Working mom needs kid friendly crock pot recipe's!!

Options

Replies

• Lissa_1234
    Options
    I haven't read the rest of this, but go to Skinnytaste.com I love thsi recipe blog. there's a whole section for crock pot cooking.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Potatoe soup

2 packages of cubed hashbrowns
    3 cans of chix broth
    2 packages of country gravy mix (one if you dont want it spicy)

put all in a crockpot and set it on low while your gone to work. stir when you get home. Add more broth is you want it thinner. I put reduced fat cheddar cheese on it.

This can be made 100% fat free if you can find the ingrediants.
  • cariclaire
    cariclaire Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    these sound great! can't wait to try some - thanks! :)
  • jenguhl
    jenguhl Posts: 79
    Options
    Crock Pot Swiss Steak (low cal)

1 round steak cut into pieces ( I use 1lb for my family of 3 & I have leftovers)
    3-4 potatoes, quartered
    carrots (I use baby carrots)
    1 can diced tomatoes with garlic and basil
    1 jar of Heinz beef gravy
    salt & pepper to taste
    onion (if you like it, my kid doesn't)

Toss everything in the crockpot on low for 7-8 hrs
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    bump
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I throw frozen chicken tenderloins in the crockpot along with reduced sodium chicken broth (the chicken doesn't have to be completely covered, but at least part way) and spices of choice (I like black pepper and garlic powder or any of the Mrs. Dash varieties). Cook on low for 8 hours, then use the chicken as you wish. If falls apart easily so it can be shredded with 2 forks--use fo shredded chicken sandwiches, salads, chicken salad, tacos, with pasta or rice, even on top of a tortilla for an easy homemade pizza. The possibilities are really endless!
  • neffle75
    neffle75 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump!!
  • kwortham
    kwortham Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kkbeard
    kkbeard Posts: 20
    Options
    This is awesome! Can't wait to try some of these recipes. Thanks for posting this. I'm a SAHM but still love the crockpot as my little ones are always crabby and the older ones needs help with homework right at the time I would make dinner. Doesn't always work well!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have been home with my daughter for the last 2 1/2 years and found that financialy it was time to head back to work. I was so used to thinking about what to make for dinner at about 10 in the morning that I am having a hard time adjusting to planning ahead!! I wan't to make sure my daughter, husband and I are eating right too!! ( it's just too easy to eat out when I am not prepared for the upcoming dinner)

Does anyone have some EASY (I don't want to go out and buy like 15 spices) and BASIC crock pot and casserole meals (ohh and healthy too)? I think my best bet will be to prepare for the week evey Sunday and stick some ready to cook meals in the freezer...

Any recipes or advice would be much appriciated!

I get recipes from marthastewart.com. There are lots of recipes for slow cookers, quick recipes, light recipes, etc. I look through the site a couple of days before I go grocery shopping. Some things I've made recently that my kids (3 1/2 and 2) love: zucchini and yellow squash gratin with oven-fried chicken, roasted vegetables with couscous, farfalle with smoked salmon, beef stroganoff, chicken curry, chicken and dumplings, Italian potpies, and chicken gumbo.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Is a crockpot the same as a slow cooker? Asking from the UK here.

And if I have neither, what temperature would you put the oven on at to achieve the same? I cook lots of stews n' stuff in the oven rather than on the hob but never more than 4-6 hours, so I dunno if my oven would go low enough to replicate these recipes.

Generally 350F is equivalent to a slow cooker/crock pot. (At least according to Martha Stewart.)
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BUMP BUMp BUMP!!!

Thank you
  • applejacks1552
    Options
    Bump! Want to read more of this later! Good suggestions. Must go put 2 year old down for nap!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i love my crock pot. i love to make soup when its cold.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Chili,

Brown and drain 1 lb of ground sirloin or chicken
    Add a can of low salt tomatoes diced or crushed
    Add veggies (green pepper, onion, garlic) or whatever
    Add rinsed and drained beans if desired
    Add a pack of chili spice (watch the sodium) or make your own (chili powder, paprika, cilantro, cumin, black pepper)
    salt to taste
    I use some hot peppers and Frank's red hot in mine but that may not be kid friendly.
    water to cover
    stir

20 min to prep
    cook on low all day (I even make it the night before)

serve with a salad, diced onion, cheese if desired and fruit for dessert.
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump! I don't work and I love crock pot cooking ... always looking for ideas!
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    Great recipe posts, going to be trying some of these out this weekend.

My favorite recipe is for Pulled Pork. This is how I like it...

- Pork Tenderloin (nice and lean) as much as will feed your family (and you WILL want leftovers)
    - 1-2 apples peeled, more pork equals more apples, type of apples doesn't matter just whatever you have on hand
    - 1/2 - 1 cup of white wine or apple juice works nice too, depending one how much pork you're using
    - crushed garlic, salt , pepper to taste
    - 3 - 4 tablespoons of you favorite BBQ sauce (in our house we like Ragin' Cajun from Bullseye)

Put the pork in the bottom, chop the apples and them on top, add the BBQ sauce,wine/juice, and seasonings. Turn the pot on and let it cook for about 4-5 hours. Once it's ready take 2 forks and shread the pork and mash the apples (while it's still in the pot), then continue to cook for another hour. After you did the shreading you might want to add a little more BBQ and wine/juice if you like it a little more saucy.

I like to serve it on toasted multigrain buns or even on mashed potatoes.

It's really d'lish!