It Was Painful :(

Options
Okay folks I just started this today, and really, really want to succeed this time. I currently weigh 247 pounds (not good, I know!) I went for a 20 minute walk today and thought I was literally going to die. My legs hurt so bad that I had to stop. This is how out of shape I am. I was very frustrated and disappointed in myself, almost to the point of tears. I had major surgery 4 weeks ago (hyst) and since then, I'm always tired (my doctor said this is not uncommon,) but that wasn't even the issue while walking. My legs hurt so bad. I don't think there's anything physically wrong- I think I'm just that much out of shape.

I honestly hate to exercise, hate to sweat, but I know deep down that I must stick to it and I know things will get easier. Did anyone out there have these types of feelings/thoughts when first starting out?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    It will get better! We all have to start somewhere. Are you cleared for exercise? Not a hyst, but I had 2 c-sections and my doctor didn't even want me to vacuum for 6 weeks. Or pick up anything heavier than 5 pounds (7-lb baby, lol)
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    Start slowly. Just get up and move for 10 minutes for one week, add 2 minutes the next week, and so on. Usually it takes at least 6 weeks to recover from a major surgery such as yours. Don't overdo it or you will get discouraged.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    The good news is that you did it. You may have hated it. You may have struggled. You may have to force yourself to do it again, but you still did it. Since you recently had surgery, I wouldn't start pushing too much too fast but one 20 minute walk is 20 minutes that you weren't sedentary. It all starts there.

I hate exercising but I LOVE LOVE LOVE that high when I'm all done. And, when your body starts to change and people notice...it feels awesome and makes you want to keep going.

Stay strong. Applaud yourself for small victories...and keep your goals in sight. :)
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    I agree with not exercising at all until you get clearance from your Dr. Do not mean to alarm you but bloodcots can be an issue after surgery so please call your doctor asap about the pain in your legs. Better safe than sorry
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Count me in that category. When I joined MFP a little over four months ago I decided to use walking as an easy way to get back into a regular exercise routine.

I'd done the "10,000 steps" thing before and it always helped me. But when I started up this time, I found myself getting tired less than 15 minutes into my walk.

It would have been very easy to give up then and there. Instead, I reset my expectations and decided to gradually work my way up to the 10K a day level.

It took a while to build up the stamina, but now I've hit the 10K mark every day for a month (except for three days when I was sick with a cold).

So, don't give up! Start slowly, and gradually work your way up. You'll get there eventually!
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    My doctor did clear the way for me to start walking. Thank you!

I'll take your suggestions and just start slowly and not worry so much about it. I will definately applaud myself for doing what I can and just take it hour by hour.

I was feeling pretty miserable about myself, and I want to thank you all for brightening my mood. Much appreciated. :smile:
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options
    Start slowly. Just get up and move for 10 minutes for one week, add 2 minutes the next week, and so on. Usually it takes at least 6 weeks to recover from a major surgery such as yours. Don't overdo it or you will get discouraged.

^^ This ^^

I walk everyday and I promise, it will get easier. Start slow and don't overdo it.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Others who have had hysterectomies find this group helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • sschmidt928
    sschmidt928 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    First off, high five for starting!
    Hang in there. It was simply awful the first time I worked out. I also hated to sweat. But I stuck to it, and I stuck to it, and now, I am more or less addicted to exercise.
    So many props to you for doing it... the first step is the toughest. You're worth it.
  • Llstemmer
    Llstemmer Posts: 10
    Options
    Welcome fellow "Hyster Sister"! I had a hysterectomy about a year ago and yes, it takes awhile to get your endurance back. Walking is a great way to start building that endurance and you will be able to walk longer and longer in no time. Just remember while the exercise is important, changing the way you eat is the key. Good luck on your journey!! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It will get better. You made the first steps towards being a better you, which is great so dont be hard on yourself - I started and could only do 10 minutes on the elliptical at resistance 5. Now I can go for an hour on 11. Ive learnt to love sweating and moving and once I get into it, I impress myself the more I try.

Exercise is great because it rewards you by letting your body do more. EVERYONE can do exercise no matter what. Maybe try swimming - itll be low impact on your legs - I used to get really bad shin splints when I was unfit. Walking is great when you get into it - a bit of fresh air, you just feel better.

And if you can't motivate yourself to get into it - what's your alternative? Never being able to walk anywhere? Never improving your health? The time is still going to go by whether you choose to improve yourself or not, so you may as well give it a shot!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I was going to die - I was hoping for it, though. My first week was hell week. It got better from there. The hubs' turn is next. Stay the course! It's like anything else we learn to do. Start very basic, and very slow and over time it will get better. Challenge yourself within reason, and always consult with your physician if you're uncertain about the way something feels.

Keep going - you're doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere, 20 minutes is good.
    At my highest weight (220lbs) I couldn't even walk 10 minutes up the road without feeling like I was going to keel over & die on the spot. Now I'm 165 & I can walk for hours without getting out of breath, All thanks to MFP :happy:

Also, I hate exercising too, so I just don't do it.
    I walk about 15-30 mins a day, that's all.
  • msarazine
    msarazine Posts: 65
    Options
    Start slow and stick with it. The littlest changes can and will lead to bigger changes and improvements. You can do this!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Just remember, every day that passes is one day closer to your goal. You will get there in no time! Stay motivated! ♥
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    You'll be amazed at how quickly you build up to longer/faster walks. You didn't get this way overnight and you won't get to your goals overnight either. Slow and steady progress WILL get you there though! Good luck!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Gratz on getting out there! I promise it gets easier. Just slow and steady. One foot in front of the other. YOU can do it! =^_^=
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It does get better. You can do it. take your walk gently.

Do give yourself some permission to feel uncomfortable, to sweat a bit, though. I think that, those of us who have been big, have often acquired a mindset that sweating, feeling exertion, feeling pain somehow means that we're 'doing it wrong'. We've all had bad experiences of exercise, of feeling silly, of feeling less able than someone else, and I think for many of us, we've internalised a belief that it's not really for us.

Today, I was on the elliptical, I was sweating a bucket. I used to feel real shame about this - like people were thinking 'whoah, look at that disgusting fat chick, sweating over there'... But today, I realised I felt pride. Pride at how hard I was working, at how fit I'm becoming. But to get to pride, I had to allow it to be ok to ache a bit, and to sweat a lot.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself! Take your time and find your own pace. You will be so surprised in 6 months when you look back on this post and think, "wow! I've come so far!" If you need motivation, spend some time every morning on the Success Stories forum. You are not alone, and there are so many people daily posting pictures of their success and many of them felt the same way that you do right now. Keep telling yourself that your story will be there too someday, and it will!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! I HATED exercising! The idea of it made me grumpy! I cant believe how much I love it now. The trick is starting off by finding something YOU ENJOY. Don't feel like you "must" do it a certain way.

Also sounds like you're being quite hard on yourself considering you just had surgery??

The hardest part is starting... you did that already :)