slow cooker/chicken breast

Options
tinana_RN
tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
Anyone know of some good tasty recipes that are relatively low-cal and low-carb?

Replies

• tinana_RN
    Options
    Or really any recipes for chicken breast, something that I haven't already tried.. lol
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I would be SO interested in this, I love my crock pot and the kids love chicken...so anything really that combines the two would be awesome.
  • missy204
    missy204 Posts: 30
    Options
    I make what I call a healthier vs. of a rotisserie chicken like you would buy at the store. Just take a 4-5lb bird you will need about a 6 ct. crock pot. Clean the chicken off, cut the neck etc. Mix your favorite seasonings in a bowl before hand, then rub it all over the chicken. Tuck the chicken in completely in the bottom of the crock, cook on high for 4-5 hrs or on low for 8. I try not to do the whole 8hrs on low, found the chicken was way to tender. So I think its best at 4/5hrs on high. The recipe calls for taking the skin off. I tried this the other night and the chicken was way dry. Also, make sure after about 1hr you drain the juices out that also helped to not make it to tender. Hope this helped!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fishes305
    fishes305 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can also put chickan and salsa in a crock pot. Let it cook on low all day. It will be nice and tender and perfect for any side you choose or stick it in a tortilla with veggies. Yum!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    make pretzel chicken. its really easy crush pretzels up, dipped chicken in egg whites, dip chicken in pretzels. bake at 350 for around 15 minutes (depends on size and thickness of chicken. i cut mine into strips for easy dipping for kids). serve with honey mustard and veggies. its yummy and super fast.
  • OccupyFitness
    Options
    Put 4-6 frozen chicken breasts in crockpot. Add jar of salsa, a can of drained black beans, and a bag of frozen corn. Put on low for 6 hours. Take a brick of cream cheese and put on top, turn the crock pot off, let sit for 20 minutes. Mix all together (chicken will fall apart and it all gets creamy).

Serve with tortillas, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, etc...

Also you could add frozen Mexican vegetables medly (or just more vegetables as you have them).

Not sure what the calories are - it would depend on your cream cheese selection, etc...
  • aencinas6
    Options
    How much liquid do you cover the chicken with?
  • OccupyFitness
    Options
    If you are referring to my recipe, you don't need to add any liquid other then the ingredients in the recipe. It ends up pretty moist.
  • kathleennnnn
    Options
    One of my fav recipes!:

Pineapple Black Bean Chicken

5 or 6 chicken breasts
    1 jar of salsa
    1-2 cups fresh of canned diced pineapple
    1 can of black beans-drained

I usually put it in the crock pot in the morning on low and then shred it later

So good with just lettuce or on corn tortillas!
  • tinana_RN
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Toss a few chicken breasts in the cooker. Add a packet of taco seasoning. Cook. Shred.
    I like to use this on taco salad, on a tostada with black beans and l.f. cheese, or on a baked potato.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwich

1 1/4 pound bonesless, skinless chicken breast
    1 c. bbq sauce
    1/2 medium onion, diced
    1/2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper

Throw it all in the slow cooker, low 6-8 hours OR high 4-5 (depends on the size of the breasts, I use chicken tenders and it doesnt take more than 4). About 30 minutes before serving reach into the crock pot with 2 forks and shred up the chicken.

I think its around 100-120 cal for a 1/4 c. serving of shredded chicken... I serve it on a hamburger bun.
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, jar of salsa, pack of taco seasoning. Best chicken tacos EVER!
  • ckp0818
    ckp0818 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is good one
    I usually add some mushrooms and onion to this too

Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff

Ingredients

5 Chicken Breast (Cut into Pieces)
    16 oz. Fat Free Sour Cream
    1 Packet Dry Onion Soup Mix
    1--10.5 oz can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
    1--12 oz Package Whole Wheat Egg Noodles

Directions
    Makes 6 - 1-1/2 cup servings:
    Cut chicken in pieces (a little bigger than bite size)
    Combine dry soup mix, sour cream and cream of chicken soup, mix well
    Pour over chicken in Crock Pot.
    Stir to coat chicken.
    Cook on High for 3 hours, then turn to low for the last 2 hours.

If want to cook it while at work, cook on low all day.

Cook noodles according to directions, drain.

Serve with Chicken Stroganoff over noodles, along with a Salad and you have got a meal for under 425 Calories.

Number of Servings: 6

Calories: 339.8
    Total Fat: 1.2 g
    Cholesterol: 36.8 mg
    Sodium: 270.1 mg
    Total Carbs: 2.4 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
    Protein: 14.4 g
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...These all sound delicious!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sasab904
    sasab904 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    2-3 Chicken breasts
    1 can mexican beans
    1 can black beans
    1 can of tomatoes
    1 packet of taco seasoning (or whatever mexican spices you like)
    1 can of black olives chopped
    1 can green chilies

put them in the crockpot in that order, let cook for 8 hours
    Pull apart chicken and mix mixture before serving

Serve over rice, in a tortilla or with chips.
    Top with fat free sour cream, reduced fat cheese and some avocado.

So yummy!

Found this recipe on SparkPeople many years ago. Subsitute different kinds of beans, whatever we feel like. Make a ton for lunch or dinner for the whole week.