Fitbit or HRM?

Options
2»

Replies

• knitchals
    Options
    I have a polar F11 and I love it. I am a marathon runner and fitness instructor and I would definitely recommend a HRM. It is a great way to get feedback during workouts. That being said, it will not accurately gage everyday activities as it sounds like the Fitbit does. And I totally am not bothered by the chest strap. I use the wrist piece as my watch. Not a big deal at all!
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just bought my Polar Ft7 a couple of months ago, and I love it. The chest-strap is what records the heartbeat and sends the signal to the wrist watch. I love the watch part, because of the many display options. I find it to be very accurate. The chest strap fits right under the under wire of my bra, and even though I don't wear a watch normally, the wrist watch part doesn't bother me at all provided I don't strap it too tightly.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    I have a Polar that I don't use the wristband because the battery died, but I still wear the strap when I do my elliptical because the machine picks up on it. I looked at the Fitbit because it syncs to MFP, but after reading the reviews of it breaking in a couple of months and some sync issues, I opted to not get it. I also don't believe it can really track my sleep patterns. I'm currently looking at the bodybugg because they have a model that will sync with my android phone so no need for the wristband. It also syncs to the iPhone/iPod Touch. For those that currently have the Fitbit, how sturdy do you think the device is?
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    don't have or have never used fitbit, but just bought the polar ft7 and love it. My old HRM didn't show calories burned so I bought the polar ft7. It is awesome and does everything, and it is very easy to use and set up. I am purchasing another one for my wife to use if you decide to get one after doing your research check bodytronics website, cheapest I could find and free shipping. I think it was like 71 for the black and red and some places are charging more for that color combo. They are really expensive on ebay, I don't know what thats all about

Dink... Bump..... Thank you for that research on the pricing. :smile: I've been wearing a fitbit for a while now. I like it.. But I could always check the Polar FT7 out too.
  • MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit. I wanted a Nike Fuel band but got sick of trying ( unsuccessfully) to purchase one. I like it but I want to do more biking this summer and it won't be as useful then.

Omg I wanted the Fuel Band too!! I ended up getting my Fitbit out of frustration!! I really wanted the Fuel Band more than the Fitbit but as soon as the rest of the world can realistically buy one than the Fitbit will do. It is my understanding that the Fuel Band is the best there is!! Not that I don't love my Fitbit but if there is something better it must be awesome! Someday... :)
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit and it's awesome but I also plan on getting a HRM when I start doing strength training. They're two different tools. The FitBit will help you be more active on a daily basis and the HRM will help you accurately gauge workouts.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT60 and its amazing. It is great for any workout including swimming and has a replaceable battery. Important as many don't or cost a fortune! Im a little ill at the moment, but once I'm better I'd love a fitbit too. I'd use both together. FT60 is a great place to start though x
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have this HRM http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003J2V8AC/ the Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS-Enabled Sport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor. LOVE IT!!!!

My hubs as a fitbit. He likes the overall day activity it tracks but he is unable to actually track acurately when he strength trains and does Insanity. So he wants to start using the same HRM as mine (but the black one).
    But since he wouldn't want to wear the chest strap and watch ALL day long, he likes that the fitbit can cover his normal every day activity. It definitely helps him realize when he's moved less compared to days he moves more!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar that I don't use the wristband because the battery died, but I still wear the strap when I do my elliptical because the machine picks up on it. I looked at the Fitbit because it syncs to MFP, but after reading the reviews of it breaking in a couple of months and some sync issues, I opted to not get it. I also don't believe it can really track my sleep patterns. I'm currently looking at the bodybugg because they have a model that will sync with my android phone so no need for the wristband. It also syncs to the iPhone/iPod Touch. For those that currently have the Fitbit, how sturdy do you think the device is?

I think its sturdy. Its been working pretty good. I have to input the time I go to sleep and wake up. Then it tells us how many times you wake up, and how many hours you actually slept. I wanna check out the bodybugg thing too. Some of my friends are wearing those. I think those work pretty good too. I like the idea of it syncing to my droid.. So matter if I'm not by my computer, I could stay current on my In/Out readings throughout the day. I don't always carry a computer with me. But I carry my phone with me. :)
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing this morning :) I think I'm leaning towards the hrm.
  • shoby68
    shoby68 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have a garmin gps watch with a hrm strap which is great for running, keeps track of calories burned and distance traveled. Wouldn't be much use for indoor activities which sounds more like what you are looking into so the fitbit might be better.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think I'm leaning towards a HRM now. It's just not suitable for sports (not that this is a huge deal). My understanding is that you have to wear both the chest piece and watch, as the chest piece alone won't record data.

