Blood work on Atkins (December and April)

Options
I had blood work done the day before I started Atkins. Blood work was taken on December 29, 2008 and again on April 24, 2009.

I have been eating saturated fats (butter and animal fats on meat), avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, small amounts of peanut oil................but NO transfats.

I also eat more veggies and fruits than I ever did before. I eat natural nut butters to include peanut butter, cashew butter, macadamia nut butter, almond butter.

I forgo the grains except for oats. I also eat an occasional sweet potato and the most processed food I have eaten is Dreams Field low carb pasta.

My doctor is pleased with my progress and he is the one that told me Atkins is the way to go anyway. I was already familar with Atkins as I have done it before, but this year something clicked with me to make it a life long thing, instead of the vanity reasons of losing weight to look hawt!! :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, sorry for rambling on.................
December 29, 2008 Blood work

Weight: 240.2 lbs
Total Cholesterol: 220 (100-199 normal ranges)
HDL: 59 (40-59 normal ranges)
VLDL: 28 (5-40 normal ranges)
LDL Cholesterol 149 (0-99 normal range)
Triglycerides: 62 (0 - 149 normal range)

A1C was 5.8%
April 24, 2009 Blood work

Weight: 221.4 lbs
Total Cholesterol: 187 (100-199 normal ranges)
HDL: 51 (40-59 normal ranges)
VLDL: 21 (5-40 normal ranges)
LDL Cholesterol 115 (0-99 normal range)
Triglycerides: 102 (0 - 149 normal range)

A1C was 5.5%

My blood work has gotten better for both cholesterol and my sugar. The only thing I need to work on is getting my triglycerides down as that is more detrimental to my health than my cholesterol.

This is for the 4 months I have been on Atkins. It should be even better in July 2009 when I get it checked again.

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I had blood work done the day before I started Atkins. Blood work was taken on December 29, 2008 and again on April 24, 2009.

I have been eating saturated fats (butter and animal fats on meat), avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, small amounts of peanut oil................but NO transfats.

I also eat more veggies and fruits than I ever did before. I eat natural nut butters to include peanut butter, cashew butter, macadamia nut butter, almond butter.

I forgo the grains except for oats. I also eat an occasional sweet potato and the most processed food I have eaten is Dreams Field low carb pasta.

My doctor is pleased with my progress and he is the one that told me Atkins is the way to go anyway. I was already familar with Atkins as I have done it before, but this year something clicked with me to make it a life long thing, instead of the vanity reasons of losing weight to look hawt!! :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, sorry for rambling on.................

A1C was 5.8%

A1C was 5.5%

My blood work has gotten better for both cholesterol and my sugar. The only thing I need to work on is getting my triglycerides down as that is more detrimental to my health than my cholesterol.

This is for the 4 months I have been on Atkins. It should be even better in July 2009 when I get it checked again.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Great going Lioness. The proof is there. I have another month to go back to my Diabectic docter. She don't know I am on this. Good job.

Calie
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Great going Lioness. The proof is there. I have another month to go back to my Diabectic docter. She don't know I am on this. Good job.

Calie

Thanks. Yes, the proof is there for the low carb diet.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Bumpity, bump, bump bump
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I am bumping up this topic as people think Atkins is so unhealthy............

I am willing to post my menus up against anyone on this site to compare...............

My menus will only compare to those folks on here that eat clean and pretty natural and organic........
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    I am also on atkins. I have found that even TRYING to not worry about calories and fat. . . my low carb meals have put me below the calorie amount this site recommends that i eat. It's hard to wrap my brain around the idea that i am eating plenty of food, and foods i wouldn't have associated with being too healthy, yet i eat far less calories than i used to.

mind you it has only been 4 days for me. . . but considering the snacks/staples i eat. . I don't see this getting any different as time goes on.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I am also on atkins. I have found that even TRYING to not worry about calories and fat. . . my low carb meals have put me below the calorie amount this site recommends that i eat. It's hard to wrap my brain around the idea that i am eating plenty of food, and foods i wouldn't have associated with being too healthy, yet i eat far less calories than i used to.

mind you it has only been 4 days for me. . . but considering the snacks/staples i eat. . I don't see this getting any different as time goes on.

It should change as you move up the carb ladder and start adding in different foods..........

Your fat and protein % will naturally decrease and your carb % will increase..........it is slow going and I like the structure of Atkins so you can see if you have any food allergies as you re-introduce foods back into your eating plan.

I am very happy about my bloodwork after 4 months of Atkins.
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Also, are you eating a lot of veggies???

You should be eating 15-20 grams of carbs coming from veggies from the Induction list each day. That is very healthy.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options

You should be eating 15-20 grams of carbs coming from veggies from the Induction list each day. That is very healthy.

yeah. that's the reason i can't make my calories this site recommends. even 10-12 grams from veggies = VERY low calories

one day i hit my carb limit but was barely over 600 calories. So i've been tryin to find a happy balance between veggie carbs and other carbs. I'm not a big cheese eater, but it seems to be one of the best high calorie/low carb foods out there.

either way, I have been combining it with daily exercise and tons of water. So far 10 lbs. I can't complain.
  • LeanLioness
    Options

yeah. that's the reason i can't make my calories this site recommends. even 10-12 grams from veggies = VERY low calories

one day i hit my carb limit but was barely over 600 calories. So i've been tryin to find a happy balance between veggie carbs and other carbs. I'm not a big cheese eater, but it seems to be one of the best high calorie/low carb foods out there.

either way, I have been combining it with daily exercise and tons of water. So far 10 lbs. I can't complain.

