Major sucess with higher calories!

Options

Replies

• miltonp50
    miltonp50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. It sure seems counterintuitive to eat less, but we need to eat what our bodies need to maintain and then not overdue it. Best wishes on your journey.
  • slimgal613
    Options
    This is my first week of increasing my calorie intake from 1200 to 1500. Have to admit, after looking my diary, still having trouble hitting the 1500 mark. I think I need to incorporate more healthy snacks throughout the day to help me get to my 1500 cal intake. I am hoping that this will work; been stuck and its been slooooow going. Wishing all of you luck on your diet/calorie changes.

:smile:
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I also went to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ and my result was that I should be eating at least 1800-2100 calories a day. HOLY CRAP. I eat around 1200-1500 right now, and I can't imagine eating more.

That said, I know it isn't that easy, because before I joined MFP, I was eating around 2000 calories a day on average, and I wasn't losing weight, I was gaining it -- and I eat insanely healthy, no junk food, no fake food, very little processed food. And I was training for a half marathon four days a week, and doing strength training two days a week, and I have four kids -- so by definition, I was active!

It can't be as simple as "eat more calories" or "do more exercise." That means I was eating the wrong things and working out the wrong stuff.

What I'm hearing from folks who are having success after plateauing is that they:

1. Increased calories BUT ALSO changed their ratios so that they were eating significantly more protein than fat AND in most cases they ate more whole foods and less processed foods,

2. And they significantly changed their workout routines AND in many cases started lifting HEAVY things.

Does that sound about right? Because I am working my butt off to lose those last ten pounds, and it is taking F O R E V E R, LOL.
  • RebeccaRose55
    RebeccaRose55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to this, did WW before. So, I eat the 1200 and if I am hungry I exercise and then eat those calories. If I am eating the calories I get from exercising, should I still be eating more? (I am hungry everyday so I exercise everyday.) Thanks!
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am afraid to do that! Did he tell you what the reason was that more calories would help you lose weight? I have heard others say this as well but I can't wrap my head around it.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel like there should be more to it as well. it seems like if you increase your calories but workout the same then you'd gain weight back?
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    To Dan, Bales, or Lemon,
    I did my math...BMR 1347, TDEE 1616.4. I used the Fat to Fit calculator and it's telling me that I can eat 2007 calories to get to my goal weight. But that is above my TDEE? Is that right? I am 5'7'', 130lbs. I am trying to get nice and lean. I think I've gotten skinny fat from a 1200 calorie a day diet. I love to exercise. I'm currently doing 3 mile interval runs and 30 day shred 5 to 6 days a week. I know I'm not eating enough. I have only been netting 850 calories. I am big time lacking energy. And you are suggesting 30% fat, 30% protein, and (gasp) 40% carbs? Set me straight. I will follow it to the gospel! And Bales, I notice you say not to just start eating all the extra calories at once. Spread it out?
    Thanks ahead of time!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am curious to hear more from people who are eating over what is considered maintenance levels, but at goal weight. All this is a very new idea for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am curious to hear more from people who are eating over what is considered maintenance levels, but at goal weight. All this is a very new idea for me.

But it is not eating _over_ maintenance levels at goal weight, it is _at_ maintenance levels at goal weight.

And realize too, that estimate of maintenance levels is just that, really an underestimated maintenance level.

You could enter your goal weight same as your current weight to get current weight TDEE.
    Subtract you BMR from that.
    Total activity calories.

Now, if you have HRM estimates of calories burned on ONLY your workouts, I'll bet you'd find that you about suck up most of those activity calories by just the exercise. And that number was supposed to represent all the daily activity.
  • heybales
    Options
    To Dan, Bales, or Lemon,
    I did my math...BMR 1347, TDEE 1616.4. I used the Fat to Fit calculator and it's telling me that I can eat 2007 calories to get to my goal weight. But that is above my TDEE? Is that right? I am 5'7'', 130lbs. I am trying to get nice and lean. I think I've gotten skinny fat from a 1200 calorie a day diet. I love to exercise. I'm currently doing 3 mile interval runs and 30 day shred 5 to 6 days a week. I know I'm not eating enough. I have only been netting 850 calories. I am big time lacking energy. And you are suggesting 30% fat, 30% protein, and (gasp) 40% carbs? Set me straight. I will follow it to the gospel! And Bales, I notice you say not to just start eating all the extra calories at once. Spread it out?
    Thanks ahead of time!

Something didn't work right.
    That page that reports your BMR and the chart for Activity Levels and Daily Calories. There is only 2 sets of figures, not 3.

