Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options

Replies

• BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    THe people that think it's "bad" are probably too lazy to do enough of it..........

I totally agree with this.

I find that the majority of lazy people I try to work out with just want to sit and lift weights or lay down and lift weights. God forbid them to work out more than one muscle group at a time.
    I always joke with people that if a bigger person tries to pick a fight with me that they will have to catch me first. LOL I'd rather be tonned and wiry than ripped with no endurance.
    Or if the Zombie apocalypse ever happens it will be the fast people who will survive. :wink:

Sigh. You're missing the point entirely. Cardio and Strength Training achieve different things. As to not working out more than one muscle group at a time...lol. Heard of a compound lift? Do some clean, jerk and presses in a set, with good form, as many times as you can and see if you're not breathing heavy by the end, to boot.

I do compund exercises every day read my profile its call functional fitness but I was explaining that the people I deal with that hate cardio seem to only want to target one specific muscle group at a time making them appear to be a lazy exerciser doing a half *kitten* job not fully commiting. I didnt say the body builders in general are like this only people I interact with that hate cardio. Read before you bash! It was a personal experience comment not an observation.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Indeed. For many of the friends on my friends list, cardio is their staple exercise and that's absolutely fine. At the end of the day, we're all here to be healthier and you shouldn't try to dissuade people from bettering themselves because of how they're choosing to exercise. I will always recommend to people to take up strength training, but I'll never tell them to stop doing cardio - some people need to cut down, sure, like people eating VLCDs and murdering 600-800 calorie burns 6 days a week, but that's a very rare instance when cardio really is bad for you.

cversey - nice response!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You need a good combo of weight training, cardio, and diet to make real changes and keep them.

Word!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Cardio is great for your health, and everyone should be getting a great cardio workout in about 3x a week IN MY NON PROFESSIONAL OPINION...

but I think strength training is just as important and should be done just as often...

I don't think it's good for people to kill themselves with cardio 6 or 7 days a week and not balance it out by lifting heavy weights to maintain muscle.
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I definitely think cardio is a vital part of being healthy! It's all about a good balance. I do as many Cardio days as Lifting and feel great.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel you need a good combination of both.
    Cardio, Strength Training and Flexibility are all equally as important.

I think Cardio has become a 'bad word' because ppl are frustrated of listening to those who think they should only focus on cardio to burn fat...
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Late night spousal-cardio is critical to a healthy lifestyle ... and marriage :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I never pay much attention to the "crowd", myself. I do what works for me and if it stops working, then I change it up. End of story.

You, my dear, are my kind of woman! Or should I say person, but since you're a woman ...

I don't know why everyone here is so dead set on convincing people their way is THE ONLY WAY. I get when someone is doing something harmful and maybe even stupid (hello, spending tons of money on "cleanses"), but if what I'm doing is working for me, I'm going to do it. And I recognize that it may work for others and it may not.

When I give advice, I shape it as, "This is what worked/works for me."

Is this all really worth the arguing?
  • roycelynberry
    roycelynberry Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do both 4 to 6 days a week
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I cardio daily. But I still have a lot of fat to lose. People who are already a healthy weight who do not want to eat more food, I advise them to lay off the cardio and focus on strength training. But if they are okay with eating more calories, they can do all the cardio that they want.
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps strengthen your most important muscle, your heart. Strong heart dying at 90 > 250 lbs bench press dying at 60.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Omg....this post is soooo making me laugh!! :laugh:

I do Cardio and Strength train! Benefits from both are great...the Strength training portion helps the ability of running for longer periods at a time...

People need to really get their information....eeks!!
  • 5Goodyz
    5Goodyz Posts: 10
    Options
    Not seeing the complaints about cardio either. My point is this - balance is key. HOwever, if you only want to do cardio that's fine - strength training will benefit your cardio as well. IF you are only doing strength training you may want to consider cardio to help move blood through the body to the muscles you are working.
    WHat I am not seeing - the heart is a muscle - it needs to be worked out also. Cardio is awesome for this. As for different zones - unless you you a heart rate monitor (HRM) you are not in a real zone. You may be working but its a generic zone. Get a decent HRM, figure out your different heart rates (resting, max, recovery, etc) and train with that.
    I found out recently that I have a hole between the two vetricles in my heart. As I was leaving the cardiologists office (with great news that I am fine) he told me that he would expect to see my heart in the body of an Olympic athlete.
    Point is - train your heart also! Go do something!
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I prefer a calorie deficit and weight training to acheive my goals. I want the body of adonis not the heart of a marathon runner. Also my heart is plenty strong from lifting weights.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Cardio leads to "skinny fat" and some people seem to have issues with the whole "skinny fat" look and think that every muscle should be worked hard and defined.. Yea sure I do strength training but I do not wanna get "ripped"

I'd like to have a "skinny fat" body.. But if people hear me say that I get stick for it

Thank you. I am what people on MFP call "skinny fat", and you know what? So what? I do my light cardio and light lifting (I do what fits my busy lifestyle and exercises tastes), and no one will ever mistake me for a buff girl. So what?! I'm happy in my skin...

We're not on here to please anybody but ourselves...

12029845.png
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for MOOD.

Anyone who struggles with depression and anxiety can tell you a good bout of cardio on a regular basis will do more for your emotional health than weightlifting. (Or than many prescription medications for that matter!!!!!)

Nothing beats a good old fashioned cardio high.

I will be doing strength training to help with sustainable weight loss and body composition though. I think its the general lack of knowledge about how helpful weights can be in building a great body that has lead to the current emphasis on strength training.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Late night spousal-cardio is critical to a healthy lifestyle ... and marriage :)

:smokin:
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I prefer a calorie deficit and weight training to acheive my goals. I want the body of adonis not the heart of a marathon runner. Also my heart is plenty strong from lifting weights.

Ditto!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard to much of the bashing of cardio. But i have heard the importance of strength training. I personally try to get into 3-4 cardio days and then 2 days of weights. i like body pump classes which focuses on one muscle group, with low weights and high reps... I feel like jello at the end :)

I think it is important to be well rounded not just in food but also in exercise... less chance of burning out ;)
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    i know right, i feel like im doing something wrong....i'm EXERCISING.....i dont do a LOT of strength training (maybe 40 min a week) but i do do it when i feel like it. i just really much prefer a high energy workout for stress relief