Recommendations for fantasy, horror, sci-fi books?

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
What books in those genres do you recommend? Doesn't need to be new, just the kind of book you do not want to close and is worth making cold cereals supper when your family say they are hungry :)

Right now for me, is "the strain " from Del Toronto. For those who like there vampires in a none sparkly variety. Very dark.

Replies

• crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon... Such a beautiful book
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Anything by Phillip K ****. Really it bleeped his last name.
    delta
    indigo
    charlie
    kappa
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Richelle Mead either her dark swan series or her sucubus series
    Kim Harrison hollows series
    I can let you know more when I'm back home where my kindle is
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I just finished the Strain, that was fun.

I'd recommend anything by China Mieville. Especially "The Scar" - very cool dark urban fantasy.

Horror - try "20th Century Ghosts" and "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill (Stephen King's very talented son).

If you're looking for something light and fun any of Joe R Lansdale's novels are always awesome. If you're looking for a bit more literary - "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski is scary as hell.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Some of the books currently on my all-time favorites list (I read way too much fantasy and science fiction :)):

Another vote for China Mieville (Perdido Street Station, The Scar and Kraken are also good). New Weird.
    The New Weird, an anthology by Jeff and Ann VanderMeer.
    John C. Wright's Golden Age trilogy. Far distant future science fiction.
    Ian MacLeod's Light Ages and House of Storms. I'd probably also classify this as New Weird.
    John Crowley's Little, Big and his Aegypt tetralogy. Literary fantasy.
    Alistair Reynold's Revelation Space trilogy. New British space opera.
    Tad Williams' Shadowmarch trilogy. Fantasy.
    Tad Williams' Otherland tetralogy. Science fantasy (I guess).
    Iain Banks' Culture novels. More new British space opera.
    R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing and Aspect Emperor trilogies. VERY dark Tolkeinesque fantasy.
    Gene Wolfe's Fifth Head of Cerberus, Book of the New Sun, Book of the Long Sun, Book of the Short Sun trilogies. Cerebral fantasy.
    Cordwainer Smith's collected stories. Unique literary science fiction.
    Ursula K. LeGuin, Left Hand of Darkness. Anthropological science fiction.
    William Gibson, Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive. Cyberpunk.
    William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, The Difference Engine. Steampunk.
    Jack Vance, The Dying Earth. Science fantasy.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I always reread "The Stand" when I'm up for something apocolyptic (Stephen King).
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Here's another list ... what I consider essential authors of horror and ghost stories from the Victorian era and early 20th century:

Ambrose Bierce
    Edgar Allan Poe
    Robert Chambers, The King In Yellow (inspired by both Bierce and Poe)
    H. P. Lovecraft (inspired by Bierce, Poe, and Chambers)
    Algernon Blackwood
    M. R. James
    J. S. LeFanu

There are some good collections of Victorian ghost stories on Amazon.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Not normally a fan of Dean Koontz but I do like his Frankenstein series and I love the Odd Thomas series!
  • Vikingmiss
    Vikingmiss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eh mye Gawd. These mostly fall under Fanatasy..
    I love The Kushiel Trilogy by Jacqueline Carey. It's pretty sexy too.. :D
    As of now I am reading A Clash of Kings, by R.R Martin to prepare for the second HBO series to come out. SO GOOD.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I recommend Haruki Murakami, but I don't know if he fits into any o f those genres. Bizarre things happen in his novels, but they are grounded in ordinary people doing ordinary things. Start with Kafka by the Shore, and tell me what you th ink.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I really like the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong.
    Also the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just finished the first four books of the Song of Fire and Ice series by George R R Martin (Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows) I highly highly highly recommend them.. they are awesome.

I dont read much horror, but Stephen King of course is always a classic. Christine is my favorite.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    If you want a fantasy about dragons, but fits into about 19th or 20th century times, then read the "In His Majesty's Service" series by Naomi Novic. I started reading the first book a couple days ago, and I'm really hooked. I love dragon stories, and this one is perfect for me. :smile:
  • lidybug1984
    lidybug1984 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't wait to look up all these books!!!
  • dragongirl78
    Options
    I agree about Richelle Mead and Kim Harrison but my favorite author is Laurel Hamilton. She has two series out and they ach have a ton of books in each series.
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shawdow" by Orson Scott Card are must reads for any sci fi lover.

Right now I'm reading "Last Watch" by Sergei Lukyanenko; it's the fourth book in the Night Watch series. The series is fantastic! I've really been enjoying it. The series is about "Others" - people with special abilities that live among humans and keep an eye on each other.
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    I love the Anita Blake series by Laurrell K. Hamilton.
    It by Stephen King. Slept with the lights on!!
    Love the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz.

If you liked The Strain, read books 2 and 3 (The Fall and The Night Eternal, respectively).

One of the most compelling books I've read recently was "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. A sequel also just came out for it, called "The Twelve". There will be a third book also, making the series a trilogy. You won't be sorry.

Happy reading!
  • pooloftears
    pooloftears Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read Stephen King's Dark Tower series, I highly recommend it. I'd start with the Drawing of the Three instead of Gunslinger though. "There are other worlds than these..." Roland the Gunslinger
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A couple authors that I have found to be delightful (if quirky, possibly sarcastic, and generally right up my alley):

Douglas Adams (more sci fi)
    Terry Pratchett (more fantasy) - especially the Discworld books
    Neil Gaiman

All three I just, well I read one, and then I went on a quest to read pretty much anything else they had written.
    Haruki Murakami (as a previous poster suggested) is also a grand, if a bit bizarre read. Not for everyone perhaps, but always worth a try!

Happy Reading!