Australian snacks, shopping lists etc

Options

Replies

• prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of any LOW CALORIE cereal? Much appreciated!
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    **** Smiths - Bush food Breakfast is yummy! 166 cals for 45 grams. You'll find it at some woolworths stores right up the top of the shelf.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Wow it bleated out the first word, rhymes with lick or sick starts with a d.
    **** Smiths - Bush food Breakfast is yummy! 166 cals for 45 grams. You'll find it at some woolworths stores right up the top of the shelf.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas, Natural PB, Roasted soy nuts

Also for low cal & healthy cereals, try Artisse Agave or cinnamon spelt flakes. 160 cal per cup, with heaps of fibre and some protein. Virtually no sugar too!!
    Also uncle toby's weight wise oats
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    Wow it bleated out the first word, rhymes with lick or sick starts with a d.

Hahaha! Poor Richard Smith
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump. Don't want to lose this one. Now back to the beginning to read it.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Tried SlimPasta Spaghetti tonight with my Tempeh Stir Fry - not bad. I would do that again.
  • Magooster
    Options
    helga thins are great - substitute for bread and they're really good toasted. Also the southcape crumbed feta for salad. You don't need much.
  • prettythinlove
    Options
    Tried SlimPasta Spaghetti tonight with my Tempeh Stir Fry - not bad. I would do that again.

I had it tonight for the second time. Pretty good for the amount of cals/carbs. Although it didn't fill me up for that long.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    love this topic! very helpful

What I usually shop around for is -

Slimpasta which is about 16 calories for a big 250gm serving of angel hair pasta. Once you mix it in with a good sauce, it is a great low calorie substitute for normal pasta and very low in carbs so perfect for dinner (I'm having it tonight)

Ingham turkey breast. 100 calories per 100 grams! Great to have this with some steamed veggies.

Kangaroo fillets. Same deal - 100 calories per 100 grams. Since I discovered how much leaner this is than cow beef, I have begun eating it as my weekly red meat instead :)

Aeroplane Lite Jelly Crystals - This does come with artificial sugar packed in to it... but if you're craving something sweet then you can't go past 7 calories a serving!

Laughing Cow Extra Light Cheese - 25 calories a wedge. I am loving this on two Sun Rice thins (rice cakes) with IXL 50% less sugar strawberry jam. It adds up to about 85 calories. Yum :)

Blue Diamond, Diamond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk - 40 calories a cup. Goes great in a protein shake but it's difficult to drink on it's own as yes... no added sugar :P

I & J Flame Grills, Garlic and Parmesan Fish Fillets - 100gm fish in a yummy sauce is 89 calories. Found in the frozen fish section.

John West light tuna in springwater - 54 calories a tin. John West's salmon in springwater is even nicer! and I think around the same calories. These little beauties go great in salads or sandwiches.

I buy a lot of Green Tea as well. If you drink 3-4 cups a day, it is said to help you burn an additional 80-90 calories. Not to mention it has loads of other great health benefits.

I buy Nerada Green Tea with Lemon Myrtle, Dilmah's Green Tea with Jasmine and I have some loose leaf Green Teas too :) (Strawberry and Soursop)

In regards to snacking I tend to consume this sort of stuff -

Two rice thins, laughing cow wedge and strawberry jam (as mentioned above)
    Celery
    Carrots
    Yoplait for me tub (69 calories) with chopped up strawberries in it
    Green seedless grapes
    Protein shakes (probably not the best option listed here lol)

Hope what I've said will be helpful to you all!
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention -

Queens Maple Flavoured Syrup - Artificial sugar in this one but it tastes AMAZING. 18 calories for a 35ml serving :)

I put it on my microwaved Superfood Barley and Oats (105 calories for 30 grams) in the mornings.

or

I put it on a peice of bread that I have soaked in one egg white and cooked (kind of like french toast)

so delish! I love this maple syrup :)
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    This is an excellent thread! So excited to try some of these things. I am definitely going to try some Tamar Valley Greek Style Yoghurt when I shop tomorrow. I am loving the Barley Wraps as well. I have also noticed that it's really, really hard for them to fall apart, even when I fill it with too much tomato... doesn't go soggy in a hurry.

I am currently eating a lot of Forme yoghurt, almonds, fruit and chopped up veges as my snacks. I really need to explore the cheese section again, because I have kind of cut out cheese except for the occasional sprinkle on top of pasta, home-made pizza (reduced fat chedder.) But I really LOVE cheese and there is no real reason for me to cut it out, I just have to make some good choices.

I have a packet of almond milk in the fridge to try. I'm a bit nervous to be honest, but I will try it.
  • Starbec
    Starbec Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump

Some great ideas here! Thanks.

I've tried a fair few of them but my faves at the moment are the tamar valley yoghurt - with some frozen berries, some applesauce and either oats or flaxmeal added. Usually a breakfast option because its very filling :)

The barley wraps are great too! I'll have to grab some of the laughing cow cheese - now I've got a craving for them on rice crackers :)

I use Horleys Sculpt protein powder. Mixed with water is about 2g of carbs and 19g of protein. I usually mix it with a cup of soy milk tho for a more filling snack option.

Little homemade mini quiches (or egg muffins) are also a great snack or breakfast. Depending on what you put in them they work out to be about 70 cals each.
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've been trying to search around for some different snacks - this thread is great!
  • prettythinlove
    Options
    Hmm what about lunch ideas. I'm vegeterian. Go to school, so no microwave. I only eat carbs like rice and bread after I have worked out. Can't make cruskits or rice crackers at 8am and then have them for lunch at 1pm because they go soggy if I put things in them.
    I'm in a bit of a pickle :-( haha.
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump :O)
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Starbec
    Starbec Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Can you take a lunchbox or cooler bag thing with all of the components and just make them when you want to eat them? What about tinned tuna on crackers?
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've just seen that Chobani high protein yoghurts are available in Australia now. So after years of seing them on US blogs I can finally try them for myself. The Chobani site states that they are available at Woollies but only lists Sydney stores (I'm in Melbourne)

The plain is under 100 calories a serve and 16g of protein.

Anyone seen them? They look like this

11rywds.png
  • sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm coming back to this for sure