weight lifting???

Options
Are you supposed to be at your Goal weight before you start strength training or should you start whenever... I have about 20 more pounds to loose!??

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Start now. Retain muscle mass. Build strength. Be awesome.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Start now. Retain muscle mass. Build strength. Be awesome.
    :smooched:
  • annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have about 80 to lose and I am starting now =) From what I've read it helps with fat loss as well as body composition - no reason to put off something that is part of what you're trying to achieve!
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Doesn't it make the scale go up, if I build muscle?
  • tobiwood1977
    Options
    when you build lean muscle mass you are building an engine for your "car" to help burn calories! DO it :)
  • mackdaddymisa
    Options
    what i suggest u do is start with light weights, or even very light depending on how u feel
    workin out w/ weights (adding to your own body weight works your muscles even more)
    if you focus on light weights what you'd be doing is toning your muscles, shaping them up and increasing stamina, without adding lots of volume, and of course heavy weights add mass, and power

so yes start with light/very light weights and help your body tone up and shape up as u wish it to be as u lose the weight you're aiming at

as for the scale...since you're dieting and watching what u eat and also doing cardio...you'd be burning the fat...and in certain areas building muscle instead...light muscles weigh less than fat

gd luck w/ it all ^^
  • ramon357
    ramon357 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you all. I was waiting to get to my goal (200) before I start weight training, but Im going to start soon instead.
  • Asavitzk
    Asavitzk Posts: 66
    Options
    Start now. Muscle burns calories so the more you have the more food you'll burn off.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx
  • Mera_Mera
    Mera_Mera Posts: 153
    Options
    Start now. I would go all technical here, describing why you should lift weights, but I have a dental appointment in 30 minutes. Have a great day!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Yes. But its only temporary, and no one will notice anyway. They'll be all like "Who's that hot girl over there doing deadlifts? She's so awesome, I want to be like her."
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yep! The sooner the better!! Just be aware you may show a gain or no loss for a while to start with! That is becasue of water retention and muscle forming! Now go get it!! :)
  • Bubbles_09
    Options
    :)) yay I'm going to start today!!!
  • hikerjen
    hikerjen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lift now - muscle burns calories more efficiently. Make sure that you're using weights that aren't too light or too heavy. If you do 10 reps, 8,9, and 10 should be a strain, but not too much. Don't be afraid of building muscles - ladies can't get really big due to testosterone levels. Good luck!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You will lose fat faster if you strength train - plus you get the added bonus of feeling strong & powerful! Make sure you eat enough protein and focus on using good form. I always feel like a bad *kitten* after a good lifting session!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    its a known fact that you burn more fat resistance training.. but it would be more beneficial to do cardio then strength train if your looking to lose fat and trim down.. if your looking to build muscle or retain the muscle you have then you would strength train first then do cardio..
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Start now!!! Strong is sexy!!! Women do not put on as much muscle as the boys because guys produce much more testosterone. So lift as heavy as you can, with proper form of course :)
  • Bubbles_09
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Go at it.
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    but for every pound of muscle you burn extra 50 cals a day.win win
  • bdhoward87
    bdhoward87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

The thing people tend to disregard is that you want your goal to lose fat not weight. Someone that adds 20lbs of muscle is going to look better than someone that adds 20lbs of fat.

Also to add to that, the myth "muscle weighs more than fat" is a fallacy. That's like saying one pound of feathers weighs less than one pound of bricks. There will be more feathers obviously but the weights will be the same.