Curbing hunger at night

Options

Replies

• mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of healthy peanut butter or cream cheese on a stalk of celery is enough to help me.
    Or, I drink a glass of milk.
    I usually save some calories for night because it happens to me often.

If you are running low on calories - cucumbers are very low in calories and can be filling. Maybe try cucumbers
    with some hummus.

Stay away from breads and sugary foods as they make you feel hungry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    And if your exercising you should never skip breakfast.
    There is no evidence to support this. I've done it for years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Regarding the OP:

I would suggest eating less during the day and save more calories for night time so that you can freely eat more at night and stay at the same end-of-day calorie/macro intake. If this still causes problems, I'd look at satiety on a per-meal basis and see if you can select foods that keep you full for longer periods of time.

Regarding skipping meals, you can go for a day or two without issues. Skipping breakfast is perfectly harmless metabolically speaking. The whole concept of eating frequently to stoke your metabolism has been debunked readily.

I wrote a detailed and referenced post on this, but I'll be damned if I can find it. LOL.
    Let's write a book.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Hi! Anyone have any tips on curbing hunger at night? or maybe healthy snack suggestions? I usually eat well during the day, then around 9-10:00 I become ravenous. I ruin my whole within this time, then I go to bed soon after and wake up the next morning feeling terrible. Any advice is appreciated! Feel free to add me!
    Save calories for night. I eat well after 11:00pm everyday. I just make sure it's part of my daily calories.

IDEA Fitness member

yup. I'm looking at a -3 right now, just finishing dinner. (jimmy john's, ftw.)
    but I'm headed to the gym in 4 or 5 hours, will knock off 400 or so calories. that means a nice 300-calorie snack at about 1 a.m. or so.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    And to the op, there's tons of good ideas on things to eat at nite. I got this one from a guy that lost like 150lbs. Eat sugar free jello at nite if your worried about going over your calories. It has almost zero calories and it's very filling.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

yeah, but look at you! you've burned through all your muscle!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    LoL
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, it's so funny when people ask me what my nutrition is like and then when I tell them the look on their faces are priceless! That I can eat fast food a couple of times a week, that I don't adhere to the several meals a day broscience, that I eat well into late in the evening and that I skip breakfast and still maintain a great physique appalls them because of all the misinformation they here from other trainers and their "healthy" friends. Granted my genetics help out some, but I eat the way I do based on the research I've read about and not based on hearsay from the fitness industry. Consequently, my clientele is off the hook and I have one of the best "results" records to back me compared to a lot of my peers who follow old redundant fallacies of weight loss from days of yore.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, it's so funny when people ask me what my nutrition is like and then when I tell them the look on their faces are priceless! That I can eat fast food a couple of times a week, that I don't adhere to the several meals a day broscience, that I eat well into late in the evening and that I skip breakfast and still maintain a great physique appalls them because of all the misinformation they here from other trainers and their "healthy" friends. Granted my genetics help out some, but I eat the way I do based on the research I've read about and not based on hearsay from the fitness industry. Consequently, my clientele is off the hook and I have one of the best "results" records to back me compared to a lot of my peers who follow old redundant fallacies of weight loss from days of yore.

IDEA Fitness member
    Ninerbuff, so eating 4-5 meals a day is broscience?
    Since your handle is football related I will use the following article as an example, it includes the daily meal plan for the players of the NY. Jets and was implemented by the teams Nutritionist Dr. Tom Bilella C.C.N. (Dr. Tom Bilella is an expert in metabolic nutrition and a leading authority in exercise & nutrition, nutritional medicine, and training).
    and is very detailed down to what and how his players eat (It varies depending on the individual player) and down to the minute of when they should eat . The arcticle is located on page 80 of Muscle & Fitness NFL Training Issue called """""""" Jets Fuel, New York Jets Nutrtionist Dr. Tom Bilella, C.C.N. Shows You How To Eat For Maximum Performance."""" """"""Breakfast first thing in the morning then the players eat a meal every 2-3 hours (depending on the player) throughout the day, even on day days they do not train, to keep the body from going into a catabolic state. While post-workouts is the anabolic phase, the "growth phase" spans from workout to workout., and the goal is to maintain an anabolic environment by getting frequent feedings during the day, Bilella says, "One of the big buzzwords in sports nutrition is nutrient timing- staying in an anabolic state, whether that be pre-exercise, during,after or at other times of the day."""""

