What do you eat when you need to "snack"

Options
I have an oral fixation which is one of the reasons I am so fat!!! I have started chewing on straws, but it just doesn't cut it. Are there any low calorie snacks you like to munch on through out the day?

Replies

• twasadark
    twasadark Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dreyer's has some Splenda sweetened fruit popsicles that the box says are 25 calories each. They're good, but if I eat too many my tummy is unhappy - probably because of the artificial sweetners. Anyhow, here's a link, but it says 30 calories a piece. Not bad, though: http://dreyers.com/brand/fruitbars/flavor.asp?b=135&f=2592

Do you drink tea? Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple tea is naturally sweet, and if you add a packet of stevia to it it's quite sweet.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love pistachios, they aren't exactly low calorie, but they satisfy me so quickly that it doesn't matter.
  • Naomib1
    Naomib1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Suger free Jello and 96% Fat free popcorn! When I started I lived off of these!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Raw vegetables, fruit, kale chips, roasted chickpeas, freeze dried fruit, air-popped popcorn, single servings of nuts (it's easy to overdo these, but they can be nice and filling). Occasionally I'll eat pretzels or crackers too, but again, you have to watch the serving sizes. Veggies, and high-water fruits (e.g. watermelon) are your best bets, because it's hard to do a lot of damage with them. And gum helps too.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    When I feel I'm hungry I just drink water or chew gum...but if worse comes to worse almonds.
  • jbuntu
    jbuntu Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Zone Perfect Double Dark Chocolate or Dark Chocolate Almond bars are my favorite snack. They are 190 calories with a good protein-to-carb balance and are very filling (at least to me). Quick and easy.
  • Richdogg38
    Richdogg38 Posts: 152
    Options
    Pringles! Any flavor. I know it isn't healthy but its the truth. Sorry.
  • Rick_SH
    Rick_SH Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Almonds. High fiber. Nutritious. They make me thirsty which makes me drink water. Which fills me up. Keeps me out of the candy machine at work.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If it's just an oral fixation, there's chewing gum in every imaginable flavor. Extra has dessert flavored ones - Apple Pie, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Strawberry Shortcake.

If you are actually hungry, Reduced Fat String Cheese Sticks, Raw baby carrots, Raw Pepper Slices (mini sweet peppers)

And when I need a "naughty" snack, I love Dark Chocolate Roasted Almonds...or a single Hershey's Special Dark Miniature bar (I've still got some in the freezer from a bag I bought over 6 months ago)
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    Zone Perfect Double Dark Chocolate or Dark Chocolate Almond bars are my favorite snack. They are 190 calories with a good protein-to-carb balance and are very filling (at least to me). Quick and easy.

I love those double chocolate!! I love the Zone Fudge Graham too!

I love your avatar! Go Iron Giant!!
  • BertieGotSkill
    BertieGotSkill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like Snap Pea crisps. I eat the Snack Salad brand where one serving (22 pieces) is 130 calories. It's a very satisfying crunch. Also the "Sweet N Salty Honey Nut" Chex mix is good- 130 calories for 1/2 a cup. Really yummy!
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Clementines or apple slices if I am just wanting something to mess with and eat...Wasa with hummus or a little cereal with almond milk if I want something crunchy and/or more substantial.
  • itsirkmr
    itsirkmr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Light popcorn, veggies + hummus, apple + reduced fat cheese, whole grain cereal with skim milk. If I don't have any calories left I'll have hot tea with splenda and a splash of skim milk. I try to save at least 200 calories for after dinner because I stay up late and am a snacker.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I will eat almost any snack if I am craving it. Sometimes I just crave a handful of Lay's potato chips (salt is my weakness) and will count out my 10 chips and eat them. I learned that I can have pretty much whatever, just has to be in moderation. Fortunately I don't crave the bad stuff very often, so opt to eat veggies, or special k chips.
  • daphnedmm
    daphnedmm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pict Sweet Deluxe Sides Edamame w/ Sea Salt works well for me. It takes a long time to eat & has 9 grams if protein/3.5 grams of fat.
  • msmileyface
    msmileyface Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you need a naughtier fix.. go for baked cheetos, they rock!
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If I have to eat I prefer to have enough to feel somewhat satiated. One of my go to-s is hummus with celerly, sliced red pepper and/or snap peas. Easy to keep it under 170 calories and very satisfying.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Cucumber with salt!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! I make a big batch and my whole family eats it. And apples..... they satisfy my need for crunch
  • AAthena
    AAthena Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keeping a large bottle of water nearby at all times has really helped me with my oral fixation and to drink more water :) I also keep the folowing handy: small apples, baby carrots, gensoy chocolate soy crisps, cream brule or chocolate-mint quaker rice cake minis...really, my desk drawer has a large assortment of rice cake minis ;) I get a strong urge for crunchy things, so all of those reall help!! When i need something salty or warm i grab some edamame from my freezer. Its a great quick fix. This is a great topic. I am getting many new ideas.