Meat eater's limited choices

Options
vancil01
vancil01 Posts: 70 Member
Good morning folks!

I am a meat eater, I love steaks and cheeseburgers and hot dogs, etc. etc....so my now wife decided she wanted to go "pescatarian" a few years ago and I agreed to not cook or keep meat in the house, however, I do order meat dishes when we go out to eat....sorry had to give a bit of background before my question.

I have finally convinced her to let me have some meat in the house, but it has been in the form of high sodium lunch meat. It is great for low cal, low fat and high protein, but the sodium levels are outstanding....like 670mg per 2oz. serving! So, I eat 2oz. for lunch and 2oz. for snack later and that puts me well on my way to the 2300mg goal for the day.

Does anyone have any advice for a person in my situation, where I have limited meat choices to keep in my home...to take to work and eat?

Thanks!

Replies

• yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    don't mean to sound like a ***** .. but if you can respect her food choices why isn't she returning the favor..?

edited because i fail at life aka simple spelling. -_____-
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There are many low sodium "lunch" meats at the deli counter these days, just ask your store if they have them. I think they taste better....
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    CHICKEN!!! #1
  • m4wbag
    m4wbag Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You're an equal partner I presume. Demand equal consideration in your own home and fill the fridge with whatever you want.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    Sara Lee makes a lower sodium Turkey breast I can get out of deli. I can't remember the Sodium content but it was better then reg.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could offer to cook , clean and shop for your own meat. That processed stuff is not good for you.
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Options
    don't mean to sound like a ***** .. but if you can respect her food choices when isn't she returning the favor..?

My thought exactly. When I decided to ecome fit I didn't force my ex to stop eating chips and cookies.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's bizarre to me that she will only allow you to have overly processed lunch meat in the house and not lean ground meat.

But, anyways... try going for the low sodium options. Besides that I don't really think you have a choice... Things like ham will always be a bit higher in sodium, so if I were you I'd try to stick to turkey or chicken.

I think it's really odd that she wont even let you keep it in the house... you are on a very short leash, my friend.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to bake the chicken/beef yourself and slice it up in your sandwich. Season as you like, it will probably still be lower sodium then prepackaged lunch meats.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    As a Catholic I'm having a hard time finding awesome protein sources as well. Every Friday until Easter we cannot eat meat, eggs is one thing I've been eating as well as cheese, Greek yogurt has a lot, but you trade in like 12-14 g of sugar. I don't each much lunch meat, I'm sorry.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Dan, is that you?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You can buy frozen chicken, ham, turkey and cook it for lunch meat for the week.
    Or
    Ask at your deli for low or no sodium meats.

for instance i'll buy a pound of chicken breast and cook it on sunday then split it up throughout the week for my sammichez!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    As a Catholic I'm having a hard time finding awesome protein sources as well. Every Friday until Easter we cannot eat meat, eggs is one thing I've been eating as well as cheese, Greek yogurt has a lot, but you trade in like 12-14 g of sugar. I don't each much lunch meat, I'm sorry.

Dannon Oikos has 80 calories a cup and only 6g of sugar in their plain greek. It's all the fruit flavored ones that are loaded with extra sugar.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You're an equal partner I presume. Demand equal consideration in your own home and fill the fridge with whatever you want.

This.
  • vancil01
    Options
    Thanks for all the choices folks :) And don't get me wrong, she hasn't forced me to do anything and she is a very understanding chick and I love her very much, it was actually my choice not to have meat in the house to help her switch to veggietarianism. Now that I am losing weight, lifting more and eating right...I want my proteins to come from lean meats (along with eggs, veggies etc. etc.). I do only buy turkey breast from the store and even the non Honey version has 670mg of sodium lol.

Sounds like I just need to spend a bit more and hit up the deli for some low sodium choices :)
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Talk to her. Then buy meat.
    No matter how "low sodium" of a presliced deli meat you buy, it will still have to have a decent amount to preserve it. its been cooked and sliced, and needs to store for a bit.
    just keep it in "your corner" of the freezer or something.
  • vancil01
    Options
    Talk to her. Then buy meat.
    No matter how "low sodium" of a presliced deli meat you buy, it will still have to have a decent amount to preserve it. its been cooked and sliced, and needs to store for a bit.
    just keep it in "your corner" of the freezer or something.

Yeah, I have tried that and will continue to lol...I really need to get some chicken breast up in there.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am strictly vegetarian, my husband isn't. I do all the cooking, so he doesn't have meat in the house most of the time. I wouldn't appreciate him cooking meat in my kitchen. Luckily he is sensible enough to realise that is isn't ideal to have meat every meal anyway, so when he is at home, he eats healthy vegetarian food, and when he is at work and when we eat out, he has meat, if he feels like it.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I gave up processed meats just after I started tracking my foods using mfp. The sodium content can be quite staggering. I eat a lot of chicken breast. How does your wife feel about canned Tuna? It's a good source of lean protein and maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't think a can of tuna in the cupboard would offend a vegetarian.
  • vancil01
    Options
    I gave up processed meats just after I started tracking my foods using mfp. The sodium content can be quite staggering. I eat a lot of chicken breast. How does your wife feel about canned Tuna? It's a good source of lean protein and maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't think a can of tuna in the cupboard would offend a vegetarian.

Tuna is fine, she is a vegetarian that eats fish...so she will eat tuna as well. That is a good option :) I can eat other fishes as well, like salmon, but sometimes, I just don't feel like cooking and want to grab and go.