The Paleo Diet (No Gluten) Vs. Clean Eating (whole grains)

Options
I understand everyone on MFP has different ideas as to what is a successful and healthy diet (Lifestyle change) to follow. I've been eating clean for some time now and I just started reading Robb Wolf "The Paleo Diet" and I'm finding out that everything I was thought was healthy is actually incredibly bad for us. This includes our morning oatmeal, multi-grains, whole wheat, Rye, bread, rice, ect. You get the idea.

According to the Paleo Diet, all grains can cause auto immune disease, that can attack and destroy the body. I originally thought some people were allergic to gluten, but as I read on, it's said that most people can be affected by gluten which can lead to poor digestion at best but the the list goes on as to how destructive gluten can be to the body.

I would like to know which diet you prefer and why? Are you an advocate of the Paleo Diet? Tell me what you like and don't like to the diet. Are you a clean eater and incorporated whole grains? How has this worked for you?

Thanks for you feed back!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I understand everyone on MFP has different ideas as to what is a successful and healthy diet (Lifestyle change) to follow. I've been eating clean for some time now and I just started reading Robb Wolf "The Paleo Diet" and I'm finding out that everything I was thought was healthy is actually incredibly bad for us. This includes our morning oatmeal, multi-grains, whole wheat, Rye, bread, rice, ect. You get the idea.

According to the Paleo Diet, all grains can cause auto immune disease, that can attack and destroy the body. I originally thought some people were allergic to gluten, but as I read on, it's said that most people can be affected by gluten which can lead to poor digestion at best but the the list goes on as to how destructive gluten can be to the body.

I would like to know which diet you prefer and why? Are you an advocate of the Paleo Diet? Tell me what you like and don't like to the diet. Are you a clean eater and incorporated whole grains? How has this worked for you?

Wolf and Cordain are trying to sell books, hence a bit of fear mongering on their part.

There is zero actual evidence supporting his claims that a Paleo type diet free or severely limiting grains, legumes and dairy is any better then a diet that includes said foods, if you were to hold calories and macros constant.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You really should take everything you read with a grain of salt. Anyone can write a book. Doesn't mean what is contained within the book is factual, backed up by science, or not. Sadly. I can find you a book that says you're not supposed to eat certain foods if you're a certain blood type.

Same thing...
  • dahlialia
    dahlialia Posts: 16
    Options
    There's no shortage of demonizing meat OR grains out there.

Personally I have been eating mostly paleo, in large part because I am insulin resistant with PCOS (poly cystic ovaries).

I'm sure many would be horrified that I am eating more meat and more fat to lower my weight and blood pressure, but it works for me.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Christ just eat something will ya's :P
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Christ just eat something will ya's :P

That was directed at Paleo/Clean Eating mindset, not you all here.
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I read up on Paelo at one stage and thought I might try it, I did for a few days and found it not too bad....I try to stay away from too many grainy type foods only because they do have an affect on me, can make me feel sluggish or bloated....having said that I don't think I would eliminate them altogether, I think every type of food has its purpose.....eating clean like you have been doing sounds great to me, anything as close to its natural state as possible can't be bad for you in my eyes! I also think everyone's body reacts differently to different food groups....I think its good to get to know your body as much as possible and see what your energy levels etc are like and as long as you feel good that's really all that matters..:o)
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My friend talks about the paleo diet, thanks for explaining what it is.
    I eliminated those food items a few yrs ago and tried introducing them back to my diet and was getting very ill, with headaches, congestion, stuffy noses/ sinus issues etc... even mental loss of focus. So, because of those reactions I don't eat those foods. I also am able to eat meat (like someone else said). So my diet is 90%+ raw and some fish sometimes with occassional chicken or turkey or buffalo. I've gradually gotten to this point within the past 10 yrs. I also gained the weight that I have been losing this past 3 yrs. I don't know what my body has been doing.

Everyone is different. People think that I'm extreme. I spent my younger years continuously sick even with a life threatening disease. Now that I've cleaned up my diet, to my own standard, I've been healthier than ever. Many people that tell me how wrong I am to get rid of certain things or keep my kids away from food additives and chemicals are the people that are having serious health issues at a young age, maybe do to the foods I'm trying to stay away from. It still makes me feel guilty for a while that they are saying I'm wrong for giving my kid an apple instead of a donut.

Grain including wheat contains more gluten than it did decades ago. I've been learning about this in some of my medical school classes. Also, I have a degree from the college of Agriculture at MSU. I was so surprised about what was going on with some farmers and the gov't to put more money in their pocket at the expense of our health. I was disappointed, we learned to be sales people...

We should be careful what we read and get a clear pic and work with a doc or nutritionists (I don't always agree with the doc, but at least they can help moniter us.)
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My friend talks about the paleo diet, thanks for explaining what it is.
    I eliminated those food items a few yrs ago and tried introducing them back to my diet and was getting very ill, with headaches, congestion, stuffy noses/ sinus issues etc... even mental loss of focus. So, because of those reactions I don't eat those foods. I also am able to eat meat (like someone else said). So my diet is 90%+ raw and some fish sometimes with occassional chicken or turkey or buffalo. I've gradually gotten to this point within the past 10 yrs. I also gained the weight that I have been losing this past 3 yrs. I don't know what my body has been doing.

