What would you do?

Options
jacquelyn_erika
jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
I posted yesterday about how I put my two weeks notice in and now my boss and two other co-workers of mine (there are only 5 of us total, so basically the whole office) have been talking badly about me. Now I'm sitting at my desk, my boss has her door wide open and one of the leasing agents are in there. They are talking about a replacement and who they know that might be appropriate for the job, then they started blatantly talking badly about me! They lowered to a whisper, but it was more of like an indoor library voice that everyone can still hear.

I'm shaking and I'm upset. I still have to be here for one more week and it's not fair for me to be subjected to their horrible opinion of me. When I started this job, there were certain things my boss used to do and then she gave me a pay raise and said it was my job. I agreed to do it because of the raise (duh) but because I didn't know any better. After a few weeks, I realized all along she should've continued to take over that responsibility because that way she had a "hand" in what I was doing. Now her and one of the ladies are saying she needs to go back to that because that's how it SHOULD be. I've been saying it all along but nobody gave a crap.

They are going to continue to talk badly about me until the day I leave. I won't be using my boss as a reference because I don't trust her even though she says she will give me a good one. I'm half tempted to leave and not come back. I'm miserable.

What would you do? I've been here for 5 months and I've never been treated worse. Stick it out or say F it and leave?

Replies

• tinamarie204
    Options
    Stick it out...you might not be using your boss as a reference, but word travels in certain cirlces (not sure if you are intending to stay in the same industry or not). Even though its not your fault, you don't want to be known for leaving your company hanging. While interviewing for positions in my office, that was the one thing I wanted to know about prosepctive employees.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Call your boss out on it. Tell them you can hear them and it isn't appropriate.
    You deserve better.

Also I like the idea below my comment lol
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    If it was me, I would have left and tell the boss you are done. Since they feel you was doing badly no since in staying any longer.

I wish you luck on the new job though.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Could you walk over to their office door (so they see you) and look them in the eye and slowly close the door, sure would show them that you heard them and perhaps embarrass them. When I first started at a previous job, my boss was talking badly about me and I just walked away and always regretted not letting him know that I heard exactly what he said.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    Stick it out...you might not be using your boss as a reference, but word travels in certain cirlces (not sure if you are intending to stay in the same industry or not). Even though its not your fault, you don't want to be known for leaving your company hanging. While interviewing for positions in my office, that was the one thing I wanted to know about prosepctive employees.

I'm still in school and took this job because it was more appropriate for my schedule at the time. I will most likely go back to the service industry for the time being. I'm relocating 1,200 miles away so fortunately nobody will get word...at least I hope.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Do you need the money for the next two weeks? if not say F it and leave. If you do need to stay confront her about it tell her it is not appropriate. If she doesnt stop put on your big girl panties and deal with it. Some people are just *kitten*. You will be dealing with this in some form the rest of your life.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    They are upset that they have to replace a great asset. They are frustrated that they will have to work harder and re-assume more responsibility. They are angry that you have rejected them. They will take out their frustrations by talking bad about you. It's all their problem, not yours. They're just magpies chattering at the window.

Finish out your time, take that last paycheck with a smile, say toodle-loo, and move on to better places.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :wink: Stick it out & show them that you are the better person in this situation. You NEVER want to leave a job by just walking out; you never if that one action will come back & bite you in the butt later!! It's only a week; plus think about how petty & childish they are and one of them is your boss~very unprofessional!!! Show them you are made of stronger stuff than they are, I know you can do it!!!!!!!:wink:
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: If you have another job opportunity, I would up and leave. But when you do, MAKE AN EXIT! Say what you trully feel. You do not deserve to b treated that way and shouldn't stay there and deal with it! It may be a little tight on money for a bit, but it's much more important to have your pride and dignity :) You deserve respect, so respect yourself and leave sweetie, and never look back
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Sticky situation. Just do your job and keep a low profile. You "could" ask your boss for a letter of recommendation to take with you when you leave. That way, you can decide whether or not to use it when you apply for future employment. Believe me, it's not uncommon for people to talk when someone is leaving. Try not to take it personal. People are jockey-ing for position because you are leaving.

