Day 1 and a little nervous! 31/Female/WI

Options
eelary
eelary Posts: 9 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to myfitnesspal and at the starting line of my fitness journey. I have to be honest, I'm super intimidated and nervous about what I am about to undertake. Not because I'm afraid of exercising or eating better, but because I'm scared that I will fail.

Looking for people at any stage of their journey to help motivate, share ideas, share ups and downs with...

A bit about myself - I'm 31 years old and have been overweight my entire life. I'm from Wisconsin so comfort food is definitely an issue for me - namely cheese, bread, and beer! In my mid-twenties I was on weight watchers and felt really healthy, but after the end of a major relationship and also losing my mother to cancer I went straight to the fridge (and bar) and ate myself about 60 lbs over 5 years. I am fatter than I've ever been. I hate never being able to find clothes that fit and I hate the feeling of fear when friends suggest we do something active. I have reached a limit and will not allow myself the complete free-for-all any longer. I want to change. I NEED to change. I need to understand that I don't have to be the fat girl forever. I want the energy back! :) Sorry for unloading in this intro - just trying to be as completely honest with myself as possible this time!

I am excited that today could be a turning point....any suggestions would be amazing!

Replies

• pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Sending a friend request... You CAN do it!!!!
  • Cattlerancher
    Options
    Hello,

I am also new...I am not sure how to send a friend request but I think we could be great support.

Tammy
  • WeightWatchen
    Options
    Stick with Weight Watchers if you can. You know it works, and I've been on (and off) for 10 years now. As they say...nothing tastes as good as skinny feels! Just start slow in exercising. Don't overdo it or you'll burn out. Start out by circling your subdivision once. Then build on it. It was tough for me when I hit my highest point, and everything hurt. But I pushed through it and I am so glad I did. I'm having to start again because I haven't been able to exercise in months. So again, I'm pushing through the pain. It will get better and easier, I promise! We'll do this together!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A few things that've helped me avoid failure this time around:

Don't set unrealistic goals, especially no "lose 20 pounds by next month" type goals. There are way too many factors out of my control and I refuse to set myself up for failure.

NO deprivation. Everytime I've ever tried to say "no carbs" or "no pizza" or "no sweets", that's all I want and it drives me nutty when I CAN'T have something. Of course there are some things I can't keep in my house (because I will eat that whole pint of Ben & Jerry's in one setting and that's just not healthy) but for the most part it's everything in moderation. Still have pizza once per week and chocolate a few times a week and I'm happy.

Baby steps. Don't clean out all your cupboards and expect to pack healthy lunches and workout 5 days per week for an hour right away. This week, just get used to tracking again. Next week, try to hit your calorie goal at least 3 days. Week 3, hit your calorie goal at least 5 days. Week 4, start workout out. Week 5, eat more fruits and veggies. Week 6, work on drinking all your water. Etc Etc

Take body measurements. There are many times when the scale will stall on you but your body is still shedding fat. So you may only lose 5 pounds in a couple months time but all of a sudden all your jeans are falling off you. Inches are just as important as pounds.

Track your sodium. It's amazing how much a few high sodium food days can throw you off.

Every time you make a change, ask yourself if this is something you can do for the rest of your life. Can you go without pototes for the rest of your life? Maybe. Can you workout 7 days a week for the rest of your life? Not likely.

Best of luck to you!
  • mooreofsarah
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that I was in your same position 8 1/2 wks ago. I am 31 and lost weight before but allowed myself to gain all that weight back plus much much more I was looking at 133lbs to lose to reach my goal weight, and that seemed pretty impossible. What I did was just make smaller goals to reach like 10% of the weight I want to lose which always changes as I lose weight. For example my first goal was 13.3 lbs which I reached in about 3 weeks then my next goal was 12 lbs and so on it makes it feel so much more manageable like walking up several small hills instead of one huge mountain!
    No matter what just keep it up and you will reach your goals. Hope this helps some :)
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Sending a friend request your way! You CAN do this!
  • donnapajak
    Options
    :smile: I am trying to send a friend request. I am 35 and in the same boat. I have failed so many times. But I am sick and tired of being sick and tired so today I said is the day my life will change for good. Good Luck and my prayers are with you.
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have been on here a few months and I am down 17lbs. I have about 25 more to go!

The main things I noticed that helped me were limiting my cheese intake as well as my refined carb intake. I make sure I do not have bread for breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc..

I also make sure I eat lots of veggies each day..add a little hummus or lowfat dip and its a great addition to lunch or a snack.

