Does anyone feel the same? (Lost weight but still feel fat?)

Options
Does anyone feel the same?
I am lucky enough to have been able to stick to the diet this time round and have lost almost all the weight that I originally wanted to lose.
But...I still feel fat????
Is that because I've lost it fairly quickly this time???
I know its absolutely ridiculous to feel this way. I look in the mirror and see the evidence.
I'm also so afraid that I won't be able to keep it off and overnight it will just pile on again.
Why?????
All in the head I know but difficult to get it straight in my head. :huh:

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I totally I hear ya ... :smile:

I hope those bad voices will get less and less for me. I'm pretty much at my goal, .2 lbs off, and some days I think whoa I'm hot, other days I look at myself and still see the old fat me. Sometimes in public I catch a reflection of myself in a mirror or a window and have a "holy sh-t!" moment because it's very bizarre seeing myself this size. Almost like an outer body experience. People who haven't been through any of this don't understand how weird it is to see a smaller you.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    OMG this is me!!

Iv lost 4stone! (Yay me :happy: ..... right?)

Other people can tell, im always getting told i look better, have lost weight, its "dropping" off me..... but i do not feel 1lb lighter, and i certainly don't see myself any lighter in the mirror! :sad:

I still feel the same, still have the same issues with my appearence, and still when i go into a shop pick up a size 18! (even though im a 14 now) Sometimes even when i try the smaller ones and they fit, i dont buy them 'cos they dont "feel right"

Im glad other people feel like me (well not glad, cos its bad for you lol) but i HATE it when a friend starts to diet and they reckon as soon as they've lost a pound they can see the difference... erm no you can't on a 180lb 5 foot girl!

Thanks for sharing! Thats my little rant over! haha

x
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way to. I'm actually down 40lbs from my starting weight and down almost 100 lbs from my heaviest. But when I look in the mirror, its the same fat girl. Strange really, I wear smaller clothes, things fit better, but still feel the same as I did at 227. Hopefully it improves with time, lol.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm down 33lbs but seldom "feel it". Sure I am wearing smaller sizes but when I look in the mirror it doesn't look like much has changed.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    I feel it too. Not all the time but alot if the time. I feel like a smaller version of my fat self. Like my hips have shrunk but there is still fat on them. I would rather be wider still with no chub on the side. Same with my thighs I would rather them be bigger with no celullite the smaller with lots. PlUs I have no boobs either. :( I just hope to keep goin and eventually I will see what I want in the mirror
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I felt that way when I lost all my weight before. But when I look at those pics, I can't wait to get back to my pre pregnancy weight. I looked great, but still didn't hit me yet, that I was healthy and looked slim. I still felt fat, it's one of those things we have to work through.
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much for posting this, I'm now 80lb lighter than when i started to lose weight and although i know ive lost loads of weight and gone down 7 sizes i just cant see it. I still hate the way i look and my numerous faults despite being fit & healthy and constant compliments from my partner who loves all the bits i hate and is more than happy with how i look now! He keeps telling me that the confidence will come in time and that i will feel better about myself as i get closer to my target weight because once im in my healthy weight range i wont be able to tell myself i'm fat anymore. I just hope hes right because i'd so love to look in the mirror one day and see myself the way he does )o:

It's nice knowing that it's not just me that has this problem xx
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs pre MFP and constantly saw myself in the mirror as the same fat chic. I took a year off to maintain before trying to lose the last 25 lbs and a few months into that year I caught a reflection of myself in a shop window. I had to do a double take before I realized it was me. We have these mental pictures of ourselves stored in our brains - I think that's how we manage to think we're thinner than we are when we're heavier - that take time to reset. I expect one day you'll have an "ah-ha" moment where you too do a double take in a mirror and are shocked to see the new you.
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi
    i wrote the same post on here a couple of weeks ago. my sister who lost 80lb 4 years ago went through the same phase and took her well over a year to realise she wasnt fat anymore. the confidence gradually came.
    i dont feel any differnet 77lbs down, yes it feels easier to buy clothes but i dont feel i look any different specially for the better (not that i have a bit loose skin. hopefully it will come in time

3932259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I feel it every day, I've only lost 30 pounds after 7 long months, and on most days feel like a failure that its taken me this long to lose so little, and the fact that I cant see a difference at all drives me crazy, especially if I see pictures of myself I still just cant see a difference at all. Hopefully it will get better, I think its probably just the mentality of being big and its just something we all have to overcome!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Omigosh, I definitely feel this way. People are constantly giving me these compliments and saying how different I look since the overall loss.. but there are times when I look in the mirror that I see very little change, if any at all. I know it sounds ridiculous because the loss can be seen in picture comparisons, but whenever I personally stand in the mirror sometimes it just feels and seems .. I dunno.. weird? I mean I AM still on the heavier side, but it'd been much worse in the past, ya know?

My guess is that it's just my brain that needs adjusting, seeing as I can never recall ever being this size in my entire life.... so maybe it's that.
  • LifeLongJourney
    Options
    I feel the same way, I haven't reached my goal weight yet thoughso I'm hoping when I do those thoughts will go away with the rest of the weight I have to loose.
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that's felt the same, I got down to 9 stone 10, still thought I was fat.
    Then i went and got myself pregnant, and now looking back on my previous pictures before pregnancy where i thought i was fat -
    i'm so gutted - appreciate every inch, every pound that comes off!
    x
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Same here. I find it helps to buy small clothing that fits appropriately. But, yes....crazy.
  • sunshinekind919
    sunshinekind919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For the first time ever I'm in a size 4 (after grabbing 8's and 6's, my old sizes) and literally put them on 2-3 times each before I bought them because I felt sure they would look bad or they wouldn't zip up. It makes me feel kind of crazy, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I still see big me and sometimes can't fathom fitting into something or going out in something even if everyone thinks it looks great.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This is called body dismorphia. It's common. And it can cause you to give up. DON'T!

Do something, put something one, hear someone and realize HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME and REFUSE to GO BACK!

It's much harder the second time around.
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I feel this way all the time and I am so glad to find that I am not alone... Thanks for posting
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    when I was big, I always thought I looked better than I did...until I saw pics and realized I looked like hell.

now that the weight is gone I still see myself as the bigger girl. I can see the proof in photos, clothing sizes and the scale...but it doesn't mean I see it with my eyes. hopefully, with time this will pass and I can begin seeing myself for who I truely am.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    This is so me too. I see in the mirror a skinnier me, and at work they call me skinny minnie, but parts of me still sees the same ol fat girl there was 7 months ago. It is crazy how the brain takes forever to catch up with the physical changes.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I was 292 lbs at my heaviest, and I lost down to 175. I looked amazing, but I still felt so fat. I think that once you've seen yourself as one way for so long it's very hard to change your perception of yourself. I swore to myself that I would never be that overweight again, and then I got pregnant and gained 60 lbs. I'm trying to lose it again, and I will, but I will always see myself as a fat girl.