Everyone is different. People think that I'm extreme. I spent my younger years continuously sick even with a life threatening disease. Now that I've cleaned up my diet, to my own standard, I've been healthier than ever. Many people that tell me how wrong I am to get rid of certain things or keep my kids away from food additives and chemicals are the people that are having serious health issues at a young age, maybe do to the foods I'm trying to stay away from. It still makes me feel guilty for a while that they are saying I'm wrong for giving my kid an apple instead of a donut.

Grain including wheat contains more gluten than it did decades ago. I've been learning about this in some of my medical school classes. Also, I have a degree from the college of Agriculture at MSU. I was so surprised about what was going on with some farmers and the gov't to put more money in their pocket at the expense of our health. I was disappointed, we learned to be sales people...

We should be careful what we read and get a clear pic and work with a doc or nutritionists (I don't always agree with the doc, but at least they can help moniter us.)

I applaud you for monitoring what your children eat! they are only a product of what adults teach them....food additives can affect them in so many ways....we are old enough to make our own decisions but they are in our 'capable' hands so to speak....well done....I have another MFP who has eliminated sugar, processed food etc from her sons diet for the last month....he is now a VERY different child, no problems sleeping, not irritable, not hyper, just generally nice to be around...:o)
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping because I dislike eating processed foods. I'm interested in what smarter people than myself have to say about the "grain factor"
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    According to the Paleo Diet, all grains can cause auto immune disease, that can attack and destroy the body.

It's funny you say that, because I watched a food documentary recently, called 'A delicate Balance' and they say the exact same thing about any animal product - meat/fish/eggs are responsible for 20 different auto-immune diseases.
  • lionwes59
    lionwes59 Posts: 11
    Options
    read enough books and you'll starve to death.
  • huffdog
    huffdog Posts: 1
    Options
    I can't help but comment on this... My sister in law is a nutrition major and she recommended my husband & I try this diet to lose weight. We did the "Wheat Free" diet for a couple months and both lost weight without doing exercise. Honestly, I did the diet to prove to her it was stupid and wasn't going to make a difference. BUT, after doing the diet and seeing that I not only lost weight, but I felt better, I was more convinced the diet does make a difference. I don't have major problems or illnesses if I go back to eating wheat or gluten but I do notice I'm less bloated and I don't have the blood sugar spikes like I used to... you know, going from totally awake to food coma in no time. My mother in law also has a friend with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and she did the "wheat free" diet and notices a huge difference in her joints and overall well being. The point of the "paleo" or "wheat free" diet is that wheat is not as pure as it was 20 or 30 years ago so cutting it out of our diets will make us better and healthier or whatever you want it to do. Don't get me wrong, I agree with people who say that these authors might be a little more dramatic about going "paleo" than they need to be but I think if it works for you, great! I'm not completely wheat free but I try to be as much as possible. It helps me make better food choices because wheat is in EVERYTHING and it forces me to eat more fruits and veggies. The point of my story is, I'm for it but not obsessive about it so do what works!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I only eat dinosaurs.
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    read enough books and you'll starve to death.

Or enough MFP threads ;)

edited to say: huffdog: I'm with you; this is pretty much where I'm at now

chrisdavey: I only eat grassfed dinosaurs
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I only eat dinosaurs.

and pop tarts.

they go well together :smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You really should take everything you read with a grain of salt. Anyone can write a book. Doesn't mean what is contained within the book is factual, backed up by science, or not. Sadly. I can find you a book that says you're not supposed to eat certain foods if you're a certain blood type.

Same thing...

what you meant to say was...

You really should take everything you read with whole grain and salt.

=D
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i eat paleo...

but thats because i have legitimate gluten allergies (i get hives and my throat constricts), and ive never been crazy about rice and oatmeal

i think people should just eat what works for them. my great grandad lived to be well over a hundred and he ate bacon, smoked pipes and drank whiskey everyday. should we all eat like him? probably not, but it obviously wasnt an issue for him.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love me some whole grains
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I tend to believe moderation in all things, then they wont be an issue, unless you do have intolerances or allergies. It would seem obvious that people would lose weight if cutting out wheat, simply because so very many foods, especially cakes, cookies and breads, that are calorie dense, contain it. I simply try to eat in moderation, and avoid eating too much bread and cake, and stick to a small portion of wholegrain rice, quinoa or baked potato with my dinner, with plenty of fish and vegetables. I don't think it does any harm to cut down wheat to a great extent, but I don't think all grains are 'bad' per se. My father swears by a bowl of wholegrain oats with grated apple for breakfast, and it keeps him going until lunchtime. He has lost over 70Ibs over the years doing this.

I don't think any extreme in eating is a good idea. just commonsense. If you eat a lot of calorie dense foods, you will gain weight. If you keep bread and other wheat containing foods like cake and cereal as an occasional thing, it shouldn't be an issue. I think the world has gone a bit mad, turning all foods into some sort of deadly enemy and that in itself is not very healthy and can cause such confusion for people, who start listening to everyone else instead of their own bodies. Everyone will have different needs and I think people need to find their own balance in eating and learn by experience which foods affect them positively and negatively, rather than helping sell peoples' books and theories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Wolf and Cordain are trying to sell books, hence a bit of fear mongering on their part.

There is zero actual evidence supporting his claims that a Paleo type diet free or severely limiting grains, legumes and dairy is any better then a diet that includes said foods, if you were to hold calories and macros constant.
    While I agree that any good and decent diet (whole foods) will have little if any effect on our overall health and longevity when compared to a paleo type diet, however some health markers do improve when grain is removed. Trigs, HDL, fasting glucose, CRP etc. whether this really has a beneficial effect longterm has not been determined.