How???? Just how????

Options

Replies

• iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a few days till you freak out...trustttttttttttt me I had the exact same issue going on many many times and its when you give up that you ruin your diet...you know that you are doing great so dont focus on what the number is saying just keep doing what your doing & it will deff come off!
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As others have said it will NOT be muscle gain. You will not put on muscle in a maintenance or calorie deficit. If you feel you haven't eaten 10500 calories more than you've burned then it will all even out in time.

It is likely to be water weight. Water is THE most important thing for our bodies, which is why you will die a lot sooner without it than without food.

Because of this the body get very possessive about it (and rightly so). It will hold onto water if it feels either it will need more to do its general work (transportation, temperature regulation, muscle repair etc), or if if feels in short supply.

It is therefore important to make sure you are fully hydrated for normal functions as well replacing what you've sweated during exercise etc. In this way you will maintain an equilibrium.

best wishes
  • sarahjean222
    Options
    When I know I'm going to be stepping up my workout regime, I skip a week weighing in. It can be frustrated for all the above reasons. Make sure you are tracking your inches. Something I found while my body is going through changes is the circumference of my lower abs is growing!!! Then I realized my butt is no longer hanging down mid-thigh and is actually lifted now, causing my ghetto-booty to be perky, but adding some girth to my lower back. As funny as it sounds, I'm saying that to point out this: Look at yourself objectively. Your body will go through changes, some good (J-Lo watch out - you're backside is gonna have some competition!) and some not exactly as you hoped for! (OMG! Did my boobs run away?!) You are changing. You are getting healthier! And you can make it to your goals!!! Good luck as you continue your journey!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    As others have said it will NOT be muscle gain. You will not put on muscle in a maintenance or calorie deficit. If you feel you haven't eaten 10500 calories more than you've burned then it will all even out in time.

It is likely to be water weight. Water is THE most important thing for our bodies, which is why you will die a lot sooner without it than without food.

Because of this the body get very possessive about it (and rightly so). It will hold onto water if it feels either it will need more to do its general work (transportation, temperature regulation, muscle repair etc), or if if feels in short supply.

It is therefore important to make sure you are fully hydrated for normal functions as well replacing what you've sweated during exercise etc. In this way you will maintain an equilibrium.

best wishes

Good post. Water will make our weight fluctuate a lot, sometimes it'll be 1lbs, or 2lbs, or 3lbs, or 5lbs.. You've lost 10kilograms so far so you're doing something right. Just be patient and ride it out!
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    Thanks guys, your encouragement means a lot! So, onwards and upwards and off for a swim!! :happy:
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Probably mostly water retention. Damaged muscle fibres retain water during the repair process so there will be a gain in weight after intense exercise. A loss will show after a few days when the muscles have had time to repair, provided in the meantime you haven't stuffed your face!! :)
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have been diligent with my food for the past weeks, and over the course of this weekend alone I walked and hiked over 25km. Am I sore? Well, my calves are very tight. Did I drink all of the water that I could? Let's just say GALLONS! Did the scale register a loss? Nope, NOT YET! Do I know that it will? Definitely.....I know that my muscles are healing and holding onto water, so the scale will show my hard work in a few days....but then again, I will be back out there adding more milage, so the scale is not going to be the best judge.

The moral of the story? Don't let the scale determine how well you are doing....take your measurments, listen to your breathing when you are working out (is it getting easier to carry on a convo while you exercise?), how do you feel.....like you are getting healthier? No one but you sees the number on the scale, so don't let it determine how you are doing!!!!!
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have been diligent with my food for the past weeks, and over the course of this weekend alone I walked and hiked over 25km. Am I sore? Well, my calves are very tight. Did I drink all of the water that I could? Let's just say GALLONS! Did the scale register a loss? Nope, NOT YET! Do I know that it will? Definitely.....I know that my muscles are healing and holding onto water, so the scale will show my hard work in a few days....but then again, I will be back out there adding more milage, so the scale is not going to be the best judge.

The moral of the story? Don't let the scale determine how well you are doing....take your measurments, listen to your breathing when you are working out (is it getting easier to carry on a convo while you exercise?), how do you feel.....like you are getting healthier? No one but you sees the number on the scale, so don't let it determine how you are doing!!!!!

Very Well Put.... Thanks
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me too! I've upped my exercise, drink at least 2-3 litres of water per day, eat between 1200 and my BMR 1580 cals per day and I got weighed yesterday and gained 4lbs.

people tell me it's either water or muscle.

It is frustrating but I have lost some in inches.

Have you been measuring yourself?

Good luck. x
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It's denser. 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle weigh 1lb each.

This is very pedantic.

When people say x weighs more than x they mean by density/volume. They obviously don't mean 1lb is more than 1lb, that is obvious.

People will say bricks weigh more than feathers, and muscle weighs more than fat. It's simply a shorthand way to say a certain volume of one thing weighs more than a certain volume of another.

Or you could just say the right thing. Accuracy is important when giving advice to someone. You don't know that they will understand your short hand. If I'm a pendant, I'm a correct one :P
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Great post. Thanks. It is true - your muscle's ache like mad and you drink plenty of water to help, but then you go and do another workout - back to square one with the muscles I guess. I suppose time will tell. Thanks. x
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When you exercise alot it makes your muscles sore, when they are sore and injured, they retain water. It will let and and you will drop it.

THIS ^^^^
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It's denser. 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle weigh 1lb each.

This is very pedantic.

When people say x weighs more than x they mean by density/volume. They obviously don't mean 1lb is more than 1lb, that is obvious.

People will say bricks weigh more than feathers, and muscle weighs more than fat. It's simply a shorthand way to say a certain volume of one thing weighs more than a certain volume of another.

True, but it's a favorite pet peeve of people around here.

Anyway, no one gains two pounds of muscles in a single weekend of exercise.

Water weight held to repair the muscles makes sense to me. I always gain weight after my idea of a hard workout (and it isn't even that much of a workout in my case). It even takes a few days of not exercising before it seems to go away.

So yeah, ignore the scale, you know you spent the weekend being healthy and burning a lot of calories, don't let those numbers fool you!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I had the exact thing happen last weekend. Had a crazy hard workout week and scale showed me up 3 pound at my weekly weigh in. I looked at my diary and it had been higher in sodium than normal (still okay) and I had diet soda which I know doesn't work well for me. I was within calories for the week and jsut couldn't figure it out. I reweighed two days later and was back to normal. Theory: I drank a lot while working out and that combined with the more extreme workout (can causes body to reserve water)sodium and diet soda cause water retention lead to the apparent gain, but becasue it was water it went away with a few days.
    Chin up keep up the good work it will pay off!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It's denser.

OMG I wish people would stop posting this nonsense. Muscle weighs more because it's denser!! I'm sure the poster was intelligent enough to know that 1 lb of muscle doesn't weigh more than 1 lb of anything else. Geez!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Never mind I don't want to be tore apart for that. Just wish people would stop saying muscle weighs more then fat, it doesn't make sense.
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options

This is very pedantic.

Thank you so much :)
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    you gain muscle!!! Muscle weights more that fat.
    Do not worry.
    Do not register only your weight, take you measurments also!
    When I started running I gain 3Kls (almost 7lbs) in a few months, and i noticed my legs were great and I lost some inches in several places :)

Kisses

OMG, seriously? NO, muscle doesnt weigh more than fat. one pound of something vs. one pound of something else is still one pound!!!!!! havent we already learned this by now!!
    And No, you didnt gain muscle!!
    its just water weight!!
    it takes ALOT of time and ALOT of training to gain muscle mass, look at weight lifters and how long it takes them to get to where they are!

its just water weight trust me!

anytime you start a new workout your muscles need more water and fuel to repaire therfore it will hold on to the water for recovery. it will go away in a few days.

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/weight-gain-with-new-exercise-programs/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/393797-water-retention-after-resistance-training

Uh yes, per VOLUME, muscle DOES weigh more than fat! It is absolutely possible to be the same size and weigh more, if your body composition is more muscular because the muscle is more dense and weighs more by VOLUME than fat does. One square inch of cement weighs more than one square inch of jell-o.

I understand folks are trying to dispel a misconception, but please, if you are going to reply, make sure you give correct information.

To the original poster: please, don't rely so heavily on the scale. Your weight can fluctuate several times daily, depending on water retention and many other factors. Get yourself a tape measure and use your mirror - they will never lie to you! And, kudos on the karate! I was heavy into TaeKwonDo before I had my daughter and loved, loved, loved it!! She is going off to college next year and at nearly 50, I'm thinking about taking it back up again! Keep rocking it girl!!
  • jmlopes
    jmlopes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't be alarmed, measure yourself to see. I started 2 weeks ago going to the pool 3 times/week for an 45min each training. barely lost weight, but I feel stronger with less difficulty doing the training and am actually getting thinner but not yet lighter =)

like other people already said here, muscle is more dense than fat. You can weight the same but loosing volume.

As an example: having 1 pound of cotton and 1 pound of lead. They weight the same yes (1 pound each), but have different volumes! that is because of the density of each material, something similar is going between fat and muscle. Hope it helps
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, if I workout very hard my body just retains water. For example I weighed in on Friday at 236, I didnt go to the gym Saturday because I went out and ate what I wanted and drank until 3 in the morning, Sunday hungover I said screw it no gym today and had take out...Monday morning I weighed 232. Hit the gym again hard yesterday and today I am 235lbs. I have given up with the scale, it isn't accurate and is really a meaningless number if I feel and look better!