Baked Potatoes still considered healthy ?

Options
2»

Replies

• serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    As long as they are not the ones at Red Lobster, they cake those things in salt!! Yuck!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Oh how I love baked potatoes. I would still eat them either way.
  • has001
    has001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Some yummy ideas here! Think we might be having baked potatoes on the menu this week!!
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As long as they are not the ones at Red Lobster, they cake those things in salt!! Yuck!

Just an FYI, you can ask for them completely plain (and you have to specify "completely plain") and they will come out with no salt, no butter, nothing. I put cocktail sauce on mine when we go to Red Lobster :)
  • twinlaced
    twinlaced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Of course its healthy. You gain weight by loading it down with whole butter and sour cream, which tastes kind of gross anyways. I usually just put a tad bit of light butter and top it with tuna and it's like my most favorite meal ever.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have medically required carbohydrate restrictions, baked potatoes can definitely be part of a healthy diet.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Creme fraiche, lean bacon, mushrooms and leeks... Dump all that on it you've got a damn good meal with a decent amount of nutrients from all group in.
    YES baked potatoes are healthy, very much so. It's what some people put on them that makes them not so good.
  • bunnzye2
    bunnzye2 Posts: 56
    Options
    I found out a few years ago that sour cream is not high in fat or sodium. I always thought it was.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am a sweet potato addict! I have it for supper usually 2-3 times per week :) I cut up 2 mediums into slices like chips and lay it all out on a pan with some herbs, green onion, and feta....bake and dip them in sour cream. Filling and super yummy!
  • jstrandquest
    Options
    I was trying to determine what to have for dinner that doesn't have protein or fat. Voila! Great suggestions here. A baked potato it is.

I like them baked for 2 hours for crunchiness on the outside and melt in your mouth smoothness on the inside.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Skip the sour cream, top 'em with plain Greek yogurt! :bigsmile:

Was just thinking that, is it any good? I havent substitued greek yogurt for anything yet because I'm nervous as to how its going to taste haha!
    I don't even buy sour cream any more. I sub it with Greek yogurt (Trader Joe's in my fave) in recipes and on the table with mexican food, for baked potatoes, anything! My hubby can't tolerate a lot of dairy, but has no problem with yogurt (or mozarella), so it's win-win for us! My kid protested at first when she saw yogurt instead of sour cream on the table, but next time I served it I put it in a dish and she didn't say a word. :bigsmile:
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    yes

but i personally switched to sweet potatoes..........much tastier going down plain