There is no way your suggestion was 1616, unless you are looking at Sedentary level, and you would be at Very Active level with that workout routine.

Dan's method is picking that level that applies, and as the site mentions, you eat there, and because that includes exercise in the total already, you don't eat back exercise calories logged, or log them as 1 cal.

To calc what your real deficit would be, you add 20% to that level figure to get your estimated real TDEE.
    Now you have TDEE minus what you are eating, and for you that is almost 1lb weekly.

You will be shocked at the Very Active level, but you can pick a number inbetween Moderate and Very Active if you aren't 6-7 days, but more 5-6.

And yes, the case studies I've seen on suppressed metabolism had them adding back about 200 per day for a week.
    If the gap was as big as yours, they also stopped exercise for a week and just walked. Letting the body figure out it could raise metabolism, rather than storing it as a gift in case the insanity continued.
  • heybales
    Options
    Yeah, I feel like there should be more to it as well. it seems like if you increase your calories but workout the same then you'd gain weight back?

There is more to it.

You gain weight being at a surplus over ALL your daily activity calorie burn.

Most people have easy 600-1000 daily activity. If their metabolism was not slowed down anyway.

You might read some of my past posts, and those of others. It really was explained in this thread. If you are interested, doesn't long to scan past all the "it worked for me" posts.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    it's true.. i was at 1240 calories and the scale wouldn't budge. I upped the calories to 1540 and lost over a lb in a week. :smile:
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later <3
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Heydales,

Would you look on page 16 and see if my calculations are correct? Thanks
  • lds72
    lds72 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am one that also was at 1200 cal a day (or less) and yes I lost 55 lbs eating on a VLCD over 1.5 yrs but would get so frustrated b/c I lost better when I didn't exercise. I started running and loved doing so but running would really slow my loss down and I could not understand why. It got to the point that I was afraid to run or exercise b/c I would either gain or stay the same.

I have a Body Fit armband and now know that on days I run/ exercise my TDEE is around 2500 yet I was only eating 1200 and never ate my exercise cal back. I should have been eating 1500 and then eating my exercise cals back on days I exercise.

The light bulb finally went off!! I ran all my numbers on Fat2Fit and WOW!

I started upping my calories 2 wks ago and the first week I did the scale went up, I freaked out but stuck with it and this week it went down 3 lbs!!! I am so excited! It all totally makes sense to me know!

Thank you helloitsdan and heybales!! We are listening!
  • Mochadog
    Mochadog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    eenoi28....

thank you.... I just was coming on to say that I'm freaking out because after upping my calories over the last two weeks I've gained a little. I really needed to know someone else had that experience as well and that it DID turn around and go back in the right direction.

I can't say that I'm not still a little freaked out with this, but I've known mentally for a long time that I needed to eat more but it sure can cause a bit of anxiety after so many years of 'eating less to lose weight'.

I keep telling myself: Lean bodies need more fuel! Lean bodies need more fuel! Repeat...

Here's hoping I can finally get rid of this last ten pounds or so.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had mine set to 1200 a day and never put in my exercises and would always be under my goal. So in fact most days I was taking in only 500-800 calories a day. I did lose 45 lbs over the last 5 months but I was at a stand still for the last 3 weeks and only losing a half pound. I moved my calories up to 1430 and I track my exercises and eat back darn close to all of them back since the last 5 days I have lost 1.6 lbs. Crazy.
  • lewdug
    lewdug Posts: 17
    Options
    Eating enough calories is a major thing in weight loss. If you don't end up NETTING at least 1200 (although, I think you should be eating at least 1500 calories a day to lose weight healthfully), you'll be setting yourself up for failure. 800-900 calories a day is basically low enough to signal to your body that you're starving, which tells it that it needs to conserve energy and hold onto every calorie. That's why you were gaining. Evolution has made the body that way for survival, since we couldn't always get enough food when we were hunter-gatherers originally. We have to think about the remarkable human body and how it does all it can to preserve our lives and take care of us, to keep us functioning. If we think that way, I think more of us will be less likely to mistreat it and treat it like the precious treasure it is.
  • lewdug
    lewdug Posts: 17
    Options
    Yes, since your metabolism has slowed down because of the lack of calories before, it will need a period of adjustment. You may or may not gain weight back for a little bit, but it will adjust back, and you'll lose again. The body's metabolism is tricky like that. Not eating enough calories, though, will just sabotage you, and it's also detrimental to your health because the body also will begin to break down muscle to make up for nutritional deficiencies of protein and energy. This includes your heart muscle, so be very careful about not eating enough calories.