contemplating quitting smoking...need advice

Options

Replies

• JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I started working out while I was still smoking. Working out made the easiest path for me to stop. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't complete things. my body did well for a month but I eventually got to a point where my muscles simply weren't getting enough oxygen and neither were my lungs. I couldn't step up my workouts because of the smoking. This made me really frustrated and it was easier to stop smoking....however, I did gain a few pounds, but that's okay I'm losing them. And I chewed gum. And sometimes I still have issues, but as long as I'm working out, that need to smoke is kept at bay. Good luck!!!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I also need to quit smoking. My workouts would be so much better if I could breathe better. The patches work for me but they leave huge burns on my skin. Has anyone else had that happen? If so, what did you do about it? Any suggestions to help quit are most welcome.
  • PrettyLydie
    PrettyLydie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have been quit for almost a year now. Here's what I did:
    1.) downgraded from Camel crush to pall malls...gross!
    2.) since my addiction was mostly with the act of smoking, I cut back to half a cigarette per smoke break
    3.) then I cut out one smoke break a day
    4.) then I went to only smoking a third of a cigarette per smoke break
    5.) then I slowly cut back until I only smoked one cigarette a day
    6.) then I realized how close I was to quitting, finished off the pack of gross pall malls
    7.) haven't bought a pack since :)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I also need to quit smoking. My workouts would be so much better if I could breathe better. The patches work for me but they leave huge burns on my skin. Has anyone else had that happen? If so, what did you do about it? Any suggestions to help quit are most welcome.

I think using quit smoking aids just prolongs the agony. I believe this is one reason I always thought I could smoke again, as stated in my longer post on this subject. I guess I always thought when I was done with my crutch, I was done "quitting", if that makes any sense.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking.

i quit June 16th of 2008 using this method. it worked.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 6 1/2 years ago. I had tried many times before that, sometimes for a few weeks, once managed almost 18 months.

I used the patch for 3 days to get over the physical withdrawl symptoms and then made small changes to regular habits. I gained 5 pounds or so but lost it again quickly. I also started knitting/crocheting to keep my hands busy. I couldn't tell you how many sweaters/afghans/baby outfits/scarves etc I made through that winter! :)

Ultimately, it comes to this...if you are truly and honestly ready to quit, you will succeed. Best of luck!
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I smoked for 33 years and quit almost 3 years ago ( July 21). I read Alan Carrs Easy Way to Quit Smoking about 3 times before I chose my date to quit. His book helped me to change my perception of the withdrawl portion among other things, and I actually lost 4 pounds when I did quit. You could learn to knit, crochet, embroider/cross stitch and not only keep you hands busy, but relax yourself and create something both beautiful and useful.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm two and a half years quit after smoking for about 15 years. I always kept twizzlers and sugar free gum around. The twizzlers were for my hands more than my mouth.

When I quit, I used Chantix, which I would not recommend...that stuff will make a person crazy! But I used it for 9 days. I also used quit.net which had a great support system. There were daily motivational messages, tips and suggestions, along with a forum.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have a plan,today is the last day chained to smoking.I wake up tomorrow a free man,thanks for all the sugestions and support
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Personally, I used Chantix...only for about a month though. Helped take that "edge" off. It'll be 2 years quit on April, 1st..(no foolin!) :)
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    All I know is that if you quit by the time you are 50 you cut your risk in half of getting any associated cancers :)
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My personal experience was that, although I might try, I could never really quit until I was ready... And I mean READY! I built up to that moment for a couple of years and in the end, I'd set my date and made my plan, prepared myself in anyway I could and all I could do was wait for the moment to arrive. It was a change of life situation... I'd been working away on remote construction sites for 7years and in the last 12mths my husband had been retrenched so he had returned to our home1600kms away. I couldn't leave the job until he had another job and, due to te GFC, this took almost 12mths. I hated my job, I hated the isolation and I missed my husband so badly it was like a sickness that plagued me every waking moment. As a result, I chain smoked. Looking forward to my next cigarette kept me going for the whole 12mths. Needless to say I was also slipping into a deep depression.

By the end of this time, when there was finally a light at the end of the tunnel (a site demobilization date!) and confirmation that hubby had secured a job, I hated smoking and yet I wouldn't let myself stop until that moment I was home and I knew it was really over. I began to desperately look forward to that date - it couldn't come quick enough. February the 19th, just over 2years ago now, was my last cigarette, and to be honest, I've never looked back. Quitting was easy because I was ready and I really WANTED to do it. I think I was on patches for about a week before I stopped using them as I just didn't need them - I wanted to be completely free!

Yeah, I put on weight... About 6 or 7kg I guess but it was definitely worth it. I'm not controlled by needing another cigarette now and I'm much fitter and healthier to tackle the weight loss.

If your really ready and if you really want it, hopefully you'll find it a lot easier that you might expect :)
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    My only tip is this - don't contemplate it - just do it! I quit cold turkey two weeks ago and haven't gained an ounce! Really, what's the point in losing weight and getting healthy if you are going to continue smoking????!!!! Worse case scenario is you gain a little weight back (Unlikely) but you already know you can deal with that....a win win situation - go for it!
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    All I know is that if you quit by the time you are 50 you cut your risk in half of getting any associated cancers :)
    well lucky for me I wont be 50 until October,,,
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    you need to find something you want more than cigarettes and focus on that. just know it is possible and that you dont need it and just avoid the stuff.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i am on day 2 of quit smoking...it sucks cuz your crave is food. i use technique of working out alot more and making myself stay n the calorie range...eventually you'll see u dont need one.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I've used the patch and when I felt a craving coming on I would work out (jumping jacks, push ups, running in place) until the craving finally subsided. Good luck! I know it's hard but I've been able to quit without gaining weight.
  • menutrit
    menutrit Posts: 19
    Options
    I've battled smoking for maybe a couple years and the reason I pick up the habit is because of frustrations of weight loss or stress. The real thing that has helped me STAY off and keep the pounds off from quitting is exercise. Studies have shown that those who incorporate a regular exercise regime report less urges to smoke, and I can personally account for that. It makes sense since you are getting the same endorphins from exercise rather than smoking. Hope this helps!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,697 Member
    Options
    I have smoked most of my life but quit about a year ago for 5 months then started again,I have finally lost most of the weight that I wanted to loose but I am worried about gainning it back if I quit smoking ,does anyone have any tips to get me through this without weight gain,I know I will probably want to snack more to find something to do with my hands instead of smoking.help
    What really is there to contemplate? Smoking is "risk behavior". Cut it out then you cut down the risk. Do you risk gaining some weight when you quit? Probably, but the risk is substantially less from a health point of view.
    There should be no contemplation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Good for you! As far as not gaining weight, just continue using MFP and track your calories. The fact that you're a "calorie counter" works to your advantage here. The people who gain weight when they quit do it from absentmindedly eating as a way to compensate for withdrawls.