Also exercising helps a lot!

I have had a couple slip ups, but its ok..Weighing myself and recording my food gets me back on track. This past week I gained a half a pound..I know its from slacking off at the gym, too much bread and I had a little too much chocolate :)
    But I am back on track this week, making sure I track it all. I like seeing the number on the scale go down..plus my summer clothes are all a bit too big, but I don't want them to fit again...and I am not quite ready to puchase new ones..so I have to stay on track so I can buy a couple sizes smaller!

Best of luck!
  • jenny6701
    jenny6701 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi im new also....feel free to add me ;)
  • tudistar22
    tudistar22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! Its my second day on here and I'm kinda nervous as well. But we can all do it! Friend request sent
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    Friend Request sent!
  • tngfordisney
    Options
    Stick with Weight Watchers if you can. You know it works, and I've been on (and off) for 10 years now. As they say...nothing tastes as good as skinny feels! Just start slow in exercising. Don't overdo it or you'll burn out. Start out by circling your subdivision once. Then build on it. It was tough for me when I hit my highest point, and everything hurt. But I pushed through it and I am so glad I did. I'm having to start again because I haven't been able to exercise in months. So again, I'm pushing through the pain. It will get better and easier, I promise! We'll do this together!

I love this quote.......nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!

Rick
  • KBside
    KBside Posts: 45
    Options
    You can do it! I just joined last night and I already feel better about decisions I made today. I would love to give you the support you need and also your support. :smile:
  • krazykando
    Options
    Sending you a friend request :smile: :happy:
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated. The only way to fail is to not try and keep at it. Just don't give up and you are a success.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Sending a friend request also,always glad to have support and be a support to someone else =)
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Don't set unrealistic goals, especially no "lose 20 pounds by next month" type goals. There are way too many factors out of my control and I refuse to set myself up for failure.

NO deprivation. Everytime I've ever tried to say "no carbs" or "no pizza" or "no sweets", that's all I want and it drives me nutty when I CAN'T have something. Of course there are some things I can't keep in my house (because I will eat that whole pint of Ben & Jerry's in one setting and that's just not healthy) but for the most part it's everything in moderation. Still have pizza once per week and chocolate a few times a week and I'm happy.

Baby steps. Don't clean out all your cupboards and expect to pack healthy lunches and workout 5 days per week for an hour right away. This week, just get used to tracking again. Next week, try to hit your calorie goal at least 3 days. Week 3, hit your calorie goal at least 5 days. Week 4, start workout out. Week 5, eat more fruits and veggies. Week 6, work on drinking all your water. Etc Etc

Take body measurements. There are many times when the scale will stall on you but your body is still shedding fat. So you may only lose 5 pounds in a couple months time but all of a sudden all your jeans are falling off you. Inches are just as important as pounds.

Track your sodium. It's amazing how much a few high sodium food days can throw you off.

Every time you make a change, ask yourself if this is something you can do for the rest of your life. Can you go without pototes for the rest of your life? Maybe. Can you workout 7 days a week for the rest of your life? Not likely.

Best of luck to you!

totally agree! you're clothes will be the true test - skim milk (farmland dairies is great) more water, less soda and start out exericsing slowly - i've lost 27 lbs since last July - you can do this! sending you a friend request
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    Welcome and good luck you can do this. The hard part is already done deciding to do it and taking the steps to do it. It hard, and rest assured you will fall(notice I did not say fail) you can only fail if you give up! When you want to do that remember what it was that brought you here in the first place. Please feel free to add me and I will be happy to help you anyway I can along the way...I'm no expert but I do know what I have went through and what has worked for me. Again good luck!!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My advice is to start today. You will succeed. This site is great many supportive friends and groups to chat with.
    A few things I have learned along the way

1. take baby steps don't set yourself up for failure
    2. you will binge occasionally get over it and move on. Tomorrow is another day.
    3. Drinks lots and lots of H2O
    4. Eat 5-6 meals daily 3 meals and at least 2 snacks a must
    5. Don't DEPRIVE yourself of anything just eat the correct portions
    6. Buy yourself a food scale it is amazing what a portion really looks like. I always thought they were much larger LOL
    7. Remember you are not alone you have all your friends here on MFP

good luck add me if you want.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options

Best of luck to you!

This post hit the nail on the head for sure. I especially agree with the paragraph about not depriving yourself of anything.....moderation is the KEY, and it works great for me. YOU GOT THIS!!!