Tell me how to learn how to love sardines

Options
124»

Replies

• NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    Buy the ones packed in oil. yes, oil. You drain it off, so it doesn't add many calories (maybe like 10?).... but they're 100x better than the ones packed in water. I used to eat the water ones, and then I tried the oil ones, and damn, I'm never going back.

If you don't like fish, you probably won't like sardines... there's not much you can do about that. Give them a try... try different brands and ones packed in different things.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Give them to a food bank and eat what you enjoy.

Sardines should be left in the ocean, with all other seafood.
  • oildemon
    oildemon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Boneless and skinless. I can eat those all day long, but the normal kind make me sick.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    sad to say but its one of those foods that you either love or dont...=/ I dont
  • a5sk1ck
    a5sk1ck Posts: 21
    Options
    Every health buff's magic food for two reasons: Calcium and Omega-3. Power in a small can.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Drop them in the food pantry bin and eat something you like. Life is too short to take the joy out of one of the few true pleasures in life.

I, however, love them and add them to my Mediterranean salad.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
  • a5sk1ck
    a5sk1ck Posts: 21
    Options
    Got 3 jars today all in Corn oil: herring, milkfish, and sardines. Yummy even when cold. 80-90 cal / serving.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Love them - and can eat them straight out of the can.....
    They are also good mixed with some chopped onions, chopped tomatos, splash of tabasco on bread or crackers

My personal favorite I make fishcakes ...... 2 cans sardines, I grate some onion (or chop very finely) add one egg and some breadcrumbs and form them into patties - which I then fry in a little bit of coconut oil - sprinkle with lemon juice - yum yum.... if you like spicy you can add a bit of chilli flakes to the mixture as well...

Ok, yum. I'm so trying your recipe! ^

I personally love them. The ones in tomato are yummy on toast, but I also get the ones in spring water or olive oil and make my own yummy sardines with fresh tomato, a little onion, rosemary and even some grated carrot and/or zucchini if I feel like it. Lots of pepper on top. Delicious.

I also do a chilli sardine pasta - fresh chilli or flakes if you prefer, garlic, a can or two of sardines depending on how much you love them, how many people you're feeding, quartered cherry tomatoes, handful of basil leaves, salt, pepper, stirred through some pasta and olive oil. Oh yummy.

If you don't like them, don't force yourself. You will find other foods to give you great health benefits. I personally have never been able to stomach oats. Which I did find a tad upsetting and I do go back for another go every couple of years in case I have changed my mind. But, unlike a lot of other food I now like, I think porridge is never going to become a part of my diet. And that's ok.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Boneless and skinless. I can eat those all day long, but the normal kind make me sick.

Off topic I know, but Oildemon - is that a Brittany in your avatar? Your dogs are beautiful.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    go for herring in paprika sauce...OMG...who knew! My mom always ate them and I finally tried them. I can actually eat them without anything but the sauce. So far I think they taste better than sardines but I haven't tried many varieties of sardines either. I'm sticking with Herring unless I find sardines in paprika sauce and like it better.