How did 30 Day Shred work for you?

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the whole 2 days 30ds, 1 day cardio, 2 day 30DS, 1 day cardio, 1 day rest idea and quite frankly I think this is a better approach! I'm going to adjust my current plan to accommodate this.

I always thought the whole 30 days straight through thing was a bit much but I was willing to try it... Haha. But now that I'm in level 2 I'm thinking a rest day is SOOO needed.
  • jessielynn25
    Options
    I just started the 30 day shred..yesterday was my first day and im hurtin today ...i had to stop a couple times last night just to get through it! it was way harder then i thought it was going to be :noway: ...But im happy i read this 2 days 30ds then 1 day cardio thats what im going to follow! thanks for posting! :smile:
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The first three days are killer. I'm on day 21, starting level 3 today. I have been doing 10days each level with no breaks and with doing other cardio 2-3 times a week. I have only lost .6lbs from it so far but have lost about 5inches so far. Its a good work out but it is hard on the knees

Those are the exact results I had my first round of 30DS. I also went on vacation my last 10 days and didn't get to work out as often as I liked. I really enjoyed this program!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So many have posted so far considering this message is now on the 6th or so page. Anyway, I've done it 2 times around. Just finished my 2nd round today (day 30). I did the shred every day (some times I'd miss a day in between). I noticed the biggest difference when I was doing it every day combined with my normal cardio routine. There was a big difference between the first time I started it and the second time.

I do 10 days on level 1, 10 days level 2 and 10 days on level 3. I'm thinking about going and doing yet ANOTHER round of it because I noticed it forces me to work out muscles I would otherwise not use. The most difference I've seen has been in my arms and legs. I like that I'm able to see definition in my arms now. I just bought Jillian's Ab workout video several days ago so I might combine both videos. One day her ab video and the next 30 day shred.

Anyway, like others said, I've lost inches more than I've lost pounds. I like seeing a difference in clothes and visible size more than seeing a number on the scale (though I do enjoy it as well).

Good luck! You might be sore the first time around but it's definitely worth it!
  • becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 day shred..yesterday was my first day and im hurtin today ...i had to stop a couple times last night just to get through it! it was way harder then i thought it was going to be :noway: ...But im happy i read this 2 days 30ds then 1 day cardio thats what im going to follow! thanks for posting! :smile:

I stared last week. Day 1 was awful! I never work out, and it showed. I huffed and puffed, took breaks and wanted to turn off the video, but I made it through. The next day I was so sore it hurt to get up from my chair. I took that day off so I could recover a little before pushing on. I was kind of dreading working out that second time, but after I got into it, I wasn't so sore anymore.

Keep at it. It'll get better.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Yeah you do get better the more you do. The first time I did level one - probably a month ago - was fairly horrific. Had to stop every now and again to catch my breath, my arms felt like they were falling off, shook like a leaf during the pressups (such as I could do them). The cat fled when it saw me after the session was over, I was so red and sweaty. And I was only using two tins of tomatoes as weights.

I eventually tried level 2. That was better in some ways, worse in others. I still couldn't do it without flaking out frequently.

After some time on level 2 I needed my tins of tomatoes for a lasagne, so had to buy proper weights. And that was really really bad, so I thought I should go back to level 1 with the weights and master that before returning to level 2.

And guess what, today for the first time I managed to do all of level 1 with 2kg weights without stopping! Yee-har. Even did proper press ups.

Tomorrow I shall try level 2 with the weights and will almost certainly need lots of breaks. But I now know it's possible to work my way up to being able to complete the level fully.

Believe me... if I can do it, so can you!
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Oh and also I was interested to hear about JM's podcast - that is very useful indeed.
  • sian_1989
    sian_1989 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear body shape and I'm noticing it doing wonders for my thighs and butt area. My arms are getting a great toning too but nothing for my abs yet.

I wish I was noticing something happening to my thighs and bum, they're my real problem areas and 30DS doesn't seem to be helping yet. I guess it's fairly early days, just done day 8 of L1, but I was hoping to see some improvement by now. It's a little disheartening!
  • JeBitchy23
    Options
    sian..i know the feeling. i felt like since i wasnt losing weight it wasnt doing anything for me...my trouble areas are my belly(babyweight) and hips and thighs. i measured last night and was down another inch on my thighs....that makes 2 inches off both legs. i would the inches to leave my body a little higher in my mid section but ill take what i can get. lol. hang in there. you can do it!!!!
  • erinliz
    erinliz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm not all the way through yet, but in 1 month I'm down 3 lbs and 11.5 inches (combined chest, waist, hips, bicep, thigh and calf). I don't do it every day, maybe 3-4 x per week. On other days I might run or do some weights. I have one rest day a week. :)
    All I know is I am so glad I measured!!!
  • JeBitchy23
    Options
    is the level 2 exercise entry different than the level 1 entry on here? its harder correct? so would the entry show more calories burned?
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I <3 her stuff but it will kick your butt!!!
  • christypaxson
    Options
    I started it 4 days ago, and I had to take a break yesterday because like everyone is saying ...STRETCH STRETCH...

