Morning metabolism Kickstarters?

Options
ebony__
ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
Im not a big breakfast fan. but I want to be healthy so Skipping breakfast isnt really an option,
what are some low cal metabolism kickstarting foods i could have to get my day going?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is perfectly fine. The metabolic effect from feeding is calorie based anyways. The idea of breakfast "boosting" your metabolism is basically a myth.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of circuit training.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yup. Exercise in the morning will boost that metabolism. One word of caution.... I am usually more hungry than nirmal on workout days and I'm an AM trainer. Might not be the case for everyone, but.... . :o)
  • ebony__
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is perfectly fine. The metabolic effect from feeding is calorie based anyways. The idea of breakfast "boosting" your metabolism is basically a myth.

this goes against everything i have ever heard ?
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For me if I eat a bigger breakfast it actually seems to make me hungrier the rest of the day. After some trial and error I found that eating something that's right at 200 calories or below with a bit of protein and a bit of fiber seem to work best for me. If I do that, I'm not as hungry the rest of the day and I still have the energy I need to make it comfortably to lunch time.

I usually eat a banana and PB or greek yogurt with fruit for breakfast because it's fast and easy. Sometimes I eat an egg, a slice of whole grain toast and 8 oz. of OJ. I also really love Kashi's Cinnamon Harvest cereal, tasty and filling but not too much.
  • johnnyAngel62
    Options
    i'm looking for very filling low cal brekkies, as I do enjoy brekkie with a cuppa earl grey or coffee. I have a sweet tooth, but don't use sugar, only the supermarket version of canderel type. Any help would be appreciated. Hope I've not done wrong by posting in here???
    John
  • ebony__
    Options
    cheers but i was enquiring about foods :)
  • ebony__
    Options
    For me if I eat a bigger breakfast it actually seems to make me hungrier the rest of the day. After some trial and error I found that eating something that's right at 200 calories or below with a bit of protein and a bit of fiber seem to work best for me. If I do that, I'm not as hungry the rest of the day and I still have the energy I need to make it comfortably to lunch time.

I usually eat a banana and PB or greek yogurt with fruit for breakfast because it's fast and easy. Sometimes I eat an egg, a slice of whole grain toast and 8 oz. of OJ. I also really love Kashi's Cinnamon Harvest cereal, tasty and filling but not too much.

Yes, the more I eat for breakfast the more hungry I seem to feel.
    And I generally dont feel like eating much in the mornings, they are pretty hectic usually as im working, a full time student and a full time single mum haha
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have to leave for work at 5:45 am so I just drink a cup of skim milk and a scoop of chocolate protein powder! It has over 30 grams of protein and keeps me fill til 8:30 when I eat breakfast! You could also eat a protein bar! Cliff bars are good! Good luck to you!
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    I usually go to the gym and then have a protein shake (fruit, protein powder, a little milk, a little greek yogurt and ice), or egg whites a veggies - whatever I am in the mood for. Either way is a big boost of protein to get my day started. You could also do just a greek yogurt.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Thermic effect of food (diet induced thermogenesis) is based on total caloric intake, not frequency of feeding. The metabolic boost from consumption will total the same for the day regardless of when you eat or how often provided were comparing the same total food for the day.

I wrote a very detailed and referenced post on this titled "a compliation on meal frequency" (note the typo), and it should explain this via provided references in that thread. I'd link it but I'm posting from my phone.

In closing, if you enjoy breakfast or function better by eating breakfast, then do it. But it doesn't boost metabolism provided were comparing two scenarios with the same total daily intake in both cases.

Edit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

It might go against what you've heard, but it's true. Your metabolism doesn't need a "jump start" in the morning, it's always running. Eating breakfast is important if you need the energy in the morning or if it helps you eat less throughout the rest of the day, but you don't need to eat it to kickstart your metabolism.
  • ebony__
    Options

It might go against what you've heard, but it's true. Your metabolism doesn't need a "jump start" in the morning, it's always running. Eating breakfast is important if you need the energy in the morning or if it helps you eat less throughout the rest of the day, but you don't need to eat it to kickstart your metabolism.

I hope this is right because i hate eating breakfast.
    but its difficult when ive been given such conflicting information
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    If you hate eating it then don't eat it. As long as you feel fine, and perform in the gym fine, and you can still hit your end of day nutritional totals, then you have nothing to worry about.
  • ebony__
    Options
    If you hate eating it then don't eat it. As long as you feel fine, and perform in the gym fine, and you can still hit your end of day nutritional totals, then you have nothing to worry about.

yeah awesome
    I actually feel better for the whole day if i skip breakfast. just always had it drummed into us thet skipping breakfast is terrible (even in class by a nutrition teacher)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Well then, if it ain't broke no need to fix it. :smile: The best advice I ever got for anything and everything was this -
    "Whatever Works"

Someone wrote that in the advice section of my daughter's baby shower book. I refer to that little dynamic nugget of wisdom often. If it works then, whatever it is, that's what I do.
  • jodyl70
    jodyl70 Posts: 94
    Options
    I was told the same thing by a trainer and I do NOT like to eat breakfast either.
    So I don't and I even get up at 4:15am to go to the gym before work.
    Am usually not hungry until 8:00am, so that is when I eat.
    Do what feels right and what works for you!
    :happy:
  • ebony__
    Options
    Well then, if it ain't broke no need to fix it. :smile: The best advice I ever got for anything and everything was this -
    "Whatever Works"

Someone wrote that in the advice section of my daughter's baby shower book. I refer to that little dynamic nugget of wisdom often. If it works then, whatever it is, that's what I do.
    i love this :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

This!

Save the calories for before bed!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

Yes, the more I eat for breakfast the more hungry I seem to feel.
    And I generally dont feel like eating much in the mornings, they are pretty hectic usually as im working, a full time student and a full time single mum haha
    The reason you are hungry earlier after eating breakfast is because your metabolism is burning faster than if you didn't eat. Try having a low cal or protein rich snack before lunch. It always helps me. I used to HATE eating breakfast until I got on MFP and decided to try it. I'm actually eating more food than I did before but l'm losing weight. The reason is because I'm eating healthier food that has fewer calories in it so I actually have to eat more food.