Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOvtKtoeMRV6LLhkDIY60D5s1uELH3L5iScGPv5bATug8QlpDH
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I think those saying cardio is bad and strength is the way to go are the people who have already reached or close to reaching their goals. You don't tell a 400 pound person that walking is a waste of time and that they should go lift weights instead. It's good for your heart also. We should be happy that people are moving!

I think there has to be a balance. Not one is better than the other.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I think you're reaching in your conclusions trying to stir up drama.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've seen this too! I think it's crazy! But there seems to be an opposite opinion on here for everyone. I think if you start a post saying that the sky is blue you'll get replies with links telling you that it is not. I'm not lifting weights. I don't have time or money too. But I'm fat and can work cardio into taking care of my kiddos so that is what I'm going to do. Cardio is good. It burns calories. It builds muscles, and if it doesn't can someone tell me how if I push my cardio harder my muscles are sore, they have got to be doing something. I can lift heavier things around the house than I could 3 months ago. It may be slower than weight lifting but this whole process is going to take awhile anyway.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would like to think with the obesity epidemic in this country that someone trying to better themselves with Weight Watchers or "just cardio" wouldn't be ridiculed for attempting to better themselves by being referred to as "skinny fat" or whatever other terms the fitness elitists want to throw around.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOvtKtoeMRV6LLhkDIY60D5s1uELH3L5iScGPv5bATug8QlpDH

yes! lol I suppose if you bulk up you wouldn't need to run from zombies since you could just punch a hole in their heads. lol
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    FYI - Cardio doesn't make you lose weight. Calorie deficits do. Cardio helps create deficits.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    The negativity around cardio is not about whether cardio is good or bad...it's usually framed with respect to weight loss. To lose weight, all you need to do is eat less than you consume. This can be done with our without cardio. All cardio does is increase the amount of calories you burn on a daily basis allowing you to eat more and still maintain your 500 calorie deficit. Weight training is advised so that when you are creating this deficit you reduce the amount of LBM that you will undoubtedly lose from dieting. Again, it's not negativity, it's the misinformation regarding the role of cardio in weight loss.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is when you are thin, but have a high body fat percentage. I've never really figured out how cardio causes this since.. well, cardio burns fat. But.. alright then.
    ^^^^^ This

Running does not cause skinny fat unless someone has a moronic diet at the same time.

I run 70+ miles a week and have a bodyfat % of less than 10% with LBM right around 160 lbs. I got there by lifting 0 weights in the past 15 years.

I also don't run to lose weight but I lose weight to run more and win races.
  • jocelyn_martin
    Options
    I love doing cardio and absolutely hate weights. I think though that the key is balance. Right now I tend to do more cardio than weights, but I'm planning to slowly start working weights back into my exercise. Really, you need both.
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    THe people that think it's "bad" are probably too lazy to do enough of it..........

I totally agree with this.

I find that the majority of lazy people I try to work out with just want to sit and lift weights or lay down and lift weights. God forbid them to work out more than one muscle group at a time.
    I always joke with people that if a bigger person tries to pick a fight with me that they will have to catch me first. LOL I'd rather be tonned and wiry than ripped with no endurance.
    Or if the Zombie apocalypse ever happens it will be the fast people who will survive. :wink:
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I think both are important. How much you do of one or the other is dependent on your goals. I enjoy lifting heavy. So, I wouldn't do as much cardio since it would potentially affect my lifting routine. Some people enjoy cardio and lifting heavy would potentially make them sore and would affect their cardio routine.

There have also been a lot of posts where people hate to exercise. So, any routine that you love and will stick with is going to be the best for you.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I do both cardio and heavy lifting but I LOVE cardio the best ;-)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think you're reaching in your conclusions trying to stir up drama.

:noway: Uuhmmm...I was asking a question....not stirring up drama....Or do I misunderstand and you are not talking to me but rather to the voices in your head?
    Maybe go for a run, it helps me tremendously when I have a serious case of PMS grumpies....:flowerforyou:
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm a cardio person it's what I like, so it's what I do. I'm not into strenght training if I'm up for it maybe once every two weeks I might do some push-ups or planks, just general use your own body resistence kind of thing but that's it.
    I'm strong by nature so the way I look and the strength I have comes only from cardio.

I believe we are all different and we all need to do what works best for each of us.

HIGH Five to everyone for doing something good for your body whatever it maybe.
    :flowerforyou:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    THe people that think it's "bad" are probably too lazy to do enough of it..........

I totally agree with this.

I find that the majority of lazy people I try to work out with just want to sit and lift weights or lay down and lift weights. God forbid them to work out more than one muscle group at a time.
    I always joke with people that if a bigger person tries to pick a fight with me that they will have to catch me first. LOL I'd rather be tonned and wiry than ripped with no endurance.
    Or if the Zombie apocalypse ever happens it will be the fast people who will survive. :wink:

Sigh. You're missing the point entirely. Cardio and Strength Training achieve different things. As to not working out more than one muscle group at a time...lol. Heard of a compound lift? Do some clean, jerk and presses in a set, with good form, as many times as you can and see if you're not breathing heavy by the end, to boot.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    There is an awful lot of misinformation and snap judgement going on in here... My only contribution is this:

Cardio is good for endurance. Endurance is required for good sex.

Muscles are sexy. Strength training is required for strong muscles.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

Sorry, I was busy doing some curls. :bigsmile:
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have recently cut back on cardio a bit to focus more on strength training now that i'm near the end of my weightloss - but I definitely wouldn't use it as a swear word because I know that i've only come this far doing TONS of it :smile:

(however, I probably have viewed the word as a swear word in the past...for example: I have to do that freakin' car*** session later! UGH!) :laugh: