just bought some cottage cheese... now what do i do with it?

Options
femmi1120
femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
Ideas please!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I can only stand it in smoothies - 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup frozen fruit, milk, almond milk or water to thin it enough to blend. Add a scoop of protein powder if you have it :smile:
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I just finished eating 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a nice drizzle of honey on it. This is one of my favorite snacks right now.
    It fills me up a bit and gets rid of my sweet cravings.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I put it on toast with black pepper and cucumbers....sounds weird, but so yummy!
  • elliebator
    Options
    I like cottage cheese mixed with fruit --- especially pineapple. I also eat it with chopped vegetables!!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Steam your favorite veggies and then put them in a frying pan with some Soyrizo or other vegetarian chorizo (Trader Joes has a good one too). Mix them together until the veggies are warm and completely coated with the soy. Serve over rice with cottage cheese on top. Yum!
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Cottage cheese cheesecake!

Ingredients - Crust
    1/4 cup favorite butter spread
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 cups cottage cheese
    1/2 cup skim milk
    2 eggs (or just the whites)
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2/3 cup sugar (you can use less or equivalent amount of stevia/truvia)
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Melt butter in an 8 inch square pan. Stir in graham cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Pat over bottom and onto sides of dish. Set aside.
    2.In a blender, combine cottage cheese, milk, eggs, flour, lemon juice, vanilla, 2/3 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth. Pour into prepared crust.
    3.Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until filling is firm. Allow to cool completely.

You can also skip the crust and bake it to be more like a custard and get rid of a bunch of calories.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. Just finished 1/2 cup, plain, straight from the container. A great sweet treat for me is to add a tablespoon of strawberry preserves to cottage cheese. Never tried honey - I will have to try that. I also learned on MFP about cottage cheese in smoothies. It is fantastic. Sounds weird, I know. But it's very good in fruit smoothies.

I like the steamed vegetables ideas. You can also try a little salt and pepper. Or even salsa. Cottage cheese is pretty versatile. Definitely experiment with brands. Big taste difference across brands. I get Horizon a lot here in Texas. Their lowfat is good enough for me (some brands I need the full fat to really like it). There is a brand I found in San Francisco that was awesome - forget the name - but it was easy to find there. I'd know it if I heard it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Eat straight or with fruit or with yogurt.

Make oatmeal cottage cheese pancakes
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    4 egg whites
    1 tsp vanilla

blend in blender and cook like pancakes.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    http://www.dashingdish.com/2010/03/i-cant-believe-its-not-a-milkshake/

I like it in salad with a low fat ranch dressing. Makes the dressing go further. ;)
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine used to mix salsa into the cottage cheese and either use it as a dip,or a sandwhich spread. The color and consistancy is a little off putting,but it does taste good.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I like it mixed with fruit.

It's also great for making frittata's, quiches, eggs, etc. more fluffy
  • latinahada
    latinahada Posts: 168
    Options
    I like mine with pepper on it, it already has a fair amount of sodium in it so I stay clear of adding salt...I like mine with fruit, salsa is also good mixed with it & I prefer the small curd.
  • lexidell46
    lexidell46 Posts: 143
    Options
    I add fruit to mine.
  • rtbrwinter
    Options
    I put 1/4 cup on top of my salad...it's delicious!
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    make a "salad"

wheel of baby spinach leaves around a small plate. slices of apples and or pears on top of the leaves towards the outside. pineapple ring on the inside. scoop of cottage cheese in the center. seedless grapes also are good with this.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Natural PB + some whey + berries, freeze it for a bit....you won't regret it.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    toss in some crushed pineapple..........done
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I add a couple spoonfuls on the side of spaghetti (or even just the sauce), and mix as desired for a nice hot-cold temperature difference.
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day.

I have it in a salad wrap or on a baked potoato. Or just dip some breadsticks in it.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    *I* would stare at it suspiciously and question its existence.

I've seen other people just eat it with some salt and pepper.