Runners: What is your mantra?

Options
OLFATUG
OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
or do you even use one? When things get particularly tough during a run I find myself repeating "Left Foot, Right Foot, Left Foot Right Foot".

There has *GOT* to be something better than that. I am so very much not original...

Replies

• MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Run Forrest Run
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    when I do run, mine is "Run Light Feel Speed" i know i know wierd
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Don't really have a mantra but when I'm forcing myself to slow down a little for the longer runs I'll be counting footfalls (1-2-3-4) as I breathe in and breathe out. Otherwise it's more like mobile meditation - I clear out the mental cobwebs.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Oh, I do that sometimes too. I count every time my left foot lands. I know exactly how far 1/4 mile is by what number I'm on! :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a mantra but yesterday I ran 6.2 miles for the first time and yelled out "Fvck Yeah!" Probably good that no one was around.

I do find myself saying "just a little bit farther" to myself as the distance starts to increase.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When it's going fine I'm happy just to do a head clear- empty my mind of all those niggling thoughts etc. when it's tough, I tell myself 'run to the next post', 'run to the bridge' etc.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I went through a period where I wanted to have a "mantra" to repeat, but nothing stuck. Instead, I have really done a lot of work working on being positive... it really does take a lot of practice for me but it works.

For example - Instead of saying to myself "I am not going to walk"... I focus on "I am running smooth and light" " I am relaxed and in the groove".

When I am really struggling I think things like how lucky I am to have to ability to do this.
    When things get tough I count my steps. I will focus counting how many times my left foot hits the ground in 30 seconds (shooting for 45). I might do this over and over until I get through whatever issues I have.

Sometimes it running is effortlesss and sometimes I need to pull out the tricks:)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I don't have one currently. I used to have a tweak on the Run Forrest, Run. It was "Run Fatty, Run."
  • smousley
    smousley Posts: 60
    Options
    I used to run cross country in high school and I had a song that would run through my head the whole time. As weird as it sounds, the song Daniel Beddingfield "Gotta Get Through This" helped me along :)
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options
    I usually change tunes on the ipod and tell myself 'Push past the pain, its going to fade soon'. I also concentrate on my breathing, taking real deep breaths.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    When it gets really hard, I usually just say to myself "Easy. Nice. Light." just referring to my own footfalls.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't have a mantra, but I get focused on my rhythm... my steps/stride and breathing get in synch with each other and I can just about run forever.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I count too. In counts of 8. It helps me with my breathing. But when I want to quit, I name all of the foods I ate that I am working off. It helps me keep going.... chocolate. wine. pizza. Move. Your. *kitten*.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I count beats as well, 1and2and3and4. I can usually do that at a pace that will keep me around an 8 minute mile, which is really good for me.
    Other times I repeat "legs are strong, feet are light". I heard a guy saying that during a marathon (as he ran past me) and I've kind of picked it up since it seemed to work for him.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I have 3

1. "Run Fat Boy Run"

2. "One more minute, I can run one more minute, it's only 60 seconds" and Repeat

3. "F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, "

No.3 was given to me by flipipino_wardog !!!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    chocolate. wine. pizza. Move. Your. *kitten*.

*like*
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    eat lightning crap thunder. :)
  • profoundbond
    Options
    Music helps me more than anything. It also helps to not concentrate on the pain, but to think of other completely unrelated stuff, like what I'm going to wear this week-end or WHY I want this.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I imagine the dancing gopher in Caddyshack, and sing the Kenny Loggins song...

"I'm alright
    Don't nobody worry 'bout me
    You got to gimme a fight
    Why don't you just let me be"
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    i may say something like "next light post" or get to "the next bench, or marker or whatever" but i like some of these...i'll try them tomorrow!

interesting question and even better answers!