Best of luck!

Edit: Hmm I don't agree with ktarvin above. Keep in mind that while you are working any and all behavior can affect future employment. Act professional at all times. If you up and walk out, a prospective employer may look at that as something that may happen again in the future.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    If there is an HR department consider filing a complaint just to have record of it.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

I'm still in school and took this job because it was more appropriate for my schedule at the time. I will most likely go back to the service industry for the time being. I'm relocating 1,200 miles away so fortunately nobody will get word...at least I hope.

Than by all means tell them the environment they have is poisonus and leave
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is difficult to be there and it would be much easier for you to just leave and not come back.

That being said, remember that the only person whose opinion of you matters is your own. You know you did a great job, and that's all that really matters. Your boss knows too. Them talking bad about you is a reflection on themselves and probably a coping mechanism for the anxiety I'm sure they feel about you leaving.

Someone once told me that when faced with a problem, ask yourself what the 100 year old you would want you to do.

I can't speak for you, but the 100 year old me would want me to stick it out. Why? Because I would not give those girls the satisfaction of knowing they got to me.

Regardless of what you do, it sounds like you are on to bigger and better things. Good luck!!
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I say stick it out. They may think badly of you and now you know it, but never leave a job before your notice is up. It stinks because they are talking trash but if you walk out on them that is just one more bad thing they can say about you. At least prove them wrong in some regard. Hang in there.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    Do you need the money for the next two weeks? if not say F it and leave. If you do need to stay confront her about it tell her it is not appropriate. If she doesnt stop put on your big girl panties and deal with it. Some people are just *kitten*. You will be dealing with this in some form the rest of your life.

I would miss that last paycheck but it's not worth it to be subjected to their *kitten* talking..lol. We are moving to Florida (driving) so we could probably use all the money we can get BUT at the same time I'm willing to cut my losses and not get that last check!
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If there is an HR department consider filing a complaint just to have record of it.

Or maybe take out your cell phone recorder, and start videotaping the incident.....and walk into her office (as the door was open) to see who was making the conversation, and politely inform them that you just wanted to take their picture so you could have something to remember them by! Then, I would contact the DOL in your state and file a formal grievance. Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    They are upset that they have to replace a great asset. They are frustrated that they will have to work harder and re-assume more responsibility. They are angry that you have rejected them. They will take out their frustrations by talking bad about you. It's all their problem, not yours. They're just magpies chattering at the window.

Finish out your time, take that last paycheck with a smile, say toodle-loo, and move on to better places.

You are so so so right.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you are not going to need her for a reference why are you still there? You do not need to be subject of abuse and that clearly is what it is. Leave.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    I should add that there is no HR department unfortunately. I work for a property management company. My boss is the owner/broker, her niece is a leasing agent as well as one other lady who has been here for 5+ years (my boss has owned the company for 8, so they are pretty tight).

I work directly with a girl who I used to wait tables with. She is very, very, very aggressive with her personality and is extremely worried about who they will replace me with because she has no idea who can handle working with her. We are "friends" and the way she treats me at work sometimes BLOWS my mind. I feel for whoever replaces me.

I'm sitting here thinking hard about what I should do. I know the right thing is to stick it out... but they need to know that their actions are unacceptable.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Could you walk over to their office door (so they see you) and look them in the eye and slowly close the door, sure would show them that you heard them and perhaps embarrass them. When I first started at a previous job, my boss was talking badly about me and I just walked away and always regretted not letting him know that I heard exactly what he said.

Hahahah, I like this one.

Please, if you can, do not allow their opinion of you define who you are. This can become toxic in your life and cause a resentment, let me tell you this kind of resentment is like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies. You are the only one that is effected by this.

These people WILL get their turn riding on the Karma bus, trust me, they will. As hard as it may be, try to trust in that and not let these people bother you.

Seesh, and we thought the bullying would stop in high school huh?

Take care and remember, when you take the high road, you look down on the low lifes.

Lesa