Couch to 5k

Options
1234568»

Replies

• fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    nueta1922,
    You're not a failure at all! If I were you, I might do a special 3½ week designed just for myself :wink: Perhaps something like replacing the 5-minute-jogs with 4-minute-jogs. That should be a little easier but I think it would still require pushing yourself and trying hard.

I need to share it here.. I completed the program today, about 2 hours ago! I actually did an extra minute speeding up so that I could really feel it. It was such a great feeling, finishing the program :smile:

Just keep at it, you'll do fine :flowerforyou:
  • nueta1922
    nueta1922 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    fanta014 congrats what an amazing accomplishment. I can't wait to say that too.

Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement... I think I am going to keep doing week4 until I master it even if it takes a month. But I am going to master the 5 minute run.
  • cellorocker
    Options
    Tagging this, I've bookmarked the page with the C25K program on it.

A quick question:
    If you cannot successfully complete week one, should you keep trying it until you have mastered it?
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options

A quick question:
    If you cannot successfully complete week one, should you keep trying it until you have mastered it?

If you're having trouble with week 1, then this may not be for you. It's just going to get harder with every week. And do you really want to have to do every single week over and over again?
  • cellorocker
    Options

A quick question:

If you're having trouble with week 1, then this may not be for you. It's just going to get harder with every week. And do you really want to have to do every single week over and over again?

Oh, well, I'm not having problems, I haven't even started it yet.
    I just used week one as an example.
    Let's say I had a bad week, when I was on week 7 or so. Would it be okay to do the Week 7 workout once more, just to make sure I've really got it before I move on?

And, for those of you with an iPod, or iTunes, there's podcasts of the C25k program, complete with music, and cues for when to run and walk.
  • fitgal411
    Options

A quick question:

Let's say I had a bad week, when I was on week 7 or so. Would it be okay to do the Week 7 workout once more, just to make sure I've really got it before I move on?

And, for those of you with an iPod, or iTunes, there's podcasts of the C25k program, complete with music, and cues for when to run and walk.

Oh, I'm sorry! I was just saying what I would suggest to people who had trouble with week 1. If you don't feel like you really succeeded at one week, then yes, it would be good to do it over again for practice. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • cellorocker
    Options

A quick question:

Oh, I'm sorry! I was just saying what I would suggest to people who had trouble with week 1. If you don't feel like you really succeeded at one week, then yes, it would be good to do it over again for practice. Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Thank you!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    When I did something similar (it wasn't C25K, I think it was the Self program) a few years ago, I had to repeat several weeks. I know I'm going to have to repeat week 3 of C25K already. If it's worth doing, it's worth repeating weeks if you have to. I know someone who did each week twice before moving on to the next, just because she felt like it. I think the most important thing is to go ahead and try to push yourself, but at the same time be realistic about it. Like me, I can't finish the last 3 minute run yet, so I know I'm not going to be able to run 5 for week 4.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    I started c25k a couple of weeks ago. I did not have proper shoes and tore my heels up (they were scary looking). So this was the first solid week for me. I was able to do w1. I even noticed my distance improved each time. I am a big guy (290 lbs) so i was expecting ankle, knee, whatever problems. So far my ankles/feet have felt great. I have not got shin splints either. My breathing/lung power needs to improve, but that's it. I will be repeating week 1 in hopes i can complete the entire week again with less difficulty breathing. Then I will move on to week 2.

It has been surprisingly more enjoyable than i thought. I never thought i would be lookin forward to running. But when i get home from work, i immediately grab the dogs (2) and go for a run. By the last 1/3rd of the run one of my dogs cannot keep up so i end up partially dragging him (upper body workout too!). As soon as I'm done i jump right in the pool to relax/cool down. So far I have not even really had much soreness. If my lungs/breathing were more fit I would be ready to move on to week 2.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    faustt- you'll be surprised how you can continue to advance thru the program - each week I thought the next week looked impossible - just keep a positive attitude and tell yourself you can and you will. The breathing does get better - I still have to think about breathing when I am running but I figure every time I am out there I am getting stronger! There's no time limit to the program - you could repeat every week thru the program if it helps you - this is for you and you do what you feel is best!!

Way to go! Be sure you do the warm up and cool downs-I walk 5 minutes after I run then I stretch - I've had no injuries.
  • cellorocker
    Options
    Okay, there's no way I can get a HRM anytime soon, but I'd really like to know what I'm burning when I'm running the C25K.
    I did the first week, day 1.
    What should I log this under?
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    cellorocker -Do you know what speed you were walking and running? Under exercises they have various speeds you can choose and put your total time and then it will figure an estimated calorie burn.

I just completed WK 6 Day 1! I know it has been said before in other posts...but I am amazed with myself that I can keep progressing. Each week/day I look at the next step I think I "there's no way I can make it through that." And I do! Now instead of thinking that way I can't wait to accomplish the next challenge. I am so proud of myself, I have NEVER been a runner. I have never been athletic. But I'm getting there. I told my DH I would do a triathalon (sprint) with him next June. And although I really wanted to complete it, I had serious concerns that I wouldn't be in shape to do it. But I am getting there, slowly but surely. Yesterday I biked 13 miles which is the amount in the triathalon. And in 3 weeks I will be done with this program and running a 5K which is about the right distance for the triathalon. In September I will start swimming. Then I just have to do each thing faster and I will be set. I can actually see myself doing it now!!

GREAT JOB TO EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD!! Whatever our goals are, we can reach them!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Cellorocker, I just figure how many minutes I'm running, and put it in under jogging (12 min. miles/5 mph), then I put the rest of the minutes under walking 3.0 mph. I wear a HRM, and entering it this way usually gets me pretty close to what the HRM says.

I just completed wk 3, day 2 (for the second week in a row). Last week, I couldn't complete both of the 3 minute intervals so I redid it this week. But how's this for improvement-- today when I finished the podcast (I used Nicole Baum's), I turned around and did another week 3 podcast (used Suz's this time). I completed all the intervals, even running uphill during the second podcast) for a total running time of 19 1/2 minutes and 36 minutes walking! I don't think I'll have a problem moving on to week 4 next week. Part of me wants to try week 4 on Friday, part of me wants to wait until next week...
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm on week 2 after redoing week 1. . . I am very out of shape lol. I am looking ahead to week 3 and dreading the 3 minute intervals. these 90 second ones aren't getting much easier, but I make it through them. I might try week 3 and if i can't do the 3 minute interval, continue with week 2 again and try week 3 again next tuesday.
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    Options
    I just finished week 5, which means I ran for 20 straight minutes!!! I never thought I could make it that long, but really I found it easier than the intervals!

I still can't believe I went 20 minutes! Its starting to set in that I CAN be a runner and CAN run a 5k! :bigsmile:

Bring on the last 4 weeks!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I just finished week 5, which means I ran for 20 straight minutes!!! I never thought I could make it that long, but really I found it easier than the intervals!

Me too! I do week 6 day 3 tomorrow- 25 minutes. For me, it's easier to just keep going. It's the starting and stopping that's tough (probably a mental thing). :ohwell:
  • fitgal411
    Options
    bump
  • re_define
    Options
    I'll be finishing up week 3 tomorrow and I'm getting excited and nervous as the jogging periods get longer. I've noticed my endurance is going up and I look forward to the end when I'll finally be able to run 3 miles. I was never even able to run the mile test in p.e. class back in high school!