Green Tea

Options
Who Drinks Tea and do you think it aids weight loss???????

Replies

• harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I myself haven't seen any peer based studies as to wether or not it helps with weight loss. It does have lots of antioxidents and polyphenols. There have been lots of studies for it's health benefits. here are some reported results from one of the larger long term studies.

Green Tea Benefits

In Women
    23% lower risk of dying from any cause
    31% lower risk of dying from CVD
    62% lower risk of dying from stroke

In Men
    12% lower risk of dying from any cause
    22% lower risk of dying from CVD
    42% lower risk of dying from stroke

Also, I do know that along with caffeine, green tea seems to be one of the primary ingredients in alot of thermogenic formulas. In my opinion, nothing works for everybody but you don't know till you try. It's cheap and can't hurt you. If anything the placebo effect could be a powerful aspect. Just my 2 cents. :o)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I believe the studies that show weight loss is from drinking 5+ cups a day - pretty exhausting do constantly be making it, tastes pretty bad - at last that often and really uncomfortable in the heat. Try having a cup if you are in-between meals or cals are really tight on a certain day. Best used as an appetite suppressant if plain water just doesn’t do it for you.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't think it adds to my weight loss efforts, but I can say that drinking tea (in place of soda) has cut down on some of the tummy pooch :smile:
  • jetlbomb
    jetlbomb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like green tea. There are some blends, like Tea Pigs' Yerba Mate, that is supposed to be amazing for weight loss.

I drink it because I like it without milk, unlike normal tea. So it's zero calories!

I think the other health benefits and the fact that a lot of people seem to think it aids weight loss is a good enough reason to give it a go!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Tea does not add weight. Just don't go dumping a ton of sugar in it :happy:
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    my multi vitamin has green tea extract. im a coffee black kinda dude.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm testing this too, and agree with above poster that hot tea can be not so great on a hot day. Here's what I'm doing:

I grab 5 or 6 bottles of water (16oz)
    Pour off an inch of water
    Put in two Tazo Organic Thrive Green tea bags
    Put in a few drops of peppermint stevia
    Shake up and put bottles in the window for the afternoon
    At night, put bottles in the fridge

Next day you're ready to rumble with all your iced peppermint green tea cold and ready.

:drinker:
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love green tea....I know it's a aquired taste, but you can get different flavors to experiment with. They have raspberry green tea, mango, blueberry...etc. There's also several green tea smoothies you can look up online. I am getting into the habit of drinking it several times during the day, and am finding that it is kinda curbing my appetite!! It doesn't hurt for you to give it a try!! =]
  • thin150
    thin150 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I get those little packes that you put in your water bottle i think its iced green tea lemon or mango. They are delicious they dont even need sugar and have 0 calories. I don't think the green tea really does a difference but it works as a drink replacement. I no longer drink sodas :) Im saving myself a lot of calories!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a cup of hot green tea every morning since allergy season started. I always wake up with head congestion, and the heat and steam from the tea helps clear things out. It also soothes my scratchy throat. I also add a little fresh lemon. :smile:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I drink it all the time. I don't know if it really helps with weight loss, but to me its better than drinking soda. Then again, I haven't had soda since I was 12.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    DW and I drink Green teas and Herbal tisanes for the majority of our "non-water" drinks... Actually, for me it is all of my non-water drinks now that I think of it...

Speaking of Green Tea, this looks like fun:
    super_funny_hilarious_pictures_of_hagreen-tea-spa.jpg

EDIT:

Grr... the photo doesn't seem to want to post... Here is link: http://2pep.com/funny pics/extreme funny stuff pictures/08/super_funny_hilarious_pictures_of_hagreen-tea-spa.jpg
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking green tea for 3-4 years now, and it didn't have a big impact on my weight loss at all, but I felt better all around. I use the Matcha powder, which the tea leaves ground up into a fine powder. You add the powder to your water, either hot or cold, and enjoy. it's easy to carry around in your purse,doesn't require steeping time and is easy to add to smoothies, yogurt, anything when you want that little extra.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    When I drink about 3-4 cups of GOOD green tea I do notice that I lose more. Not dramatically more. It could be that drinking it keeps me busy and out of the chips. 1-2 cups is not enough - I let it steep for about 10 minutes. It must be warm not cold - the bottled stuff has been on the shelf too long and has lower levels of the good stuff.

I like to drink something hot so after I've exceeded my coffee limit I switch to tea.
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love tea and I drink at least 5 cups a day. I usually have green tea in the morning and black tea after noontime (for the higher caffeine). I found that replacing soft drinks with tea DEFINITELY helped trim my wasteline only because there isn't any sugar, calories, or nasty manufactured stuff in tea. It's just leaves. I drink my tea without milk or sugar, so it's a calorie/sugar/sodium-free drink. =)

I've noticed that green tea made my nails stronger. They still break from time to time, but at least I can grow them out past my fingertips, haha!

Also, I've found that different brands of green tea have different tastes. I'm not into the ones that taste like I'm chewing grass. My recommendations? Try Nature's Place Organic Green Tea (I don't care that it's organic, just that it tastes good, haha) or Salada Green Tea. Both don't have as much of a woody taste and they're rather affordable.

Enjoy your tea! =D :drinker:
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I drink it almost everyday and I think it helps. If nothing else it gives you a sense of fullness that stops you from consuming something less healthy. I drink mine at bedtime to curb that after dinner hunger that sometimes strikes!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I put three bags of decaff and three regular in the bottom of my coffee maker and run the water through it to make a pot that I drink all afternoon. I like the taste of green tea, and maybe because I'm Irish, drinking hot tea in hot weather doesn't bother me. I do also make iced green tea. I take mine with a touch of stevia.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

A side thing about green tea, I use it on my skin, brew then apply for 15 minutes on problem areas of your skin, fresh is best.
  • helloliss
    helloliss Posts: 43
    Options
    I use to hate green tea until I read the benefits . Now I drink green tea everyday at least 2 times a day :) Usually in the morning and noon :)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm testing this too, and agree with above poster that hot tea can be not so great on a hot day. Here's what I'm doing:

I grab 5 or 6 bottles of water (16oz)
    Pour off an inch of water
    Put in two Tazo Organic Thrive Green tea bags
    Put in a few drops of peppermint stevia
    Shake up and put bottles in the window for the afternoon
    At night, put bottles in the fridge

Next day you're ready to rumble with all your iced peppermint green tea cold and ready.

:drinker:

That's a really good idea...will have to give it a try.