Food for post-workout

Options
Anyone have any suggestions on what kinds of food to eat after a workout? I have been eating bananas, mostly.. also considering protein shakes, but not sure what kind to try. What do you guys think? ^_^

Replies

• Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same position too! :')
    So, on that note: bump. ;)
  • meggiewes
    meggiewes Posts: 19
    Options
    I've heard that a glass of chocolate milk is good for after an intense workout. I'm not sure of why, but I do remember hearing it said. I normally just have water and some fruit if I'm feeling hungry.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I want to know the same thing
  • mandy_freeman
    Options
    protein is the best. Any kind. You should eat protein at least an hour post workout to feed your muscles.
  • Spenele
    Spenele Posts: 1
    Options
    Definitely don't eat bananas, they're really high in sugar. Natural sugar, but sugar none the less. A guy at a vitamin shoppe told me thats the worst fruit to eat if you're trying to lose weight. If you can help it don't eat after you work out. Drink water till you're full. Thats just me though.
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I usually have either a protein shake (with Allmax Isoflex Protein powder, low cal low carb, fruit and yogurt) or a glass of chocolate milk! Usually the protein shake because I have trouble getting enough protein in daily, and I can incorporate lots of calories into the protein shake for days when I am struggling to meet my goal!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I would say anything that has protiens and stays with the diet and cal numbers
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    guiness and a roast beef sammich :P
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The best thing to add after a work out is an amino packed drink. Something like Vega Post workout recovery or MR. Your body needs to consume electrolytes and amino acids to repare muscles. As for food you can eat some fruit or a yogurt after, your body is still burning calories right after your work out so feel free to replenish it after your have done a good work out
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    A little bit of carbs and some protein is your best bet post-workout. Start giving those muscles fresh protein to repair with. Personally, I can't eat too close to a workout. Just no appetite! But that's why you see people drinking those protein shakes coming out of the locker rooms.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    My trainer (who's about as ripped as you can get) always tells me to eat about 30 grams of gummi bears or angel food cake (I tend to go with swedish fish). The idea is to quickly replace the glucose the muscles have lost so they can begin repairing. This is after heavy lifting.
  • LaniCanDoIt
    Options
    I know we need protein after working out but I am also on the same boat as you. I really do not know what food is best for us to eat.
  • HFunk84
    HFunk84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Something with protein is a good idea as it helps your muscles to repair after all that usage.
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Protein shake
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great. I personally do a protein shake WITH bananas (did I just blow your mind?).

There are tons of different protein powders out there (I would personally suggest to stay away from the pre-made shakes). I personally like from EAS or Optimum Nutrition (both whey).
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I like something with protein after my workouts so I usally eat:

Cottage cheese with a bit of honey if I want something sweet.
    Greek yogurt
    A Luna bar
    Protein shake with almond milk. I usually have only half a serving to keep the calories down.

If I eat a banana it is usually half of one before I workout.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't eat bananas, they're really high in sugar. Natural sugar, but sugar none the less. A guy at a vitamin shoppe told me thats the worst fruit to eat if you're trying to lose weight. If you can help it don't eat after you work out. Drink water till you're full. Thats just me though.

Rule No. 1 - most guys at "vitamin shops' are idiots...bananas are not bad, in moderation, just like anything else. And the sugar from bananas is burned as more available fuel for your body than processed sugar so pre-workout it is a good fuel source.

Post-workout I would go with a whey protein followed by a light meal of protein like chicken or tuna, some good carb like sweet potato or corn and veggies..and water.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Depends on intensity of the workout. I like to get some protein in as well as the electrolytes I've lost if I've been sweating a lot. When I do a long run/bike ride in warm weather I usually eat a banana (carbs & potassium) with some peanut butter on a whole wheat muffin. Gets some protein as well as salt/magnesium/potassium back in me.

For a lighter workout I don't really worry about it. Maybe some coconut water to rehydrate.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If I'm lifting, I follow up with a protein shake, but chocolate milk certainly works! It's supposed to be the perfect combination of carbohydrates (sugars) and protein.

I use the chocolate malt-flavored Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard mixed with skim milk. It's relatively cheap and packs a decent amount of protein for the calories.
  • AngelaR1
    AngelaR1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I actually read yesterday that a banana is the perfect food to eat after a very hard workout but with protein as well. Bananas have a very high glycemic index and are said to help get the nutrients from the protein faster to help repair your muscles.

Several choices exist for post-workout nutrition. Selecting the appropriate amounts of carbohydrates, fat and protein can be difficult while trying to lose weight. As a general rule, post-workout meals should consist of carbohydrates and protein, but if you are trying to achieve weight loss, you need to follow additional post-workout eating guidelines. Consume protein that provides essential amino acids that help to rebuild damaged muscles, such as a protein supplement. Consume a balance of carbohydrates from fruit--such as bananas, apples or pears--or vegetables--such as sweet potatoes or carrots.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/130788-postworkout-nutrition-weight-loss/#ixzz1pm14HIf2