Now I apologize but Im gonna have to go with the opinion of an actual Dr. that is also an expert in metabolic nutrition and a leading authority in exercise & nutrition, nutritional medicine, and training.
    And by the way, in charge of the diets of each and every player on the NY. Jets (some of the best athletes in the world and worth millions of dollars) than the opinion of a PT. that just has an NFL team's name in his handle.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like to have a fiber one oats and chocolate bar around 7:30- 9:00 pm, and either a Edys fruit frozen bar or a piece of fruit with or after my dinner to satisfy my sweet tooth if its hollering at me.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I battled this for years, then solved my problem by switching to the leangains eating pattern. I was never really hungry for breakfast etc, so I now eat all my calories between 2 and 10pm. It means I can eat a larger dinner and snack in the evening which suits my hunger patterns. And I have lost weight on the same number of calories so its been a win win for me! And according to body composition analysis the vast majority has been fat loss, not muscle.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It does not matter when you eat, nor how many meals you eat. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency Read through the various studies and articles linked there and you will find that anyone saying any different is simply out of date.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Try going to sleep! :drinker:

boring but it works :)
  • nattief83
    nattief83 Posts: 35
    Options
    Strawberries or cherry toms are my best friends at this time of night if needed, eat a whole punnet and still only consume about 60 calories.
    b4 findin this out tho i would plan my eveninng snack in the morning and calculate into the diary so that it wouldnt put ur cals over when it came to having it, altho was always a binus if u get to take it out if u didnt have it,
    That or ill go bed and do my jigsaw or read a book, something that will keep mind off eating. usually works pretty well.
  • hellolouisey
    Options
    I agree with kkbecker12 - brushing your teeth really does help!

But if you're really hungry, have a little snack. My faves are extra light cheese spread triangles, cottage cheese and crab sticks.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Stop snacking at night. It is not a true hunger message, just think how long you go between meals during the day.

I found that stopping snacking at night was hard for a few days but when I broke the cycle the false hunger massages stopped.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    well its 3 am here and I'm about to eat some hard boiled eggs. I am not fighting my growling tummy because if I do it will win :)
  • ChinaLexie
    ChinaLexie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One simple thing that works for me is: Tea. Yeah, living in China has sent snacking to a whole new level. Snacks here are either a.) fruit b.) vegetables or c.) processed junk. I thought America had TONS of junk, well, China is side-by-side. So, I figured out having something that tastes food-esque really curbs the night time hunger pangs. Obviously go caffeine free, but enjoy flavors that coax you to hit the hay such as: mint, chamomile, ginger (yum!), lemon, etc... Wild Sweet Orange (Tazo) is my favorite, though!

No calories, fills you up, and tricks your body into thinking it ate. :) Get a variety so you have choices and don't feel a boring 'routine' coming on!

If that doesn't work, try a handful of almonds or some egg whites. I try to do low cal, low sugar, low carbs at night!
  • billthekill
    Options
    Ninerbuff, so eating 4-5 meals a day is broscience?
    Since your handle is football related I will use the following article as an example, it includes the daily meal plan for the players of the NY. Jets and was implemented by the teams Nutritionist Dr. Tom Bilella C.C.N. (Dr. Tom Bilella is an expert in metabolic nutrition and a leading authority in exercise & nutrition, nutritional medicine, and training).
    and is very detailed down to what and how his players eat (It varies depending on the individual player) and down to the minute of when they should eat . The arcticle is located on page 80 of Muscle & Fitness NFL Training Issue called """""""" Jets Fuel, New York Jets Nutrtionist Dr. Tom Bilella, C.C.N. Shows You How To Eat For Maximum Performance."""" """"""Breakfast first thing in the morning then the players eat a meal every 2-3 hours (depending on the player) throughout the day, even on day days they do not train, to keep the body from going into a catabolic state. While post-workouts is the anabolic phase, the "growth phase" spans from workout to workout., and the goal is to maintain an anabolic environment by getting frequent feedings during the day, Bilella says, "One of the big buzzwords in sports nutrition is nutrient timing- staying in an anabolic state, whether that be pre-exercise, during,after or at other times of the day."""""

Now I apologize but Im gonna have to go with the opinion of an actual Dr. that is also an expert in metabolic nutrition and a leading authority in exercise & nutrition, nutritional medicine, and training.
    And by the way, in charge of the diets of each and every player on the NY. Jets (some of the best athletes in the world and worth millions of dollars) than the opinion of a PT. that just has an NFL team's name in his handle.

This was pretty much the universal opinion of 99% of the fitness expert 10 years ago. New studies pretty much have debunked these myths.

A lot of these "old school" fitness expert had to just swallow their pride and move on. These expert are now giving sound advice.

Those that are too proud to admit that the old way of thinking was wrong are now stuck in the stone ages.
  • billthekill
    Options
    Hi! Anyone have any tips on curbing hunger at night? or maybe healthy snack suggestions? I usually eat well during the day, then around 9-10:00 I become ravenous. I ruin my whole within this time, then I go to bed soon after and wake up the next morning feeling terrible. Any advice is appreciated! Feel free to add me!

Would help if you open up your diary for public viewing. Upping your protein may help (got to see your diary though). As suggested by some, eat less calories during the morning a save them for later on. Skipping breakfast is actually sound advice.