rock, stick, or something in my hands.) I found that smell of cig smoke made me crave a cigarette so I got my car detailed so it didn't stink. I also had to quit going to the bar because it was to hard to not smoke while drinking. You will have to make some lifestyle changes but it really is worth it!!!!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    6 days no smokin :smokin:
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    chantax sis it for me. I smoked for 20 years only quitting when pregnant and I haven't smoked in 2 years come 4/7/12
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    5lbs or 20lbs.........it won't matter if you die from the smoking. I quit 02-27-2011 cold turkey and gained 10 lbs. but I have been smoke free for over a year and have lost that weight as well as weight I have carried for many years because I can now breathe and have the stamina to keep going!!
    You totally can do this.
    Keep telling yourself you are a winner over and over again. The fact that you posted this makes you a winner because you want this.
    Be proud of yourself every single day, every single craving you resist..........and go for it!!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I just read some literature a friend recieved and it said to. Flush your system out with tons of water. Increase your exercise. Change your daily routine. Supposedly a person gets used to smoking at certain times of the day. This pamphlet said that if you normally smoke after meals then you should take a short walk or a bath.

I would rather be fat than a smoker. I truly believe it is healthier to be overweight than to be a smoker.

Quiting smoking is a great decision for you and those you care about. Several of my family members died of from the effects of smoking.

Truly the best to you. Congrats on taking another step towards a healthy life.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Coming from a 30 year, now non, smoker...DO IT.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZNbquiCns8V55SpKsTQ9ZCcEBC-RpQnsf0SBbeK-9nOLBS5vy

Also, here is what I have learned through my experience from quitting...

It is not an addiction to nicotine that is your greatest battle. It's out of your system in 3 days. It's the habitual means of smoking. Find other ways to keep yourself busy.

Good luck!

I want to quit again too. Bump

Agreed.

Change your routine. I used to stop at the QuikTrip for smokes and an iced tea in the mornings. I stopped going that way and just went straight to work. Keep yourself occupied doing something anytime you feel the urge. I still get it. Its been a few months for me. Its hard but so worth it. My favorite part about it is I dont stink anymore. Its the little things!

Best of luck!
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Day One down.made it through the first day with no smokes,over ate a bit ,but back on track tomorrow,,On my way to my healthy me,Thank's for all the support on here.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Awesome, well done! Hope it continues to go well and you're welcome to 'friend' me if you need any support
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in the middle of weight loss-- 10/6/11. I replaced smoking with working out- like crazy! It's the single BEST thing I have done for weight loss. I ran 4 miles last Sunday- now that is a calorie burn!

Good luck- it is tough. My only advice, and it's the same for weightloss too is that you have to want it, and you have to want it BAD. I did nicotine patches for the first week. It helped with the worst cravings, and I refused to use them for too long.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • anthea17
    anthea17 Posts: 1
    Options
    It has been 5month's since I quit smoking. The best way to do it if you can is cold turkey. I do feel better and can finally breath much better. The only thing I am finding is that I have become very depressed. I have gained weight although I do not replace food instead of my ciggarette. I have alway's been a fitness fanatic so am finding because my body is so use to excersise that I can't even lose the weight I have put on from giving up the smoke's. I am hoping with time this weight will come off as it does get me down. But I guess the good new's is no more nicotine or chemical's inside my body, and all the money we are saving has been great.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm off the cigs 11 weeks yesterday. I used the e-cig for the first few weeks and the losenges for the first 4 weeks. I really threw myself into exercising and focusing on my diet instead of smoking (or lack thereof). Of course it was hard but to be honest i've quit a few times before with the patches and the tablets and i honestly found it easier this time without all that. The e-cig and the losenges got me over the first few weeks but i found it easier to come off them, easier than the patches or tablets anyway. Maybe its because i really wanted it this time (although i really wanted it all of the other times as well) or maybe its because my head is in a better place these days because of all the deep thinking and soul searching you have to go through when trying to lose weight. Don't really know but its working so i'm happy. To be honest if you can lose weight you can stop smoking! No matter how addicted you are, you just need to get into the right frame of mind. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • offthedeependay
    Options
    ***UPDATE*** I quit cold turkey..
    I haven't had a smoke since Sunday night,March 18.I gained 4 pounds in 2 days but by staying under my calories every day I am almost back to my weight I was on Sunday,I already feel much better and not coughing as much.my exercises are getting easier to breath ,Now that I have 5 days without smoking ,I know that I will never need to smoke again.here's to getting healthier..thanks for all that wrote support on here .couldn't have done this without you all.. :):smile:
  • offthedeependay
    Options
    Up-Date,,8 days no smoking,minimal weight gain the first 2 days ,4 pounds,,now down past my weight when I first quit.,,on the road to being healthier..thanks for the support on here:flowerforyou:
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Well done :-) I am so happy for you, I really am.
    I quit cold turkey on Nov 9th 2011 and looking back I can say it's the best decision I've ever made. I still put the money away for little or big rewards just to show what I can do with the money I used to puff into the sky.
    So far I've bought:
    a new hair cut and colour
    really nice fitness gear
    Jillian Michaels dvds
    a HRM
    a treadmill
    runners and a garmin
    My breathing is perfect, my skin looks healthy and I even reached my goal weight.
    Stick to it, my friend, you won't regret and will be on Cloud No 7 for a long , long time :-)
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend gave up smoking cold turkey 2 and a half years ago. I remember that the first week he was extremely edgy. But he kept at it. He installed a Firefox app that kept track of the number of days and the money not spent on cigarets.

He snaked a lot for a while. Always had gum at hand. And sunflower seeds (the ones with the shells on, so that it takes more time eating them), fruits.

It wasn't easy and he had times when he wanted to smoke badly. He even had dreams about it. But he didn't give in and I'm very proud of him. It definitely gets easier. And a lot healthier.
  • jdm120
    jdm120 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking after 10 years - cold turkey. I ate chinese pears - they're filled with loads of water, next to nothing in calories and it replaced the hand to mouth action I was so used to. You're just going to have to do it. There is no point in being thin, and smoking. The greatest thing you can do for your health is to stop smoking. I maintained my weight btw - I don't believe it's a fact that you're going to put on weight when stopping smoking. Eat the right foods, exercise more. Good luck. Add me if you need motivation.