I did get some pointers that I didn't listen to at first but now I will..I learned the hard way and had a hard time sitting down my thighs hurt so bad...

Before you start the DVD because she only does 2 mins of warm up try and go for a ten minute walk and warm your body up. and after your done if you can do a few yoga stretches. Other suggestion would be to pay attention to your movements. I didn't realize how wrong I was doing exercises as far as not straightening my back, knees going past the toes, squatting forward and not back, I could go on...if anything use it as a learning tool until you get better at it.

I felt like I was going to die the first day and even laid on the ground and said forget I'll stay fat...but I pushed through. I plan on staying on Level 1 until I can actually get the workouts down and can finish each set. Then I will move onto the harder levels. If it takes a few extra days so be it.
  • tracimichelle213
    tracimichelle213 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I heard a JM podcast awhile ago where she said the marketing folks came up with the title... she actually doesn't advocate doing the same thing every day for 30 days. Her suggestion = 2 days of 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days of 30DS, 1 day cardio, 1 day rest... repeat. It will take longer to complete this way, but it gives your body time to repair itself and it helps with muscle confusion so you don't adapt too quickly to doing the same thing all the time. Others have suggested alternating 30DS with another of her DVDs (yoga or ripped in 30 or something), but you still need to give yourself a rest day once a week. I'm working through level 1 right now, and it is getting easier, especially because I'm adding in 1-2 days of cardio per week so I feel like I can go longer and stronger. Nervous about doing L2 though, everyone says it's so much harder!

Thank you! I am going to try this and hopefully I will be able to stick with it this time!
  • treed4
    treed4 Posts: 66
    Options
    So I've been on vacation the past two weeks, and sad to say I haven't logged in or anything during that timeframe. Positive note is that I didn't gain any weight :smile: I purchased the 30 day shred right before I left, and will be starting day 1 of 30 today. So looking forward to it! Will let you know how I do.
  • texasyarngirl
    Options
    The first three days are killer. I'm on day 21, starting level 3 today. I have been doing 10days each level with no breaks and with doing other cardio 2-3 times a week. I have only lost .6lbs from it so far but have lost about 5inches so far. Its a good work out but it is hard on the knees

Question - I restarted 30DS last night. Did you take any days off? And, if you don't (which I think is what you are saying) - did you find that you are so sore that you get less out of a workout as you progress? I'm SORE today. I want to do W1 again tonight - but am wondering if my form will be bad or if I'll be able to move at all tomorrow :-)
  • texasyarngirl
    Options
    I heard a JM podcast awhile ago where she said the marketing folks came up with the title... she actually doesn't advocate doing the same thing every day for 30 days. Her suggestion = 2 days of 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days of 30DS, 1 day cardio, 1 day rest... repeat. It will take longer to complete this way, but it gives your body time to repair itself and it helps with muscle confusion so you don't adapt too quickly to doing the same thing all the time. Others have suggested alternating 30DS with another of her DVDs (yoga or ripped in 30 or something), but you still need to give yourself a rest day once a week. I'm working through level 1 right now, and it is getting easier, especially because I'm adding in 1-2 days of cardio per week so I feel like I can go longer and stronger. Nervous about doing L2 though, everyone says it's so much harder!

Thank you! I am going to try this and hopefully I will be able to stick with it this time!

I've been looking for this clarification - Thanks for posting!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    30 day shred was the first dvd i did back in august when i first got on MFP. it did amazing things for me and prepared to me to do ripped in 30. i lost 9 lb on it. it was really a game changer. i was inactive for about 2 years and hopped back into it with this one. went on to complete many more jililan dvd's and now doing insanity. it got me some results i coudl see and got me to feel very encouraged about weight loss.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I lost 11inches and a little over 6lbs. I posted the pics on my profile of the before and after. I'm doing Ripped in 30 now, which I think is harder but I'm hoping to get similar results.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You've all motivated me to give the shred another go - with the extra stretching though!! I'm going to get the DVD out after the kdis go to bed.

Where are the places you are all measuring on your bodies for before and after?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!