I do not like to cook. Do You know of any healthy meals that

Options

Replies

• hnguthrie
    hnguthrie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    instead of becoming a cooker... become an experimental foodie!

i started out making basic-y fingerfoods- but i made them healthy so they would be beautiful adn I'd indulge int hem. Slowly i wanted more and more beautiful things to create- as opposed to throw into a pot. SOmetimes appealing to your creative side helps motivate?

Best of luck!!!

I did something similar. I used to hate cooking, and now I enjoy it! I found working with healthy, mostly whole ingredients (in my case, plant-based) made me seek out more interesting flavors while using really simple methods. It made the process enjoyable.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My favorite crock pot recipe: spray crockpot with Pam, insert whole fryer chicken, sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning, cook on "high" for 4-6 hours, DONE! Perfect roast chicken! Seriously! Serve with instant brown rice and microwave steamed broccoli on the side. The end ;)
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    microwave a baked potato.. top with broccoli.. (also can be microwaved) and 1 c. lowfat cottage cheese.. some black pepper.. and yummo.. also.. i agree with the crockpot idea... just did a chicken stroganoff and it was to die for without all the fat and cals..

I put 2lbs frozen chicken breast in the crockpot..
    pour over 1-2 c sliced mushrooms or more if you like ( could also leave these out if your not a fan)
    then i mixed 2 containers nonfat plain greek yogurt ( mine was kroger bran) with 1 can cream of mushroom soup( I used the regular)
    and 1 pkg dry lipton onion soup mix.. pour that mix over the chicken and mushrooms.. cover and cook on low all day while at work.. come home to hot steamy yummy dinner.. makes 8 servings.

I also serve the chicken stroganoff over a microwave baked potato..
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    forgot to add .. with the chicken stroganoff.. I just individual portion and freeze for fast and quick meals ..
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I will look into some of these great ideas. I know how to cook, but just do not like to....lol. I lost interest. When I have company, I do not mind cooking, if that make sense to you....lol.
  • asmaram
    asmaram Posts: 1
    Options
    I found the easiest thing to do is cook as much as possible on Sunday's and then reheat the rest of the week. If I ever get really busy though, Amy's health foods (http://www.amys.com/) are my favorite. I'm pescatarian though so these are my favorite options as they are vegetarian for the most part and some are gluten free as well.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot Creamy Salsa Chicken

*You can use whatever variation of ingredients you want - I just chose these because they're low in sodium.

6 Giant Eagle Nature's Basket - All Natural Fresh Chicken - 99% Fat Free Hand Trimmed Boneless Skinless Breasts, 4 oz. each
    1 can Campbell's Healthy Request Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
    1 can Kuner's Black Beans No Salt Added, drained
    1 jar Pepper Dog - Salsa
    1 cup Green Giant Niblets Whole Kernel Corn (Frozen)
    1 envelope McCormick's Chili Seasoning Mix - Low Sodium

Rinse off chicken & place in a baking dish. Top with soup, beans, corn, salsa & seasoning mix. Mix around with a spoon until it's all blended and covering all of the chicken.

You can either make this in your crock pot on low for 6 hours, or in the oven. I covered it with foil at 350 for 2 hours, then dropped the temperature to 300 for a last hour, uncovered.

Serve with rice.
  • pinkpandangel105
    pinkpandangel105 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love a crock pot but also Pressure cookers! Its a lot faster than a crock pot and super healthy! QVC has one made by Montel Williams which comes with a great recipe book
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    In some states there is a store called Fresh & Easy. They pre-make real food meals from organic, healthy foods that are great. They even have a microwave in-store so you can buy a frozen meal, nuke it, and take it back to the office. Of course, they'r'e a grocery store so you can pick up just about anything for healthy snacks there, as well. All at some pretty decent prices. I "discovered" them about a month ago and I love this store!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Cooking isn't hard and it's actually fun and interesting. Martha Stewart's Cooking School is a great book that will help you learn how to cook all sorts of things.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you would enjoy using a barbeque ??
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    When I don't want to cook, I heat up the instant pouch of rice and put some tinned tuna and some salad vegies and maybe some nuts and some dip that I like.

Salads, look at some interesting salad recipes which just require you to throw things together.

I'm also a fan of smoked chicken and smoked fish that you can put over rice or a salad.

There are lots of things that you can do with canned tomatoes, or just cook once a week and freeze.

GG
  • jstrandquest
    Options
    While crockpots are great, I use my rice cooker even more than the crockpot for healthy meals. I bought an Aroma steamer at Costco for $30 last Christmas. It's got a slow cook (crockpot) function as well as timer for rice cooker feature, & traditional white and brown rice settings.

Here's two of my favorite rice cooker/steamer meals:

Salmon, Asparagus & Rice
    Put rice & water in the bottom/metal section. In the top/steamer basket - place salmon and asparagus. Close the lid. Press the button to cook & in 30 minutes, dinner's ready.

I sometimes use a knife to cut slits in the the salmon and put strips of ginger and/or Chinese black bean paste in the slits for something different. I've even served this as a meal for company. It's always a hit!

One pot spaghetti and meatballs
    Whole grain spaghetti (8 oz), 1 jar of pasta sauce (24 - 32 oz), precooked turkey meatballs. Toss everything in the rice cooker. Fill the empty jar (from pasta sauce) with water and then add that to the rice cooker. Stir all ingredients. Close the lid. Time cook for 30 - 45 minutes (depending on how you like your pasta).

For a richer sauce, instead of 100% water, try 50/50 wine/water or 50/50 beer/water.

To add veggies -- after the spaghetti/meatballs has cooked (timer rings) open the lid carefully and toss in a few handfulls of fresh spinach, or chopped broccoli, zucchini or other veggie of choice. Close the lid for 5 minutes to allow the veggies to steam.

Dinner is served and there's only 1 pot to clean!

I understand some people have been successful cooking chicken and rice at the same time in a rice cooker (similar to the salmon recipe) but I've never attempted it.
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't always have time to cook. But I motivate myself to do it because when you cook, you know exactly what is going in the food. You know if the kitchen the food being prepared in is clean, if the cook has washed his hands, etc. You also are more likely to end up with food with fewer preservatives and fresher ingredients. It is a pain sometimes, but especially if you make a batch and put it away, it is pretty easy.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for dinner...omelette with egg white & lots of veggies....stir fry..

Good Luck
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Love this topic, I hate cooking!!!
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I am very impressed at the ideas that you all have shared. Thanks a million.
  • griebelt
    griebelt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Progresso soups...healthy choices...a ton of selections...I eat it every single day for lunch with an apple and yogurt...very filling!!!