Fantastic!!!

You have an excellent start.

That is one mis-conception from Atkins that people don't understand..........yes, you can eat the fat off the meat and with those veggies our calories are lower than most people that try to practice everything in moderation!!

Why don't you come join our group in the Motivation and Support Area...........

here is the link........

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55179-carb-conscious-peeps-june-2009?page=1#posts-634892
  • ivan_franceschi
    Options
    So you really don't eat much carbs. I don't want to offend you but I am curious about your diet and how it might compare to mine. I eat a balanced diet of fats, proteins and carbs. I probably eat more than most with total calories per day of about 1500-1700. I exercise at least four times a week with walking and jogging in 75 minute intervals. I have lost 7 lbs so far. I have just heard so many bad things about eliminating or reducing carbs from the diet. For someone who has never tried it and is curious, should I talk to my doctor first?
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    So you really don't eat much carbs. I don't want to offend you but I am curious about your diet and how it might compare to mine. I eat a balanced diet of fats, proteins and carbs. I probably eat more than most with total calories per day of about 1500-1700. I exercise at least four times a week with walking and jogging in 75 minute intervals. I have lost 7 lbs so far. I have just heard so many bad things about eliminating or reducing carbs from the diet. For someone who has never tried it and is curious, should I talk to my doctor first?

No, I do eat carbs..................but I mostly eat a lot of fat and protein.

I get my carb sources from the following:
    :heart: Nuts
    :heart: Seeds
    :heart: Vegetables
    :heart: Fruit
    :heart: Beans
    :heart: Only grains I eat on occasion are brown rice and steel cut oats (this is like 1 or 2 times a month)
    :heart: Occasional Baked Sweet Potato
  • michellesthings
    Options
    LeanLioness,

have you done your bloodwork for July yet? Really curious to see where you are at now..

Michelle
  • macfizzy
    Options
    so I read that you have a copy of burn the fat....I would love to check it out. Did you try it? thanks...lizz

lizz.welchcarre@comcast.net
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Well, one reason people think Atkins is so unhealthy is that, when it had that early 2000's boom, a lot of people DID eat very unhealthily. Yeah, everyone enjoyed their bacon and eggs and butter...but then people started missing their ice cream and bread, so viola, "low carb" replacements, loaded with trans fat and artificial nasties.

And I remember in the early 00's, watching the video when my mom went on it (she was an unhealthy Atkinser). I do not think Atkins emphasized vegetables NEARLY enough. Less "woohoo, CHEEEESE!!!" and more "FIBER! BROCCOLI! ASPARAGUS!" But that was a while ago.

LeanLioness, you truly understand the proper low carb lifestyle! I run better on 40-30-30, but it's so silly to think that everyone fits into the same mold. And like you, I get most of my carbs from veggies, fruits, nuts, and beans. I find I feel way better only having a serving or two of grains a day.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Well, one reason people think Atkins is so unhealthy is that, when it had that early 2000's boom, a lot of people DID eat very unhealthily. Yeah, everyone enjoyed their bacon and eggs and butter...but then people started missing their ice cream and bread, so viola, "low carb" replacements, loaded with trans fat and artificial nasties.

And I remember in the early 00's, watching the video when my mom went on it (she was an unhealthy Atkinser). I do not think Atkins emphasized vegetables NEARLY enough. Less "woohoo, CHEEEESE!!!" and more "FIBER! BROCCOLI! ASPARAGUS!" But that was a while ago.

LeanLioness, you truly understand the proper low carb lifestyle! I run better on 40-30-30, but it's so silly to think that everyone fits into the same mold. And like you, I get most of my carbs from veggies, fruits, nuts, and beans. I find I feel way better only having a serving or two of grains a day.

I totally agree. Most people hear atkins and they think you eat no carbs. They do not realize that you can get a lot of carbs from fruits, vegetables and nuts.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I tried to talk to a diabetic about atkins of course they had a misunderstanding of what it was thinking all you eat is bacon. But the person talked to a dietician and the dietician said that you need whole grains and that you can't cut out any food group. I wanted to yell as say you're a diabetic 30lbs overweight considering gastric bypass how could cutting out whole grains be unsafer than let someone slit you open and cut your stomach in half.

No harm meant to those who have gastric bypass:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I tried to talk to a diabetic about atkins of course they had a misunderstanding of what it was thinking all you eat is bacon. But the person talked to a dietician and the dietician said that you need whole grains and that you can't cut out any food group. I wanted to yell as say you're a diabetic 30lbs overweight considering gastric bypass how could cutting out whole grains be unsafer than let someone slit you open and cut your stomach in half.

No harm meant to those who have gastric bypass:flowerforyou:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I like totally agree!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    LeanLioness,

have you done your bloodwork for July yet? Really curious to see where you are at now..

Michelle

Yes, I just got it done again on my birthday, July 24th.

Here is the comparison, notice that I have started adding fruits in and I have went a little overboard and my triglycerides are a little higher than need be. Dr told me to cut back on fruits and replace with veggies, so that is what I am working on for next quarter. Bloodwork drawn again in October.

A1C was 5.8%

A1C was 5.5%
    July 24, 2009 Blood work

Weight: 201.4 lbs
    Total Cholesterol: 172 (100-199 normal ranges)
    HDL: 62 (40-59 normal ranges)
    VLDL: 18 (5-40 normal ranges)
    LDL Cholesterol 92 (0-99 normal range)
    Triglycerides: 117 (0 - 149 normal range)

A1C was 5.8%
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Lookin' good!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: