Jogging on treadmill vs outside

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
Easier on the treadmill, harder, or the same? I am treadmill only since I live in the country and there are no sidewalks and I'm wondering if it's harder outdoors or not.

Replies

• maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've heard that jogging outdoors is much more difficult than jogging on a treadmill at no incline. To combat this, I jog on the treadmill at a 1.0 incline... I know it's not quite the same as jogging outside, but it at least takes a bit more effort than jogging at no incline.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside so time passes. My shins also bother me on a treadmill. However I will run on any where I can fit in a workout. Including a trail, street, or treadmill. I think do what works best for you.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    To me the treadmill is boring, so I rarely use it, like every couple of months. Running outside is harder because you are moving you are moving your own weight. On a treadmill the belt is helping you move. But, the treadmill is better than nothing.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Its way harder outside until you learn to pace yourself. You tend to run much faster and the hills show up whenever they want not when you want!!
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've heard that jogging outdoors is much more difficult than jogging on a treadmill at no incline. To combat this, I jog on the treadmill at a 1.0 incline... I know it's not quite the same as jogging outside, but it at least takes a bit more effort than jogging at no incline.

Definitely agree. I feel like there's more resistance when you're outside. My heart beat jumps up at a higher pace outside too.
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    To me the treadmill is boring, so I rarely use it, like every couple of months. Running outside is harder because you are moving you are moving your own weight. On a treadmill the belt is helping you move. But, the treadmill is better than nothing.

^^^This.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    outside is physically harder, but inside is boring and therefore can be mentally harder. I'm much more likely to burn out early on the treadmill, but that might also be because when I run outside, if I get tired early, I'm still a mile or two away from my house...
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    I find outside to be much harder, just because of the difference in incline even on a "flat run". I also live in a semi rural area, and have no trouble running outside without a sidewalk, I just make sure I am highly visable (sometimes I have to move off the road for approaching vechicles).
  • maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I want to add to my original statement that yes, I find jogging boring (but then I find ALL cardio exercise boring at the gym... I just do it for how I feel afterwards!), but at my gym there are TVs on some of the treadmills so it helps that I can plug my headphones in and watch the news to pass the time. I don't have cable or even an antenna at home so this is a treat for me... LOL.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I *hate* the treadmill with the white hot heat of 1000 suns.

It's easier for me physically and psychologically outdoors. I can run a 5k in in 24:59... that's about 7.5mph... but I can't run more than three minutes at that pace on the treadmill.

The worst part for me is the lack of airflow. Even with a ceiling fan, there's no breeze on the treadmill, so the sweat just pours off me. Outside, even on a still day, I'm creating my own 6-8mph breeze!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    For me I find running outside way easier, not just because it's more fun, but on the treadmill it hurts my knees and back. Not sure why. If I can't go outside I prefer to jog in place over the treadmill, neither of those hurt my joints after, but the treadmill does everytime!
  • KtJacobs32
    Options
    I think it's easier to run outside than inside. Generally I run long distance (6 plus miles) so if I run on the treadmill I go insane. If I've been training on a treadmill, I tend to run faster outdoors even with hills. It really depends on what you're wanting to do with your running too. If you want to train for a half or full marathon, run outside. If you're running to burn calories, seeing the digital display of calories, speed, and distance may motivate you on the treadmill.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Funny about the sweating. I thought that was just me. The few times I get on the treadmill the sweat pours off of me. It's everywhere but when I look around at everyone else they look fine. Another reason why I HATE the treadmill.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and at one point asked a trusted avid runner/former navy man what he thought. This is what he told me, from the days of pt the navy he learned that...When you run on the treadmill you are using your muscles differently than you would running on the road/trails. On the treadmill you are actually working more just to stay on the treadmill and to balance. You can still get a great work out on the treadmill, you'll just be working the muscles differently than you would on the road. Is it easier, not necessarily, its just hard to switch back and forth b/c of how the muscles are used differently.

I had asked the ? b/c I want to train for a 5k and I live out in the country on a dirt road that is either so rutted or so dusty that its not ever good to run on.
  • laminy83
    laminy83 Posts: 16
    Options
    I like outside, when I started back working out I ran outside n when I got to the gym. I noticed I could run for 30+ mins n b okay, but once I started running outside again I felt like I was going to die!!! Now I do both gym on the treadmill but with incline and outside
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, I was using incline, until it broke on my brand new treadmill lol.

Thanks all! It's not safe to run on our road because it's narrow with no shoulder and the speed limit is 45mph. And people take that as a starting suggestion lol. At this point I'm just in it for the calorie burn. I love the treadmill though. I can watch tv. Plus my husband isn't always here when I work out so someone has to watch the kids lol.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I find that running outside is harder for me. I like the treadmill because I like watching the numbers change, it helps motivate me to keep going because I can play little tricks on myself to keep going. Don't know if that makes any sense to anyone. I like the controlled environment of running inside.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It's harder, but SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE, in my opinion. that it's mentally easier. And I think with jogging so much of it's mental. I got the runkeeper app on my phone, and it tells me how far I'm running and my pace - LOVE it!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is so much easier for me, due to the predictable terrain and the controlled climate.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    treadmill is easier but boring. I guess if you had the TV playing that would be alright...

When I run outside it seems like time goes by so quickly. When I'm on a treadmill.. it goes by soooo sloowwwwww..... so boring...