Options

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have a couple:
    Your mind will give up a hundred times before your body will
    Pain is temporary, pride is forever

Not really a mantra, but a good friend of mine is a quadriplegic. I think of her when I run. I think "She couldn't run even if she wanted to, so why am I not going harder, faster, stronger when I CAN?" Hell-she's never even been able to hug her daughter:-(
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My mantra is, " 30 more minutes, you can do this Jacob!" Sometimes, I know this is probably weird, I look towards the future. Like with me picking up running, ( or in my case jogging :grumble: ) I look at how fast this will help me accomplish my goals.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I say to myself...."Don't let your brain give up before your body does".

This is AWESOME!!! My willpower wears out before my body does almost every time.
  • wiebec
    wiebec Posts: 2
    Options
    I try to tell myself Go until you can't, not until you think you can't. Otherwise just think of each mile etc. as something you want, in my case a Beer! I've finished several summer runs @ the fridge getting a beer because I ran an extra mile for it.
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    " Don't die. Don't die. Don't die. "
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    "Hard work, dedication!"

Only need it for the first two miles, though. That's my typical slump time--after that I can go forever (or at least another seven miles) without much of an issue.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Just starting out (w8d1 completed so far of c25k)...i just think to myself, especially in the beginning when i start my run, you can do this (I think I can, I think I can). little engine that could all the way ;)
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I just pretend that the Zombies are catching up.

^This times a million! Lol. I'm training for the zombie apocalypse...I mean...PRETENDING to train for the zombie apocalypse...
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    "When it hurts is when it counts"
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have 3

1. "Run Fat Boy Run"

2. "One more minute, I can run one more minute, it's only 60 seconds" and Repeat

3. "F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, F*@K, "

No.3 was given to me by flipipino_wardog !!!!!

I also talk myself into "one more minute" :)
  • Redbug78
    Redbug78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started running about 2 months ago.

I have 2: Bikini and This isn't going to kill you!
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    I keep saying to myself, only have to struggle once every 6 months... Keep on going. Also, I count the laps... and when I am near the end, I just start saying C'Mon!!! Just a little further!!!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I just started running about 2 months ago.

I have 2: Bikini and This isn't going to kill you!

I just started running 11 weeks ago!! I am new too. I just finished my first 5km race... :)
    Good luck!
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Love all of these!

My 1st 10 - 15 mins are the hardest and then I feel awesome and like I'm flying! That is usually followed by "oh christ I'm going to die"...repeat for about 50 mins!

If I'm lucky I don't think of anything - my mind goes clear and I guess this is what meditation is like? But otherwise towards the end its "just get me home, just to home and then you can stop" or on a really good day "you couldn't run 30 seconds back in July...don't quit now"!
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Others have put this, but when I am struggling I make deals with myself. I do a lot of, "just go until the end of this song" or "just run until the road curves ahead." Usually I can talk myself into going farther. The "beat" I often repeat to myself is "calorie down. calorie down."
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    These make me smile, good to know there are so many others like me :) I definately talk to myself, someone else mentioned Dorie from Finding Nemo, but I will actually say "just keep swimming, just keep swimming...." yes, I am running, but that part also makes me smile :happy:
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can just very clearly in my head hear my voice saying "Keep going, Keep going, Keep going."

But I also listen to music -- without it, I wouldn't be able to run at all!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I normally dont have one, but as things got tough during my half marathon, and especially when i realized it felt better to jog and hurt worse to slow to a walk my thought to myself was "don't stop... just keep moving... dont stop"... no matter how slow, just keep moving and dont stop.
  • mom2jac
    mom2jac Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I count too. In counts of 8. It helps me with my breathing. But when I want to quit, I name all of the foods I ate that I am working off. It helps me keep going.... chocolate. wine. pizza. Move. Your. *kitten*.

This is my favorite. :) Thanks for making me smile today!
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Music is my main motivator -- where my main strategy is listening to music from my childhood (e.g. 70's rock mainly). It provides me with so many great memories and takes my mind off of the job at hand. .