Runners: What is the hardest part of your run?

Options
vtate75
vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
I am working to add mileage right now, and I am curious about what most of you think the hardest part of a run is. For me, it doesn't matter if I run 3 miles or 10 (haven't done more than 10), the hardest parts are still the same. If I'm on a treadmill, the hardest part is the first 5 minutes. I literally ALWAYS have to talk myself into staying on. If I am running outside (much prefered), the hardest part is the last 1/4 mile. It is a long and slow hill up my street, and I always struggle through it. I don't think it would even matter if it was a flat road; the end is the hardest.

Replies

• scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    For me the first mile is hardest and then the last half a mile when I am almost home. On the treadmill, I find it still the first mile and then it's any time after 48 minutes. I just want to quit.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Probably when I'm getting near the halfway point so I know I gotta repeat what I did all over again and then some. And also on a long run, when I have about 4-5 miles left it can be tough mentally.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The first mile or two until I can settle into a comfortable pace.
  • rmb8
    rmb8 Posts: 15
    Options
    the whole thing, really. but i'd say the hardest part is motivating to actually do it, followed by the first 5 minutes, followed by the last 5 minutes.
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    getting to that mile 4 release!
  • OngaFish
    OngaFish Posts: 5
    Options
    For me the hardest part is starting. Once I start it just gets easier from there.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The days when I have to run on a treadmill due to very inclement weather. Treadmills are so boring. It has to be some serious Wrath of God type weather to get me on one. My preference is a trail run thru the woods but I do road runs.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    After the start, the hardest part is usually after about 10 miles. It's after that that I start to fade (and sometimes it's a quick fade).
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The first 1-2 miles, after that I always feel like I could run 100.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    I am a big runner and for me no matter what I run 5, 10 or 13 the last mile is always the hardest for me, it seems like the finish line is always further in that last mile then in the rest. Its all mind over matter, but I I always push thru it.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I agree with the beginning.. especially on the treadmill... when you're breathing heavy and trying to get your heart rate up and before you get in your rhythm... and also especially on a treadmill the last 5 minutes or so, last half mile quarter mile, whatever when your almost done, but that 2.91 seems to stay up there for 10 minutes when you're trying to hit 3... LOL
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I only run 2-4 miles at a time, but the hardest part is the end of mile 1 and beginning of mile 2. I find if I can make it to 2 miles, it's usually not hard to squeeze out a third. It's amazing how much mental energy running takes, especially on a treadmill.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    First 5 minutes. Every time. I HATE it - think why on earth am I doing this to myself? Then the feeling of lead weights on my feet goes away, I settle into my pace, and it's easy breezy. My trainer told me some scientific reason why that is... something about burning off one type of energy and tapping into another. Don't remember the specifics and too lazy to Google it... :)

Edit - the last 5 minutes are always my best. I know it's almost over and I don't worry about pacing myself anymore. It's easy to push through. I do a lot of negative splits, though - not sure it's because I love the last 5 min, or if doing the negative splits helps with the love.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    the last 15 secs I keep psyching myself out ugggh
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wow, it seems the beginning is the worst for most people. I feel a little better now! But how do you make it through that? By a minute of running my chest hurts. Not sure if that's normal for someone just starting out?
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    First 1-2 miles are always rough for me (which explains why I've become an endurance runner--after two miles it's a piece of cake). Every time I have to talk myself into continuing to run. It takes me about that long to settle into a groove and hit The Zone. Once I'm there, though...magic!
  • franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    Options
    getting started is the hardest for me but then it gets easier.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm running 2 miles at a time. The hardest for me is always from the point where I hit 1 mile until about 1.5 miles. My calves burn and I have to talk myself into not stopping. Usually after about 1.5 miles though I feel better than when I started.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually the last part of the run, about the last 1/2 mile. The finish line just seems to be taunting me!