smaller looking women who weigh more than me?!?!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Lean mass. Bone (I have a heavy frame) and muscle are more dense than fat, so a person with a heavy frame or lots of muscle will be smaller at the same weight. You can't do much about your skeletal structure, but you can add muscle.

There's a term "skinny fat" to describe people who are light in weight but still have a pretty high body fat percentage because they have no muscle.
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    Add me to the "Gee, you weigh THAT much?" camp. I guess that's good that I don't look as heavy as I am! For me the proof was going from 130 to 140 from lifting weights, but still fitting into all of my clothes.

Now at 154, I am NOT fitting into all of my clothes at the moment, but that's another story. Working to get back down to the 140s.
  • Starbella19
    Starbella19 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find this really weird too.! I've been doing so much research on body fat % and I found that I have 26.3% body fat but I weigh 193 lbs.. I've always carried my weight well but it always discouraged me that I was that much while others were like 120 and lower. But now I understand it's all about lean body mass and body fat %. I don't know how I have all that lean body mass though.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    yep it's all about weight training :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Add me to the "Gee, you weigh THAT much?" camp. I guess that's good that I don't look as heavy as I am! For me the proof was going from 130 to 140 from lifting weights, but still fitting into all of my clothes.

Now at 154, I am NOT fitting into all of my clothes at the moment, but that's another story. Working to get back down to the 140s.

I am firmly in that camp. I weigh about 9 stone and people are always horrified if I tell them.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have this problem a lot. I see women my height and weight who look much better than I do. I think part of it, for me anyway, is a mental block and I still see my old body. I'm starting to really see the progress now, but it's taken a while. Also, I know I have a small frame, so I'll have to be at a lower weight, since my bones are smaller.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Well, I say keep working at it. I could have given up...I guess I did a little after my 6th baby. Stretch marks, loose tummy skin, wider hips (5 boys hips never spread, last child girl....my hip bones got wider!!) And 39 when she was born too.

I was frustrated and just thought...this is it. Then last year, I said NO. I have always been fit and thin.

Joined gym...blah blah blah. Lost weight and looked good. But what about this dang tummy skin. I am now eating leaner, trying to lose fat but not my muscles...and i can see a difference. I am in no way going to look as good as you young chicks....but I was determined to not let the fact that I am a 41 year old mom of 6 let my body go to pot!

Stay to it girls...just because our bodies change from having babies, does not mean that our bodies are destroyed...we can work hard to get it the best that it can be.

And., i do have the stretch marks and when I bend over, I get that little tummy skin...but it loks a lot better than it did Jan 1, 2012!!!

One more thing....I am wearing the same size at 130lbs (now) as when I was 30 years old and weighed 115!!
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    It's because muscle really does weigh more than fat. I'll give you my own personal example.

Seven or so years ago, I weighed 130 lbs. and I wore a size 10. Now, I weigh 158 lbs and I wear a size 10. I have more muscle on my body now than I did then, and I'm healthier for it.
  • naturerunner
    Options
    As others have pointed out, part of it may be differences in height (which is obviously an important factor), but also in bone structure. You can't really do anything about either of these. The thing you can change is how much muscle you have relative to fat, which makes a huge different in how you look. There is a commonly posted picture around here, of a woman who gained a little weight building muscle, but looks a lot tighter/firmer, because it's muscle and not fat. So adding strength building to your fitness routine may be the key to getting the body you want. Also, the other thing you can do is stop comparing yourself to others so much. You don't have someone else's body, you have yours, so work on it.
    I love the last line about stopping comparing yourself to others. "You don't have someone else's body, you have yours, so work on it." We all would be better off if we could focus more on doing things for the benefit of our health and not caring so much about what others think. :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Muscle is what makes the difference, not luck.

If you haven't read this before, learn about Staci:
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

:drinker: STACI !!! :bigsmile:
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I concur I NEVER carry weight in my stomach. It all goes to my lower half. I weigh 194 pounds and no one can believe it because my waist is so small at 33 inches.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it, darlin'! You look fabulous to me...beautiful ink, gorgeous eyes...take pride in the fact that there are probably girls out there RIGHT NOW who wish they could look as hot as you!

The scale could never measure the true potential of someone's beauty...THAT, my dear, lies within the :heart:
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Guilty. I'm tall, I'm a lead-*kitten* and I lift LOTS of heavy stuff all the time.

I bounce between 165-170 now (yay for period bloat!) and I rock a 6/8 most of the time. I've had to get over the fact that I'll never be on the low end of the "normal range" for my height. If I dropped 40-50 more pounds to get to the low end I'd probably end up dead. Like you'd have to dehydrate my bones and EVEN then I may still be more that 125lbs. :laugh:

And on the bright side I'm strong as hell. I can almost bench press my body weight (I maxed out at 160lb the other day) and I can squat over 300lbs. :bigsmile:
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    we're a LOT harder on our own bodies than we are on other people - I doubt they look quite as much better as you think they do in your head.

But also some of it is just plain bonestructure - I'm heavy as snapdoozle, I look firmer than women who weigh 10 lbs less than I do. Some of its muscle (yay) but a lot of it is just plain.... HEAVY. I don't really know what it is. I'm really super heavy. I have friends close to my height that weigh 40 lbs less than I do and look great, if I weight that much I'd be in the hospital.

I would agree with bone structure... My dear friend and I were close to the same height/weight (before I started MFP) and with her large bones and seemingly no fat, she was a size 4ish, a size 2 on a good day. On the other hand, I am small-framed, and my curves were as jiggly as they come, and I was a size 8, with a size 10-12 on the bottom - on a really bad day. Fast forward a few months, have lost weight and toned, and am a solid size 6, with a few size 4's...

Could lose more, but I feel good where I'm at, and still have my curves (albeit smaller!)

12029845.png
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Muscle is what makes the difference, not luck.

If you haven't read this before, learn about Staci:
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

:drinker: STACI !!! :bigsmile:

Uh Stacey from 2009 at 170 pounds?! I weight 172 pounds and I look nothing like that. I'm flabby, I have big thighs and a big gut, big flabby biceps. I would literally kill for a body like she had a 170. I don't see why her story is so awesome. She was already thin before.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite experience many years back... back when I was in shape.

We had a exchange student over and she and I were the same height but she clearly looked way heavier than me. WELL... we got on the scale (all the girls in my family did) and I was the heaviest! I was shocked and in tears because it didnt make sense to me... BUT, now I am Learning more and more everyday it's not about what the scale says. I am NOW more into muscle gain and Body fat percentage. I would rather LOOK 150 and weigh 170, than LOOK 170 and actually BE 150.
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    well i sure wish that i was one of those women, who looked 'to die for' at 130. >.<

i think i'm just too used to the body shape i used to have, and i sure hope i either get used to the fact that i'm going
    to have a different body shape or get that one back.

...i guess we will see.

i will be satisfied when i can jump and nothing jiggles but my boobs. >.<