If it has a chest strap, it will also have a watch that is transports the data to. I bought a cheap one off of Amazon because I just was not sure if I would like one. I love it. So, once this one breaks, I will probably buy a nicer one like a Polar. But for now, my cheap HRM (chest strap and watch) are great!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Both! They each measure different things, so they really work best together. I really enjoy my fitbit. It's gotten me to be more active. I'm trying to walk up stairs the 10 times it recommends. I'm striving for my 10,000 steps a day. It's great for adjusting my calories for a particularly active (non-exercise) day. Where the HRM is fantastic for helping me maximize my workouts. It helps me stay in the zone I want for cardio, it measures my calorie burn based on my heart rate, and it stores the information for me. It even gives me weekly totals if I want! Truly, both together have really helped me increase my fitness level!
  • I think I'm leaning towards a HRM now. It's just not suitable for sports (not that this is a huge deal). My understanding is that you have to wear both the chest piece and watch, as the chest piece alone won't record data.

If it has a chest strap, it will also have a watch that is transports the data to. I bought a cheap one off of Amazon because I just was not sure if I would like one. I love it. So, once this one breaks, I will probably buy a nicer one like a Polar. But for now, my cheap HRM (chest strap and watch) are great!

It only transports so far though doesn't it? I'm leaning towards a HRM but this wouldn't be suitable for kickboxing. I think everything else I could manage with.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I have the FitBit Ultra - and I have to admit that I absolutely LOVE it! Yes, it is mainly geared towards steps taken and stairs climbed, but if I set the stopwatch for the start of a workout, it monitors my caloric burn during that time and gives me a breakdown in 5 minute intervals, so I can see how hard I worked. The graphs and charts it gives you really helps you see how much of the day you've spent sedentary, light, moderate and high activity.

It syncs with MFP, and I like that it tells me how many calories I burned during the day (BMR + Activity calories).

I DESPERATELY want a Polar FT7, but I have to wait until I complete my next goal - getting my ACE Group Fitness Instructor Certification!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think I'm leaning towards a HRM now. It's just not suitable for sports (not that this is a huge deal). My understanding is that you have to wear both the chest piece and watch, as the chest piece alone won't record data.

It only transports so far though doesn't it? I'm leaning towards a HRM but this wouldn't be suitable for kickboxing. I think everything else I could manage with.

I have a Polar HRM that is a chest strap and watch unit and I love it. The chest strap is what collects the data and it transmits it to the watch so that you can see what your heart rate is at, how many calories you've burned, etc. But I don't think that you *have* to wear the watch on your wrist - it should just be close enough to recieve the transmission. So if you could fasten it to your clothes (maybe around the strap to a tank top?) it might not get in the way so much yet you'd still get the data for later.
  • I think I'm leaning towards a HRM now. It's just not suitable for sports (not that this is a huge deal). My understanding is that you have to wear both the chest piece and watch, as the chest piece alone won't record data.

I have a Polar HRM that is a chest strap and watch unit and I love it. The chest strap is what collects the data and it transmits it to the watch so that you can see what your heart rate is at, how many calories you've burned, etc. But I don't think that you *have* to wear the watch on your wrist - it should just be close enough to recieve the transmission. So if you could fasten it to your clothes (maybe around the strap to a tank top?) it might not get in the way so much yet you'd still get the data for later.

I didn't even think of that! It is a bit larger than the fitbit but that could probably work.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

I've had mine almost 2 years, bought it used off ebay. I've dropped it at least 25 times, and washed it twice (dried once). It's slightly worn on the "hinge" part but still going strong. My sisters on her 2nd one after 1 1/2 years, but she does 2 hours of cardio a day (fitness instructor) and she washed hers on the steam cycle :laugh:

Both my Mom and I use it for sleep patterns, and it tells you how many times you woke up and when.

A bodybugg is about as accurate, but isn't small, and it has a monthly fee to get your data off it.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

same here! i bought a midlevel (~$50) HRM from walmart. liking it so far. if it breaks i'll prob go for a polar ft4 or something :)