Dear Dad

Options

Replies

• dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh my, this is an amazing letter to your dad. I came here this morning to get motivated and this really hit me hard. As with the others, I have tears in my eyes while typing this. Thank you for sharing. *Hugs*
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    that is a wonderful message to your dad. im sure he is very very proud of you and all you do every day.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    wow! is very touching.. the birth of my lil Princess it what motivated me to get in better shape. I know your dad is very proud of you...
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    :cry: :flowerforyou:
  • alangholz
    alangholz Posts: 69
    Options
    :smile: So very touching! Thank you for sharing.
  • Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    wow... i teared up reading that! i'm sure dad would be very proud of you!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This is a very poignant post and I'm sorry for your loss, truly sorry.

I just experienced the 1 year anniversary of my Mother's death on Friday, as well. It was a milestone, a hurdle and an achievement.
  • kimjean
    kimjean Posts: 9
    Options
    Very nice letter; I can identify. My father also died prematurely from an obesity related illness. Sorry for your loss, but you are inspiring others to make lifestyle changes for the better.
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in tears but God Bless & Good Luck hope it works out ok for you
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    :cry: Way to start my morning, tearing up reading posts on MFP. What a post...I am so sorry for your loss, but I am also happy that you chose to use it as motivation to change your future. So inspirational. :flowerforyou:
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think it's wonderful that your Father's love inspires you still to be a better man. What better tribute to him could there be? :smile:
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us! It is greatfully appreciated :smile: Thank you again
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Dear Dad,

You died 2 years ago today and I miss you. You were loving, judged people by their character, laughed often, were really smart, and wickedly funny. With these things, I am trying to follow in your footsteps.

But Dad, you gave up in your 40's. You stopped eating right, exercising, and had a sedintary lifestyle. You died young. I'm in my 40s and had a physical and I was becoming you. I joined MFP, you would like it, it has so many great and funny people. I listed your life as my inspiration to get better. I wont be following your footsteps with this.

Every time I don't want to go to the gym- I remember how you couldn't walk up stairs and I go workout.
    Every time I don't want to eat right- I remember how large and uncomfortable you were in your own skin and I eat healthy
    Every time I want to sit around and do nothing- I remember all the events and people you missed and I go live life.

The greatest and worst gift you ever gave me was showing me what my life would be if I didnt change. I have become a healthier person, I'm sure you would be proud.

I miss you dearly,
    your son

:sad: I can sympathise. My Daddy left this earth at age 41. He is one of my inspirations because he was a diabetic, and I saw what he went through. Unfortunately, he did not do it to himself. He was a tiny 10 year old boy thin as a rail when he was diagnosed. I miss him so much. The 21st would have been his 50th birthday. I want to make him proud by becoming healthy and avoiding diabetes. He would have wanted that for me. He was type 1 and I had to give him his shots, as a small child that is a heavy lesson to carry with me. Mom is now a type 2. She is only a little overweight, and it was a shock because she is not a sweet eater. She thinks that she got it from a blood tranfusion, it has never been proven but it does make sense because she wasn't diabetic before she received 2 units of blood and now she is. And the thing is that type 2 diabetes means your enzymes don't cooperate with the insulin your pancreas secretes, your pancreas is working but your blood doesn't break it down and metabolize it to regulate blood glucose levels. I don't know but either way, both parents had/have it and I don't want it. I can't stand to be pricked in the finger, I know the new machines test the arm but I still want to avoid diabetes at all costs. So in short, my Daddy is my inspiration too, I want to wear his coats, he was so tiny, I need to make it to at least a size 10 to fit in them. My Mommy is and inspiration too, Since she was diagnosed she has been strict with her diet and is regulating it with her diet and natural supplements. I am very proud of her. I need to follow her example. I eat sweets still and I am considered morbidly obese according to my Wii Fit. I am trying to change that. So here :drinker: is to your Daddy and may his memory live on in you forever. I know he is proud. :smooched:

Wish I could give both of you a big hug. Thank you for reminding me of love lost.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Amazing letter to your Dad. I lost my husband at 46 just over a year ago. He and I were working on changing our lives. However it was too little too late. He died of a heart attack walking home from the gym. I miss him everyday. He and I started oru weight loss journey together 3 years ago and since then I have lost 130 pounds but am finding myself sliding back into old bad habits so I'm back on MFP to regain my strength and dertimination because my husband would have wanted me to keep going. I'm back and I'm ready to lose the next 40 lbs.

I'm sorry for your loss and best wishes on continuing your journey to better health. You're really an inspiration.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This is very well- composed. Thank you for sharing; it has inspired me also!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    This could be a letter to my mom. She died at age 53 and I miss her every day. Thank you for sharing with everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    That's really a touching letter to your father. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure your father would be proud of you.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Touching. He must be proud of you looking down from wherever he might be.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    how insightful and touching...thank you for sharing that bit of you!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Beautifully written. I could totally relate to this as I lost my mom a little over a year ago and she had similar struggles! Thanks for sharing this.