Meat eater's limited choices

Options

Replies

• EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    don't mean to sound like a ***** .. but if you can respect her food choices why isn't she returning the favor..?

edited because i fail at life aka simple spelling. -_____-

This!!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    bake your own chicken breasts and slice em up way lower sodium that way, or some petite sirloins and slice em and have them in all those lunch meat containers and just eat what you want for the day:)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think a :laugh: fish eating vegetarian :laugh: should be telling others what they can eat or what they can keep in the house.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    She's been pescatarian for a few years, now? So she's got it "down," so to speak? I think it's time she can handle having meat in the house. It was sweet of you to offer at first. Now it's her turn. Go get you some MEAT.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Boar's Head Lower Sodium or no sodium added meats at the deli. They have chicken, ham and turkey that way. It still has a lot of sodium but less than the packaged ones. I make sure I drink LOTS of water...LOTS!
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :wink: First off I love the tat!! :wink:

Secondly you should be able to have meat in the house & eat it if you please; it wasn't your decision to go meatless but your wifes. In so saying Boarshead is low sodium plus if I remember correctly preservative free & Sara Lee also has low sodium. Good luck to you! :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    She's been pescatarian for a few years, now? So she's got it "down," so to speak? I think it's time she can handle having meat in the house. It was sweet of you to offer at first. Now it's her turn. Go get you some MEAT.

Exactly. I stopped eating ALL meat years ago, but never requested that anyone else in my home not have it in the house. Time to put your foot down, dude.
  • vancil01
    vancil01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Love this response! Thanks for the laugh and I will heed your advice!
  • jbuntu
    jbuntu Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ...so my now wife decided she wanted to go "pescatarian" a few years ago...

Maybe future wife will be more accommodating. ;-)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am strictly vegetarian, my husband isn't. I do all the cooking, so he doesn't have meat in the house most of the time. I wouldn't appreciate him cooking meat in my kitchen. Luckily he is sensible enough to realise that is isn't ideal to have meat every meal anyway, so when he is at home, he eats healthy vegetarian food, and when he is at work and when we eat out, he has meat, if he feels like it.

His kitchen too!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Buy second fridge.
    Put in basement.
    Buy cow from local farm.
    Put in basement fridge.
    Tell wife you are now bovatarian and she must respect your food choice.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Chicken is a must for me. If your wife isn't keen on keeping fresh, raw chicken around, you can always buy frozen chicken breasts or frozen chicken breast tenders. They are easy to prepare, even without thawing. I'll cook up several servings of them at once so I can have chicken for several different meals. They can be eaten as is (seasoned of course) or chopped up (after cooking) and added to pasta, rice, salads, sandwiches, etc. Also, Valley Fresh canned all-white chicken breast in water is good too. I buy this often and eat for lunch in various ways: chicken salad on celery slices or whole wheat crackers, chicken sandwich, etc. Best of luck!
  • vancil01
    Options
    Buy second fridge.
    Put in basement.
    Buy cow from local farm.
    Put in basement fridge.

Hahahaha, we live in an apt. though...I call it house because I like to pretend haha
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd eat loads of yummy fish and seafood at home for a low-fat, low sodium protein source and grab cooked chicken, steaks, burgers, whatever you want at work and whenever you go out. You still have most meals with a free choice, why ruin the ones you have at hand with bad protein choices when a pescatarian diet gives you so many options?
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Good morning folks!

I am a meat eater, I love steaks and cheeseburgers and hot dogs, etc. etc....so my now wife decided she wanted to go "pescatarian" a few years ago and I agreed to not cook or keep meat in the house, however, I do order meat dishes when we go out to eat....sorry had to give a bit of background before my question.

I have finally convinced her to let me have some meat in the house, but it has been in the form of high sodium lunch meat. It is great for low cal, low fat and high protein, but the sodium levels are outstanding....like 670mg per 2oz. serving! So, I eat 2oz. for lunch and 2oz. for snack later and that puts me well on my way to the 2300mg goal for the day.

Does anyone have any advice for a person in my situation, where I have limited meat choices to keep in my home...to take to work and eat?

Thanks!

I have not read all of the responses, so forgive me if I overlap someone else, but my advice is buy and stock what you want, and ask her to ignore it. Why should you suffer and do without something you want all of the time. You don't have to keep it all the time, or flaunt it in front of her....but she should have a little willpower as well and be able to resist. You are being
    shat-upon here.....there has to be middle ground somewhere.
  • vancil01
    Options
    :wink: First off I love the tat!! :wink:

Secondly you should be able to have meat in the house & eat it if you please; it wasn't your decision to go meatless but your wifes. In so saying Boarshead is low sodium plus if I remember correctly preservative free & Sara Lee also has low sodium. Good luck to you! :happy:

Thanks :) the tat is a tribute to my father who passed away 6 years ago, he loved baseball (as do I) and he used to write No Fear under the brim of my hat when I was little.

I think just finding some better, low-sodium lunch meats will be the way to go for now. I will eventually convince her to just buy me my own pan for meat cooking then get some frozen chicken breast.
  • vancil01
    Options
    uh, find some lower sodium lunch meat and drink a ton of water.... nuff said!

Well, yeah that is what I am shooting for. Just seeing what others do...thanks...
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Buy second fridge.
    Put in basement.
    Buy cow from local farm.
    Put in basement fridge.
    geeze.
    dont have a cow man.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Buy second fridge.
    Put in basement.
    Buy cow from local farm.
    Put in basement fridge.

Why should he put his fridge in the basement? Why can't he keep his heifer in a little fridge next to the bed?