Fitbit or HRM?

Options
I've been looking into the Fitbit and the Polar FT7.

My excercises include: kicboxing, yoga, runs and circuit training.

I don't like how you have to wear a HRM on your wrist to get a reading but would prefer something that's more suitable for me.. Overall, what would be my best option? I may consider getting both, but in the meantime, would like to know if MFP has any suggestions, any other devices to consider?

Replies

• angelapolite
    Options
    I just asked the same question, hopefully someone will help us! :wink:
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM and I really love it. I have never tried Fitbit before. I would probably love to have both also. But, my first purchase was an HRM
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    first of all, i am not an expert in either. i will say (and let me know if i'm wrong anyone) that the fitbit is more for tracking walking and steps throughout the day, whereas a HRM works better for more vigorous exercise (such as what you mostly do). also, there are HRMs that have a chest strap, which is a more accurate way of measuring.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I use both. They measure two different things. I use the FitBit to understand my overall activity and I use my heart rate monitor to help me customize my workouts for maximum benefit.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My HRM has a chest strap, so it is constantly registering my heart rate. I think the ones that are just on your wrist, you have to touch it every so often so it registers your heart rate (I think)
  • ByeByeBigButt
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 - BEST purchase I have ever made. Seriously.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I use both for different things.

Overall the fit bit is more motivational to me because I go for steps during the day and this spurs me to walk more.

When I do a cardio session on a machine at the gym I wear a heart rate monitor, more for safety. (I'm big) I don't need the wrist band because the machine picks up the signal from the chest strap.

This lets me keep my form because I don't need to hold onto the handles.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    first of all, i am not an expert in either. i will say (and let me know if i'm wrong anyone) that the fitbit is more for tracking walking and steps throughout the day, whereas a HRM works better for more vigorous exercise (such as what you mostly do). also, there are HRMs that have a chest strap, which is a more accurate way of measuring.

^^ This. I don't own either yet. But I did research and I chose the HRM. Specifically Polar FT4. Fitbit is a glorified Pedometer you can plug into your computer. And if you cared enough to calculate your caloric intake based on BMR and TDEE then the fitbit has to fit into your calculations. HRM can only be used during exercise.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I love my fitbit. It tracks steps, calories burned, miles, floors climbed & even your sleep. You can link it to MFP & it adds calories burned to your daily log.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I use both. They measure two different things. I use the FitBit to understand my overall activity and I use my heart rate monitor to help me customize my workouts for maximum benefit.

I agree. I love my fitbit and use it every day, even during workouts. I use it as daily motivation to walk a little further or climb a few more stairs, or see days where I fall short and why. I use the HRM to see how good my workouts are, how long I worked out for, and track improvement.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    don't have or have never used fitbit, but just bought the polar ft7 and love it. My old HRM didn't show calories burned so I bought the polar ft7. It is awesome and does everything, and it is very easy to use and set up. I am purchasing another one for my wife to use if you decide to get one after doing your research check bodytronics website, cheapest I could find and free shipping. I think it was like 71 for the black and red and some places are charging more for that color combo. They are really expensive on ebay, I don't know what thats all about
  • Funshinerika
    Options
    I was going between the two also. I ended up getting the Polar FT7. From what I understood, the Fitbit only counted walking and stairs for exercise. I do zumba, weight ligfting, walking/hiking and whatever other activity I can fit into my busy life! :) Oh, and the FT7 can be used in the pool, which I will be using a lot this summer. I have had it for about a month now and really like it. It works great and wearing the strap and the watch don't bother me at all. Just my thoughts. Hope this helps!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have both (fitbit and Ft7). I use my HRM for cardio, and my fitbit for all day activity.

The fitbit won't measure exercise, unless it's walking. The HRM is much more accurate for exercise.
  • jaclyndanette
    Options
    Does the Polar FT4 come with a chest strap or is it just for the wrist?
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options

I have a FitBit as well and I also use it to log my overall activity, sleep, stairs, climbed etc, ... I would love to have an HRM-- I would use them BOTH :)
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    HRM for sure as it does track your heart rate during exercise. Fitbit tracks your daily movement. I have the HRM wiht a chest strap because it is supposed to be more accurate but my chest is big so it seems that it sits low, I still get a good reading with it. It's comfortable enough that I forget I have it on and end up tracking my heart rate all night.

My fitbit is coming today and I can;t wait to play with it.
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options

^This^, I have both and use the as above......love both of them
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    I have the Fitbit. I wanted a Nike Fuel band but got sick of trying ( unsuccessfully) to purchase one. I like it but I want to do more biking this summer and it won't be as useful then.
  • MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit..love it.!!! I would however consider a HRM too in the future. The reason why I love my fitbit is that it sets goals for you everyday. The number of steps I take, the calories burned, miles I've walked, stairs I have climbed, and overall activity. Everyday I push myself to meet those goals and beyond, whereas before I was very sedentary. So for that I love my Fitbit,... it keeps me moving!! I would not mid having both. I guess you just need to figure out what you need from either one and start there.
  • I think I'm leaning towards a HRM now. It's just not suitable for sports (not that this is a huge deal). My understanding is that you have to wear both the chest piece and watch, as the chest piece alone won't record data.