Eat pasta before or after evening jog?

Options
As the says up there.
Should I eat my dinner tonight (pasta with pesto) before my jog this evening or after?

Replies

• ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I would eat it after.

You will avoid a world of cramps (trust me on that one :sick:) and your metabolism is more active after you workout.

Happy Running :happy:,
    Anna
  • JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would definatley say eat AFTER jogging. I made the mistake of eating before I worked out, and thought I was going to get sick. Also, it seems like when I eat after working out, I don't want much...so that's a plus!!! :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    During, to fuel your run while your running
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs before running. Generally, protein is a better recovery food. If my work out for the evening is running or spinning, I will have carbs in my breakfast and lunch and I'll have a high protein dinner. For me, the goal is to have my body use the food after work outs efficiently, especially if it's later in the day.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Oh and generally......don't eat RIGHT before you eat. I eat my meals a couple of hours before a work out.

http://www.nvdaily.com/lifestyle/2009/01/food-for-fitness-eat-protein-a.html
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My dad always carb loads the night before a big run...he runs in the morning. So, not right before, but before, IMO.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've always heard "carbs before, protein after."
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm getting used to the "carbs before,protein after" guidelines.I make sure to have a gatorade after a workout now-makes me feel much better.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    How about whenever you are hungry for it? ;)
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I read once that your body can better break down carbs AFTER cardio/working out. Is this true?
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same as nniles39
    I think that saying means during the day or day before a race kind of thing. Right before a run though would really suck so I'd just say after. It all comes down to burning more in a day than you eat not necessarily what time. =] Now if you had a marathon race in a tomorrow I'd say before lol.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    like 2 hours before minimum
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i eat something small, a banana or something before to hold me over, then eat my meal after.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating ANYTHING before jogging, but that's just me.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my dinner at about 6pm and then go running at 8pm
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It's not going to make much of any difference in terms of weight loss or body composition so I would let personal preference dictate this. If eating before a run causes you discomfort then eat after.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    During, to fuel your run while your running

this made for an enjoyable visual
  • marckilgore
    Options
    Do whatever you want, as long as you still workout! If you get sick from eating before, then don't do that next time. ;-D
  • curiousmissclay
    Options
    I would be in agony and miserable if I had carbs before running. I make sure I have had a decent lunch not to heavy but atleast lined my stomach then I'm starving for food when Ive finished running lol
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Oh and generally......don't eat RIGHT before you eat. I eat my meals a couple of hours before a work out.

http://www.nvdaily.com/lifestyle/2009/01/food-for-fitness-eat-protein-a.html

I like a premeal meal sometimes...