How to recover from a binge?

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I always drink extra water with lemon.
    Helps me feel better, especially since the foods I binge on are laden with sodium.

What does the Lemon do???

Changes the flavor of the water. Otherwise? Not a dang thing.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am yet again coming to the MFP community for advise and suggestions on my most recent issue. Today I was out with friends and I WAY over ate. I'm talking like 1,500 calories over my daily goal. I know I shouldn't have done it, but you can't take back what you've done. You can only reverse your mistakes and learn from them. Since I way overate today how can I make it like it never happened? Should I exercise more tomorrow? Like to make up for the extra consumed calories. I will not be binging again... I forgot how awful you feel both mentally and physically afterwords. I just want those extra calories gone!

I'm trying to do this healthy so I really need your opinions. How can I reverse my stupidity? I don't want this to effect my weigh in next Thursday.

Thank y'all so much. You all help me so much and keep me motivated.

The most vitally important thing you can do is wipe the slate clean. Remember how you felt after bingeing, remember that it's not really your friend.... but apart from that forgive and forget.

Drink lots of water as you'll probably be a bit dehydrated and then just carry on as usual tomorrow. Don't try to repay the 'debt' as it can lead to undereating/overexercising and cause the stress necessary for the next binge. Just let it all wash away.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    As a recovering binge eater, I can tell you that the smartest thing to do is record it and then move on with your regular eating/exercise plan. If you turn it into trying to undo it you just set yourself up for more see-saw behavior:

Binge - beat yourself up - excessive exercise/cutting back calories - more hunger - binge

You want even keeled behavior. So for that occasional binge, dust yourself off and resume normal activity. 1500 calories in the scheme of this whole journey is not going to kill your long-term success.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing today!!! Ugh...even after I got up this morning and had lost another pound, which meant I was at a total of 76 lbs lost!!! I went to a jewelry party today given by my best friends mother and she had an amazing spread of food...she is a great cook and had all my favorite kinds of a desserts and appetizers. I did so well and only had the low-carb treats....THEN...

I got into a little argument with my husband and just snapped. I got in my car to drive around and I went through a drive through and got a bunch of junk and it just got worse after that. lol I have not had anything off my diet in a long time or overindulged in anything "naughty." But you know, it was a really good thing, because nothing tasted as good as I remembered it...It wasn't so delicious and life changing that I thought, "Oh I missed eating junk so much, it's better than being smaller and healthier." It really wasn't all that, plus I felt full,bloated, and guilty. Not really worth it. I think it is necessary every several weeks to do that because it makes you realize that eating bad isn't all it's cracked up to be. I am not going to weigh myself tomorrow because I know I will be up a pound or two, buttttttt...I'm going to go to Zumba tomorrow and then the gym, and then eat well for the next few days. You just gotta let the guilt go and get back on track!!!! :)
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    As a recovering binge eater, I can tell you that the smartest thing to do is record it and then move on with your regular eating/exercise plan. If you turn it into trying to undo it you just set yourself up for more see-saw behavior:

Binge - beat yourself up - excessive exercise/cutting back calories - more hunger - binge

You want even keeled behavior. So for that occasional binge, dust yourself off and resume normal activity. 1500 calories in the scheme of this whole journey is not going to kill your long-term success.

I agree with this. You can't make it like it never happened because it... did happen. Just walk away from it knowing that tomorrow you will do better and stay on goal. Remember how you feel right now and remind yourself of this feeling next time you want to "binge". Treating yourself every once in a while is okay though :flowerforyou:
  • jeremycatrett
    jeremycatrett Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    the only thing that makes me feel better after a bad day is time. just get back on track the next day and you will feel better. binging happens and realistically it isn't a bad thing as long as it is contained to one day infrequently.

Its pretty important to not beat yourself up.
  • Cobehale
    Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Forgive yourself.

Step 2: Move on. (extra water can't hurt, either)

That's about all you can do. I've had many binges. They make me feel horrible, but if I dwell on it, it turns from a single binge into DAYS of binge eating. You simply have to forgive yourself NOW. Let it go. Move ahead. Tomorrow is a brand new day.

I agree! Track it, forgive and move on! You didn't fall off the wagon, you just had a little bump! Making it into to big of a deal will only make it worse. Drink lots of water, take it easy on the carbs tomorrow, maybe do a couple extra minutes of your cardio. But don't undereat or overexercise to try and correct it.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Forgive yourself.

Step 2: Move on. (extra water can't hurt, either)

That's about all you can do. I've had many binges. They make me feel horrible, but if I dwell on it, it turns from a single binge into DAYS of binge eating. You simply have to forgive yourself NOW. Let it go. Move ahead. Tomorrow is a brand new day.

Love this advice!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    1500 calories of carbs or protein, with 4 cal per gram - is only 0.83 lbs.

If it could actually be all absorbed, and stored, and not burned at the moment.

If it was pure fat, with 9 cal per gram - is only .37 lbs.

