Late Night Snacking!

Options

Replies

• krockwell
    krockwell Posts: 34
    Options
    I do greek yogurt & blueberries for an evening snack (if my calories allow)... and sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon! :) It satisfies me and fills me up! :) Best of luck finding something that works for you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I save calories for night time, and then I eat at night.

I stay at my calorie goal for the day.

Try it!
    This. It's not unusual for me to eat at 11:00 pm at night.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Try it!

This, I can eat light during the day no problem and I eat at least half if not more of my cals much later in the day. It works for me
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Try it!

^^^This!
  • almaster666
    almaster666 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If I have dinner early (before 7:30PM) - I make sure to save extra calories and then have a banana and / or greek yogurt before sleep.
    Try to avoid simple sugars before sleep. They give you an energy boost that will make it harder to fall asleep and will also be stored by your body as fat because of inactivity.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If I have dinner early (before 7:30PM) - I make sure to save extra calories and then have a banana and / or greek yogurt before sleep.
    Try to avoid simple sugars before sleep. They give you an energy boost that will make it harder to fall asleep and will also be stored by your body as fat because of inactivity.

Even at a deficit?
    <.<

>.>

Nah!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

Try it!

Yup, me too!
    Works a charm.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    The one thing I have learned about myself is that once I start eating I have a harder time stopping than if I simply abstain until later in the day. Try adjusting the schedule by which you eat.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    this might be TMI but having sex or *kitten* if no parther! but that always helps get my mind off food! unless whipped cream is involved but u can try the light version!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    this might be TMI but having sex or *kitten* if no parther! but that always helps get my mind off food! unless whipped cream is involved but u can try the light version!

I can honestly say that masturbating has never helped me get thin.
    I have had fun trying this method, though. :laugh:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast.

I have a small, protein laden lunch around 400 cals.

I then have dinner around 11pm, normally 1100 cals ish. The rest goes on snacks before bed. I've never been so fit, full of energy, and feeling great! :D
  • katiedidd66
    Options
    I have always been a late night "crunch" snack eater, ex. chips, popcorn, etc. Now my late night go to snacks are sugar snap peas, baby carrots, sliced apple with peanut butter or almonds. If I do have a sweet tooth I eat yogurt w/ blueberries or sunsweet prunes. (I know that sounds like a "nursing home" snack, but they are really awesome)
  • zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I read The Hunger Games,and in the book Katniss chews mint leaves to tell her stomach that it's time to stop eating because she drinks tea at home after dinner...I started this routine with green tea after dinner...It works for me unless m daughter keeps me up late and I have hunger pains...I have a apple or cereal...I think as long as the late night snacks are healthy you will bw fine.You should also read The Hunger Games,reading distracts me from eating :)
  • Uglyduckling2swan
    Options
    I'm guilty too especially when I'm watching tv. I now drink hot Pu Erh tea that I bought in China at night after dinner and it effectively reduce my night grazing.
  • zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    does the tea do anything for your metabolism?
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

You won't store fat eating at a deficit regardless of what you eat and when you eat it.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Track it.
    I find that occasionally when I didn't eat enough of something during the day, I get a strong craving before I sleep. Most often it's protein, and it only takes a small amount to help - a spoonful of peanut butter, a slice of cheese, yogurt or warm milk.
    Sometimes it's a sweet (fruit) or chocolate craving. As Uglyduckling2 suggested tea can be good. Some teas are naturally sweet (licorice) and some can help you relax (lavender, camomile).
    It's much better to eat one small piece of chocolate than to graze... eating everything but what my body wants.
    But learn to recognize the difference between a craving that can be satisfied and a general desire to do something (which translates to eating) while you settle down. If you just need something to help you settle down, try reading or listening to music, the radio, etc. Or a gentle activity like meditation, stretching, writing a gratitude journal. TV tends to have too many food oriented things, especially the commercials.
    Good luck!
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So my dilema is kind of the opposite, I am on a night shift, right now I can say I am liking it. But I find myself getting up more during the middle of the day and wanting to eat something, anything. I just want to grab something quick, and go right back to bed. I seem to get up every couple hours or so. Part of it is the dogs, my oldest knows and can sleep most of the day, my youngest one though, just over a year, maybe two and new to our clan. He just doesn't get it...with time. I'll be on this shift till at least the end of June. The other part I just don't think a body is meant to sleep during the day. The funny thing about this is that when I go back to a normal sleep schedule and sleep at night, I don't hardly ever get up, and when I do it's a quick run outside and right back to bed. Any thoughts?
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I really try to stop eating at least 2 hours before bed - not because Oprah started a craze a decade ago, but simply because I sleep better, and honestly, if I eat late, I am really tired and tend to binge!! :noway:

I can gauge if I am truly hungry by drinking a large glass of water, and then waiting at least 15 minutes - usually the cravings subside. Often, when I think I am hungry, I am actually dehydrated!! What I do (and I know this sounds silly) when I REALLY want to eat something, but know I shouldn't, is brush my teeth! Or pop in some minty gum if it happens to be during the day when I am out and about. If you HAVE to have something, go with some veggies.

You can do it!!! Make it a goal! Start training yourself to not snack so late...

Additionally, try going to bed earlier...I know it's not fun, but your body needs rest!!! Bonus - if you are sleeping, you won't be snacking!! AND you will have more energy to exercise and have fun looking hot!!! :wink:
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Try it!

I do this too.

Me too. I do IF and it's really helped me a lot :)