Cleansing/Detox Drinks

Options
1235»

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Doesn't cranberry juice help clean out some organs or something?
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    I thought you were asking for hard science to answer your question.

I was, and while I do appreciate that you've shown that toxicity can be an issue, it doesn't show that detox or cleanse diets are the solution to that problem.

Even though it doesn't change my position on this, it was nice to read about toxins that aren't naturally cleansed.

When did I ever say they were? I responded to your claim that cellular toxic load was a myth.

I've said repeatedly there's no scientific evidence. That said, is it because the treatments don't work? Or because no studies have been done? Keep in mind that there's no money to be made from an expensive study that shows kale and spinach and bananas detox as well as some fancy new pill or tea. Pharmaceutical and nutriceutical companies are in business to make money not advise you to juice common foods. All the evidence points to the so-called detox products work by assisting in elimination by diuretic action or removing waste from the intestines, like clay and psyllium husk. Although no one has mentioned it yet, activated charcoal has the ability to adsorb (not absorb) a wide variety of substances.

Since you seem interested, I do not drink juice. I eat only whole fruits and veggies, preferably raw. I do sometimes run things through a juicer but I mix the pulp back in before using it in a recipe. My rationale is that the "active ingredient" may work better with other nutients in the food, such as the synergistic effect of vitamin C taken with calcium and magnesium. For example, nitrates in greens are much higher than in hot dogs and processed meats but they also contain vitamin C which appears to limit the carcinogenic activity. Processed meats do not which may be one reason why they are so problematic.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Doesn't cranberry juice help clean out some organs or something?

Cranberry juice is a good source of phytonutrients and antioxidants. Any cleansing benefit would be due to its diuretic properties. Its best known medicinal use is for urinary tract infections. Researchers have discovered that in petri dishes, cranberry metabolites in the juice prevent E. coli from sticking to other bacteria, limiting its ability to grow and multiply. If E. coli is able to connect with other bacteria, such as the bacteria found in the urinary tract, it forms a layer or "biofilm." This allows the bacteria to multiply and produce an infection. Cranberries interfere with that process.

http://women.webmd.com/news/20100823/cranberry-juice-fights-urinary-tract-infection-quickly
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Do more research, toxins are not "imaginary".

Can you please name some toxins that build up in your system, that cannot be cleansed by your body?

Anything in sufficient excess quantities could be on the list. But the ones we've researched and KNOW at least some of the effects are: DDT, PCB, dioxin, nalkanes, PCP and THC.

Over four million distinct chemical compounds have been reported in the literature since 1965, with 6,000 new compounds added to the list each week....More than 3,000 chemicals are deliberately added to food and over 700 have been identified in drinking water....Over 400 chemicals have been identified in human tissues, with some 48 found in adipose [fat], 40 in [breast] milk, 73 in the liver, and over 250 in blood plasma. The characters of chemicals found in adipose tissue are diverse, but tend to reflect biologically persistent or often used materials such as the ones I named above.

Chemicals stored in adipose and other tissues pose a continuing physiological and psychological threat to human health. Dioxin has been associated with ischemic vascular disease and with other physiological as well as psychological effects as long as ten years after initial exposure. Oncological studies have shown a significant association between PCB and DDE levels in fat and increased cancer incidence. In addition, PCB exposures have resulted in increased plasma triglycerides, even in the absence of overt symptoms of PCB toxification. PCBs in monkeys not only resulted in increased blood lipids, but negatively affected the ability to maintain pregnancy. Further, they have been related to personality and cognitive functioning of persons unexpectedly exposed.

Thus, any toxin not excreted by the body can be recycled continually into the bloodstream, re-exposing the system again and again. Since every cell in the body contains some fat—even if it’s a very small amount—the toxins can actually lodge anywhere.

It should be noted that women have more problems with toxins than do men because, with a higher percentage of fat in their bodies, they have more places to store the poisons. As Krohn and Taylor point out, women’s smaller size in general also causes them to become ill from chemicals more quickly than their male counterparts. Also, women’s higher levels of estrogen and progesterone can interfere with the efficiency of some enzymes utilized in the detoxification process. Finally, due to lower levels of the enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase, women are less able to detoxify alcohol. This includes the alcohols in solvents as well as the kind that you drink.

So, are you saying that if I drink water and eat healthy whole foods, my body with cleanse itself?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think the belief is that if you do a cleanse or juice fast you are concentrating your efforts on cleansing the body. You take in less foods that take a lot of energy to digest.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

Do more research, toxins are not "imaginary".

Can you please name some toxins that build up in your system, that cannot be cleansed by your body?

Anything in sufficient excess quantities could be on the list. But the ones we've researched and KNOW at least some of the effects are: DDT, PCB, dioxin, nalkanes, PCP and THC.

Over four million distinct chemical compounds have been reported in the literature since 1965, with 6,000 new compounds added to the list each week....More than 3,000 chemicals are deliberately added to food and over 700 have been identified in drinking water....Over 400 chemicals have been identified in human tissues, with some 48 found in adipose [fat], 40 in [breast] milk, 73 in the liver, and over 250 in blood plasma. The characters of chemicals found in adipose tissue are diverse, but tend to reflect biologically persistent or often used materials such as the ones I named above.

Chemicals stored in adipose and other tissues pose a continuing physiological and psychological threat to human health. Dioxin has been associated with ischemic vascular disease and with other physiological as well as psychological effects as long as ten years after initial exposure. Oncological studies have shown a significant association between PCB and DDE levels in fat and increased cancer incidence. In addition, PCB exposures have resulted in increased plasma triglycerides, even in the absence of overt symptoms of PCB toxification. PCBs in monkeys not only resulted in increased blood lipids, but negatively affected the ability to maintain pregnancy. Further, they have been related to personality and cognitive functioning of persons unexpectedly exposed.

Thus, any toxin not excreted by the body can be recycled continually into the bloodstream, re-exposing the system again and again. Since every cell in the body contains some fat—even if it’s a very small amount—the toxins can actually lodge anywhere.

It should be noted that women have more problems with toxins than do men because, with a higher percentage of fat in their bodies, they have more places to store the poisons. As Krohn and Taylor point out, women’s smaller size in general also causes them to become ill from chemicals more quickly than their male counterparts. Also, women’s higher levels of estrogen and progesterone can interfere with the efficiency of some enzymes utilized in the detoxification process. Finally, due to lower levels of the enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase, women are less able to detoxify alcohol. This includes the alcohols in solvents as well as the kind that you drink.

So, are you saying that if I drink water and eat healthy whole foods, my body with cleanse itself?

Yup. Provided there are no medical conditions that may hurt the process. However, even with kidneys that aren't fully functional a body will still cleanse itself.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

When did I ever say they were? I responded to your claim that cellular toxic load was a myth.

Just to be clear, I never claimed that. What I claimed was this:
    In other words, I don't believe there is any reason to detox given normal functionality of your system.

I also asked for names of toxins that cannot be cleansed by the body, which you provided and I thank you for that because I learned something.

What I should have very specifically stated, is that detox "diets" and juice fasts and cleanses via shoving some kale and a banana in a blender, are not effectively doing anything above and beyond what relatively normal food intake will do as it specifically pertains to a cleanse.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump