How do I get my motivation back?

Options
Okay so I have been here for almost 7 months and when I first started I was really motivated, but I had a wreck on May 29, 2009 and ever since then I have been eating foods that are not the wisest food choices,stress eating, not exercising and being totally lazy. How do I get that motivation back that I had a the beginning. I have gained 7 pounds, I thank God that it isn't no more than that but I am ashamed that I have gained it back. I don't want to go back to being 292 pounds like I was when I joined mfp. How do you all stay on it to reach your goals?

Replies

• cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    It really is a mental thing IMO to be motivated. You just have to decide it's what you want and do it. I have been struggling with my motivation so I thank God that I have my family doing this with me. They look to me to lead them as they lose weight. Last night I DID NOT want to work out but my hubby encouraged me to do it even though I didn't want to. I felt much better about myself after doing it. So I suggest you just pick a day and start all over. It will be the beginning again and as you make it through each day you will be proud of yourself for accomplishing what you have. Don't give up. Make yourself do it for a day or two and it'll all come back to you. Pick out something you want to wear and hang it up in the kitchen where you'll see it every time you head in there. I hope you get your motivation back and lose those 7 pounds and many more.:wink:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    It really is a mental thing IMO to be motivated. You just have to decide it's what you want and do it. I have been struggling with my motivation so I thank God that I have my family doing this with me. They look to me to lead them as they lose weight. Last night I DID NOT want to work out but my hubby encouraged me to do it even though I didn't want to. I felt much better about myself after doing it. So I suggest you just pick a day and start all over. It will be the beginning again and as you make it through each day you will be proud of yourself for accomplishing what you have. Don't give up. Make yourself do it for a day or two and it'll all come back to you. Pick out something you want to wear and hang it up in the kitchen where you'll see it every time you head in there. I hope you get your motivation back and lose those 7 pounds and many more.:wink:

thanks so much, I have picked today to get back on it, I am going to do my exercise today. I want to do it.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You have a couple of beautiful children by the looks of your ticker. Whenever you have trouble finding motivation think of them. Imagine how different there life would be if you had more energy to play with them. Imagine how much resentment they would have if something happened to you that is preventable because you didn't lose the weight.

I get very distraught with my mother. She has been overweight my whole life, and I think that is why I had struggled for years with weight. She is trying to lose weight now, but she still goes out for ice cream, or chinese buffet. I actually get to a point where I don't want to speak to her because I feel like she doesn't care enough about me to help herself live longer.

I am not saying this is how life is for you now. But I would venture a guess on what life will hold years down the road.

The way I look at it for myself is, I made a choice to bring 4 children into this world. It is my obligation to see my responsibility through to the end. When things get hard, I try to imagine what kind of life I want to have, and what kind of mother I want my kids to have. It is powerful motivation to say the least.

This may not be the motivation you need. The other poster was correct. It totally comes from within. Figure out what you want for your future and why, then get to it. No excuses.

Unless you doctor told you no exercise. Get off the couch, you will feel much better for it!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    You have a couple of beautiful children by the looks of your ticker. Whenever you have trouble finding motivation think of them. Imagine how different there life would be if you had more energy to play with them. Imagine how much resentment they would have if something happened to you that is preventable because you didn't lose the weight.

I get very distraught with my mother. She has been overweight my whole life, and I think that is why I had struggled for years with weight. She is trying to lose weight now, but she still goes out for ice cream, or chinese buffet. I actually get to a point where I don't want to speak to her because I feel like she doesn't care enough about me to help herself live longer.

I am not saying this is how life is for you now. But I would venture a guess on what life will hold years down the road.

The way I look at it for myself is, I made a choice to bring 4 children into this world. It is my obligation to see my responsibility through to the end. When things get hard, I try to imagine what kind of life I want to have, and what kind of mother I want my kids to have. It is powerful motivation to say the least.

This may not be the motivation you need. The other poster was correct. It totally comes from within. Figure out what you want for your future and why, then get to it. No excuses.

Unless you doctor told you no exercise. Get off the couch, you will feel much better for it!

well put and thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I don't feel good from being overweight, I do not have major health issues like diabetes or high blood pressure, or cholesterol, I am however tired ALL the time so that is why I started this lifestyle change in the beginning and my kids are also a number one reason, I don't want them to grow up without a mother. I find myself making excuses for not exercising, Oh I will do it tomorrow, oh I am too tired, oh the kids are in the way, but not any longer, I have made up mind that I do not want to look and feel like this the rest of my life and I am going to have some lunch and then I am getting on my stationary bike and I will do my exercises, no excuses, I think I have been using the wreck as a crutch to be lazy but not any more. thanks so much for your very kind and very motivating words.
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That's a tough question Laura and I wish I had the answer but I don't. All I know to say is try remind yourself that is giving up is not the answer at some point you will have to begin again and it's really hard to start at the begining again. I have been up and down too many times and it's really tough when your feeling so defeated that you begin to wonder if it's even possible. you still have a great start going for you now, it doesn't matter that you hit a little block, jump over it and keep running, you'll be glad you did and so proud of yourself not only for improving your health but for tackling the even harder part of this journey, the emotional part(self control).
    I believe in you and all of us. we are worth it:flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    That's a tough question Laura and I wish I had the answer but I don't. All I know to say is try remind yourself that is giving up is not the answer at some point you will have to begin again and it's really hard to start at the begining again. I have been up and down too many times and it's really tough when your feeling so defeated that you begin to wonder if it's even possible. you still have a great start going for you now, it doesn't matter that you hit a little block, jump over it and keep running, you'll be glad you did and so proud of yourself not only for improving your health but for tackling the even harder part of this journey, the emotional part(self control).
    I believe in you and all of us. we are worth it:flowerforyou:
    [/quote

thanks so much for the very kind words, you will proud to know that so far today I have ate great and I just done riding my stationary bike for 30 minutes, I am trying to work my way back up since I have not done any exercise in a month. I am proud of myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Every time I feel my motivation slipping, I stand in front of the full length mirror, totally naked! It just comes back!

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it works for me!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    Every time I feel my motivation slipping, I stand in front of the full length mirror, totally naked! It just comes back!

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it works for me!

sounds like a great idea, I will have to try that, thanks so much
  • drtbottom
    drtbottom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey lady,

Something that motivates me is small goals. I see you have 120 as your weight goal. Bring it into a closer range like 200, 195,185, and work your way down. It works for me because it keeps your anxiety and worry at a minimum, you just set a goal, reach it, set another goal reach it. Also, B12 or B complex helps your metabolism in a natural way. The body doesn't absorb all of the vitamin, but enough to get you to the track as i always say. They sell it at walmart, really inexpensive. I hope this helps, we are always one step closer to being fine in 2009!!!!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    What works for me may not work for you but I hope you find something that helps you. Here are a few of mine:
    :heart: I don't want to waste my life being overweight and unhappy about it.
    :heart: I want to be healthy.
    :heart: Reading other people's success stories and seeing their before and after pictures.
    :heart: Being a healthy example for my children-they eat what I eat.
    :heart: I think about how much work it takes to lose the weight-do I really want to eat that?
    :heart: Mini goals. The big picture can be discouraging.
    :heart: Lifestyle change. Change the things you can live without and slowly work on the ones that you aren't willing to change at the moment.

:heart: Best wishes.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    There are alot ot days that I lack the motivation. I don't want to get out of bed and exercise. But I do it! Today was a one of those days. In fact I've had a whole bunch of those days. But I keep getting up and keep on exercising. I do it on the days I feel like it and I do it on the days I don't. Don't give yourself the choice. Just get out there and do it!:flowerforyou:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i think motivation breeds motivation

so in the words of nike - just do it!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    Hey lady,

Something that motivates me is small goals. I see you have 120 as your weight goal. Bring it into a closer range like 200, 195,185, and work your way down. It works for me because it keeps your anxiety and worry at a minimum, you just set a goal, reach it, set another goal reach it. Also, B12 or B complex helps your metabolism in a natural way. The body doesn't absorb all of the vitamin, but enough to get you to the track as i always say. They sell it at walmart, really inexpensive. I hope this helps, we are always one step closer to being fine in 2009!!!!

thanks, I like to keep my ultimate goal on my signature b/c it reminds me that when I get to my goal I will be 120 pounds, I do have mini goals on my profile and those help me so much. I iwl have to try the vitamin B12. thanks for the very kind words.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    What works for me may not work for you but I hope you find something that helps you. Here are a few of mine:
    :heart: I don't want to waste my life being overweight and unhappy about it.
    :heart: I want to be healthy.
    :heart: Reading other people's success stories and seeing their before and after pictures.
    :heart: Being a healthy example for my children-they eat what I eat.
    :heart: I think about how much work it takes to lose the weight-do I really want to eat that?
    :heart: Mini goals. The big picture can be discouraging.
    :heart: Lifestyle change. Change the things you can live without and slowly work on the ones that you aren't willing to change at the moment.

:heart: Best wishes.

thanks so much, these help alot. I was good all day, I stayed within my calories and I did my exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of myself. and I drank my water, I have been slack in that area too and I drank it all today!!!!!!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options

good one, I love Nike, thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I like that! It's sooo true.:flowerforyou:
  • RoxieFoston
    Options
    The stress of an accident is the setback. You have done too well to slip back. Start to exercise and the eating will follow. Exercise heals the frustration which is why most people overeat.
  • butterfliblu
    butterfliblu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Make progress pictures- it really inspires you to halt the bad choices you may be making now because you realize you never, ever want to go back. Mine have just slapped me in the face- I already see that old physiqe coming back from teh "before" pictures, and that is enough to snap me out of thinking about Taco Time for dinner!

I'm in the same boat- lost 40, but have slipped back into old habits and have gained 16, so at least you're stopping TODAY!

I alos agree with the motivation of thinking of your kids- besides doing it for yourself and your health, there's no better reason than to be alive and vibrant for your kids, and their kids :)

Good luck- you are not alone!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    The stress of an accident is the setback. You have done too well to slip back. Start to exercise and the eating will follow. Exercise heals the frustration which is why most people overeat.

as of today I am eating right and exercising again, Now just to take it one day at a time. :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    Make progress pictures- it really inspires you to halt the bad choices you may be making now because you realize you never, ever want to go back. Mine have just slapped me in the face- I already see that old physiqe coming back from teh "before" pictures, and that is enough to snap me out of thinking about Taco Time for dinner!

I'm in the same boat- lost 40, but have slipped back into old habits and have gained 16, so at least you're stopping TODAY!

I alos agree with the motivation of thinking of your kids- besides doing it for yourself and your health, there's no better reason than to be alive and vibrant for your kids, and their kids :)

Good luck- you are not alone!

thanks so much. I have a pic of me when I started on mfp, so I go back and look at it.