Working out and sleep

Options
2»

Replies

• KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I struggle with sleeping straight through the night, but try to get as close to 8 hours as I can. I also nap during the day when I can. I work from home so some weeks, I might nap as much as 2-4 times.
  • sparklefly74
    sparklefly74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I work the midnight shift (luckily only part time...3 nights a week), go to school and I am raising a 9 year old boy. I've gotten into the habit of only being able to sleep 3 or 4 hours at a time, but usually I sleep for 3 or 4 hours, up for 8 or 9, and then sleep again for 3 or 4 hours. So,it's like I have 2 days to everyone else's 1 day, lol. Every once in awhile I will sleep a full 8 hours (like last night) but I'm not sure that it makes that much of a difference to me.

I only run into real trouble if I've been awake for over 24 hours...that's when the high fat, high sugar, I just don't care eating starts.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Since starting to work out regularly, I sleep really well most nights. I aim for 8 hours. It used to be that if I only got 7, I could hardly function, but I think that because I sleep so much more deeply now, it's not a big deal if I have a 7 hour night.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I find that now that I walk daily I sleep like the dead at night. Except for my baby. He wakes me up every day at 5 am for mommy-food. Then I have a decision to make; wake up early for mommy time or go back to sleep for an hour until my 2 year old wakes up. FML=Sleeping. LOL
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Your recovery isn't going to be optimal with only 5-6 hours of sleep, so in the long run you might feel a little run down, and need a few days off here and there.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    They say the body needs at least 6 hours to rest up. I usually get 8+ but that's because I'm a newlywed with no children and I work from home. I do realize that when I eat crappy and don't exercise I actually struggle to fall asleep at night, toss and turn, and I feel like crap when I wake up. Now that I've started exercising again (in the mornings) by 10 pm I'm ready to crash and I actually sleep through the night and have been waking up before 9am which is a big deal from my old 10-12 wake up times lol.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Getting the right amount of sleep is just as important as getting the right amount of exercise.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good about going to bed early enough that I can get 8 full hours. On weekends, I try to get 9.

Sleep is critical for recovery and overall health. Don't burn the candle at both ends.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    With 3 kids and a heavy snorer next to me at night, I struggle to get enough uninterrupted sleep. I take Melatonin regularly. Sometimes I get to the point I have to take an Ambien on a Friday night just to get 8 hours of straight sleep. I have less endurance at the gym on days I haven't gotten enough sleep.
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My work and daily schedule is such that I get up at 3:30am and workout before work. I get around 5-6 hours a night and I function good on that amount. I usually sleep late at least 1 day on the weekend to make up for the week, kinda like a cheat day for sleep. Been doing this for about a year so far. We'll see how long I can keep it up! LOL

^^^This^^^
    I also get up at between 3:30 and 3:45 am to work out. I am a teacher and a mom of 2 teenagers. I do not have the time or motivation to work out after work so that is the only time I am faithful to my workout. I am usually running kids around until 8-9 pm so by the time I get to bed, get unwound, and go to sleep, I usually get about 5-6 hours a night. However, sometimes I get home from work and crash for the night due to pure exhaustion. Then I am ready to go with my schedule for another 6-8 weeks.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I get like 6-6.5 hours of sleep on average. Its not enough. I need like 8 hrs of sleep at least but that never happens unless its a weekend. Plus some days I workout 2x a day so then I'm really drained. Energy drinks or shots have become my best friend.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I find that I get better sleep and that I do get tired at a more appropriate time when I work out. I'm a night owl and I usually don't get naturally tired until 11:30 pm but I have to get up for work at 7am so it's something I struggle with. But working out definitely helps me sleep more deeply and I feel more refreshed when I wake up.

I personally need about 8 1/2 hours of sleep a night but I usually get about 7 1/2. I can function on this amount but it catches up with me sometimes.