What do you wish you knew when you started?

Options
I saw a comment on an earlier thread along the lines of "I wish I knew what I know now when I started"... what is it that you've learned that might help someone (like me) who is just starting.

I've lost and gained a thousand times, but it looks like MFP is legit- people seem to be having great success. I've done a variety of other diets, but never counted calories. So far, it seems pretty fool-proof.

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is my list, that's ever growing...

It's not a quick thing.

Losing weight doesn't have to mean starving.

If you want to keep muscles, don't eat below your BMR - and lift weights. You won't get 'bulky' unless you're a man or have an unnatural amount of testosterone.

Macros are set wrong if you want to be healthy - Try 50/25/25 or 40/30/30 (carb/fat/protein)
  • msbellzee
    msbellzee Posts: 69
    Options
    I wish I had known how hard it would be, I have found that working out is lots of work with tiny gradual results.......it is worth it, but it's slow.
  • JesiDM
    JesiDM Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known it doesn't have to be "all or nothing". This is real life. You get to start over every day. Dieting doesn't work. Lifestyle changes do.
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I wish I had known all of this when I was 13.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known it doesn't have to be "all or nothing". This is real life. You get to start over every day. Dieting doesn't work. Lifestyle changes do.

This has been my biggest challenge, but it's so true!
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options

I couldn't agree more.
  • tyroneadams
    Options
    bump
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known that it was going to work... I would've taken some "before" photos and taken my measurements all over.

I wish I had thrown out my scale because I'm addicted to weighing every day... and although I don't let it affect me, it still affects me.

I wish I had known all of the information that I have now found through my own research, and realized that this is a progressive lifestyle change - well, I wish I had known that 20 years ago rather than having to go through this again.

But, most of all, I really wish I had known that I was worth this.
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have started and stopped this journey many times. I wish I would have known then that a community of support makes all the difference in the world!
  • melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew that healthy & fit is more beautiful than skinny, and that a scale is not worth crying over. Stressing out just equals more unhealthy eating.
  • Strawberry_Kitten
    Options
    I wish i'd known that my parents were never gonna change and that cutting them out of my life was for the best. Everything got better/easier and the lb dropped off cause i wasnt stress eating.
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wish I would of known the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight. :cry:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I wish I took more "before" pictures! I didn't take any of my bum until I'd already lost 20 pounds and it had already shrunk considerably.

I wish I never bothered with 1200 calories. I did better eating a minimum of 1350 plus all my exercise calories, and better still around 1500+... But if I had't tried 1200, I couldn't argue with all those who think it's best. :wink:
  • kelseyruiz
    Options
    I wish I'd known how important the water part is. I started out not really entering that portion and lost for a while and then completely stalled for about 3 weeks. It wasn't until I started drinking more water that the scale started to move again.

Secondly, I wish I'd known just how unhealthy I was. I got complacent and totally forgot what it feels like to feel good both healthy and confident. I've been feeling good again for some time now and I can't believe I let food become more important than that.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    IIFYM.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I wish i knew (maybe i wouldn't have failed a million times prior)
    1. the number on scale is much less important than loosing inches all over your body.
    2. it takes a few weeks before some people start to lose weight.
    3. having a strong will power doesn't matter unless you keep at it.
    4. "grazing" on foods(eating a few bites of a bunch of things) definitely counts toward daily totals.
    5. getting fit would make me feel amazing (If i knew this one, maybe I would have tried a bit harder all those other times)
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known that it is okay to love myself right now just as I am today.

I wish I would have known that dieting is no fun, but making lifestyle changes is exciting.

I wish I would have known that talking positively to myself works so much better than talking negatively.

I wish I would have known that no one person has all the answers.

There is strength in numbers.

Welcome, and much success to you.
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ...4. "grazing" on foods(eating a few bites of a bunch of things) definitely counts toward daily totals...
    Haha - yes. I'm still trying to convince my hubby of that!
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew when I started..

a) How much people hate on you when you get results
    b) That HIIT/Circuit is the best way to get lean/burn fat (Would've been further along...it's all good though)