Learn and plan better. Make breakfast and lunch smaller next time on that day, eat over less.

Now, if your glucose stores were always running low, very low, you could gain up to 3lbs of glucose and water stored.

The "one slice of wedding cake, gained 3 lbs on Sun" syndrome.

But this is energy storage, and if your normal diet/exercise routine really causes you to lower your stores, don't worry, you'll do it again through normal routine.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options

I just have to say you have an amazing weight loss! Congratulations! Also, Golden Retrievers. My weakness. <3 I have three! The loves of my life! <3:)
  • peachied
    peachied Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    there's no point in making yourself feel bad. just eat well and exercise the next day and you'll get back on track.
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    this is a journey, the binge was part of that journey its in the past now; continue on your journey new and refreshed! good luck!!
  • gvnyc
    gvnyc Posts: 12 Member
    Options

This makes an enormous amount of sense.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Helps me feel better, especially since the foods I binge on are laden with sodium.

There are actually many benefits to drink water with lemon. Drinking a glass of hot lemon water in the morning before you eat helps with liver function, also lemon is known to help with the digestive system amongst other things.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

I just have to say you have an amazing weight loss! Congratulations! Also, Golden Retrievers. My weakness. <3 I have three! The loves of my life! <3:)

Thank you! They are the best dogs. Great exercise motivators too. Who could say "no" to those sweet faces when they want to go for a walk? :bigsmile:
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Really don't see why you are so worried. Cheating once in a while isnt bad as long as it doesnt become a regular occurance. I mean whats the point in being alive if you can't relax now and then?

But hey it's up to you, hit yourself with pain sticks to teach yourself a lesson if you prefer. :)

I really like THIS ^^^ ... you're already doing great things for your body and your soul. The odd slip happens, it just does. You can acknowledge it, shrug it off and keep on going - or you can whack yourself around the head with it so that you really feel very much worse. What good did that ever do? Call your binge by another name if it helps - obviously you don't want to eat the way you did before but once in a while, in a controlled way, is not going to bring about a major weight gain.

If you think your medication is the reason, speak to your dentist/physician and get some advice.

Good luck and keep on going..
  • KathieSwenson
    Options

Acutally it is a known diaretic. sorta like drinking a glass of unsweetened tea. There is a thing called a lemon diet where you drink like a tablespoon of lemon every day. Look it up on the internet. Type in the lemon diet. I bet you will find loads on it. Note for the wise. a tablespoon to two tablespoons in water is like drinking sour candies in a water solution. It made my gag I couldnt do it. BUT if you like lemon it may help.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Really don't see why you are so worried. Cheating once in a while isnt bad as long as it doesnt become a regular occurance. I mean whats the point in being alive if you can't relax now and then?

But hey it's up to you, hit yourself with pain sticks to teach yourself a lesson if you prefer. :)

I really like THIS ^^^ ... you're already doing great things for your body and your soul. The odd slip happens, it just does. You can acknowledge it, shrug it off and keep on going - or you can whack yourself around the head with it so that you really feel very much worse. What good did that ever do? Call your binge by another name if it helps - obviously you don't want to eat the way you did before but once in a while, in a controlled way, is not going to bring about a major weight gain.

If you think your medication is the reason, speak to your dentist/physician and get some advice.

Good luck and keep on going..

I agree. Hydrocodone can cause severe constipation. It's in the warnings on it. I took it for three years straight for back pain before I had surgery and thankfully Im no longer on it. BUT, because of the usage I had to indure I do ask the physicians to get me pain pills that are not hydrocodone. IT was hard to ween myself off of them after three years of pain blocking agents. I dont want to use them again for fear of addiction.
  • MumMumOfMany
    MumMumOfMany Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    been there, done tht. dont dwell on it hunni. surely we're allowed one slip up in a while huh? first step forward is you realise you've 'done wrong'. just start a new day back on track and go frm there x
  • focuspocus
    focuspocus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I see this is a very old post, almost two years old, but it was helpful to read through all comments. The only statement that bothered me was this one:

"I think it is necessary every several weeks to do that (binge) because it makes you realize that eating bad isn't all it's cracked up to be."

Scary idea!

My binge last night put me 1399 calories OVER my 1400-calorie allotment for the day! How interesting that it was one calorie short of being double.

Here's my plan for today: I'm going to drink lots of water and see what my hunger tells me and go with that but NOT go over my 1400-calorie goal. Will also watch what my carbs, fats, and proteins are adding up to but I may need to give myself some leeway in the carb-fat-protein numbers because my body may be trying to self-correct. I'm wondering what my hunger will tell me I need--I'm ready for pleas for more junk food and will need to endure the tantrums and tricks by mind may throw at me.

I just called my husband at work and told him I was planning to throw his piece of chocolate fudge (friend's birthday) cake down the disposal. He asked me to save him a bite, and I'm actually thinking "what a shame to waste that beautiful cake." Must do that disposal thing right now!