two weeks and nothing......help?

Options
After coming back to this site 2 weeks ago I have stuck to around my cal goal the entire time. I have not been working out yet but I plan to soon. I upped my cal goal to 1260 yesterday to see if it makes a difference and kept my desired weight loss at 1.5# per week. Last time I did this for 3 weeks and got nowhere with walking 4 times a week for 50 mins.... this time I am going to give it a bit longer but I thought I would have lost something in the last 2 weeks...... Any idea's or stories that are similar?

Replies

• Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I can't really help because I'm in the same boat. Disheartening isn't it? :( Sorry I can't be much help, hope some of the other members can give you some good advice!
  • dfarmer6
    dfarmer6 Posts: 5
    Options
    1250 cal seems low to me especially if you are exercising. Our body will go into starvation mode and conserve, not burning fat. In some cases it will cause you to loose muscle mass instead of fat.

In my ongoing push to reach my goal, I currently eat about 1650 calories a day (40%carb, 30% Protein, and 30% fat). Several small meals. I exercise 5 to 6 days a week. For me, eating much less causes me to feel fatigue and run down especially when exercising.

Another thing I found helpful is to use a heart rate monitor when exercising. This will keep you in your aerobic zone (fat burning zone) which is where you burn most of the calories (fat).

Hope sharing this helps
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try changing your goal to 1 lb a week. You don't have a lot to lose, so it will be slower going for you. Even .5 lbs might be a reasonable goal, at least for a few weeks. Also, you have to give your body some time to adjust. Jillian michaels has a book about losing the last few pounds because it really is harder!
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was told by a dietician that it takes 6 weeks for the body to adjust to a new diet and exercise program and for results to start showing on the scale..

I find this is very true for me.. every time I clean up my diet and start eating better it takes about 6 weeks to see consistent losses on the scale
  • jillsergeant
    Options
    Try watching the documentary titled "Fathead" I learned why I didn't lose any weight the first month. Pay attention to the glycemic index of the foods you are eating.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Give it more time. My weight stayed the same for a little over a month at one point, and then it just started melting off.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    I had been losing steady since returning to MFP mid-december, but then hit a stall for a couple of weeks. My trainer had been trying to get me to drink green tea for a month or so - I don't care for green tea much. But, I did go buy some oolong tea, and have added that to my daily diet. I don't know if it is the tea, or just my body getting past the stall, but things are moving the right direction again.
  • Countryslove
    Options
    I have been stuck at the same weight for about the last month or longer. I have started strength training on top of cardio however and I am seeing some changes in my body. As long as I can see my body changing I won't give up.
  • busymom11
    busymom11 Posts: 15
    Options
    Pay attention to where you are in your "cycle". I don't lose all month long, then TOM and I lose 3-5 #s in a couple of days. Repeats this way every month.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to where you are in your "cycle". I don't lose all month long, then TOM and I lose 3-5 #s in a couple of days. Repeats this way every month.

This is exactly what happened to me this month! I was so frustrated then BAM almost 3lbs down. Hopefully this won't be my new norm though...I like losing consistently and seeing the numbers go down all the time (lol who doesn't??)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    1250 cal seems low to me especially if you are exercising. Our body will go into starvation mode and conserve, not burning fat. In some cases it will cause you to loose muscle mass instead of fat.

UGH! Starvation mode is mostly a myth, and only happens if you have been eating WAY below your BMR for an extended period of time!!! Stop spreading misinformation!!

There are two options: you are either not logging everything and staying under your goal, OR your goal is too high.
    Two weeks isn't a whole lot of time, maybe you should stick at it for another week and then see. If you still don't drop, I would drop my daily intake by 250 and then wait a couple weeks to see what happens.

If your defecit is correct, your shouldn't ever truely plateau.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think the addition of exercise is going to make a big difference with you. Also, just focus on the fact that you are getting healthier. Ya know, even if the weight doesn't come off as fast as you would like.

Good luck to you!
  • mysticdaisy78
    Options
    I have noticed that if I pay attention to what I eat for 5 random days out of the week and take 2 "play" days to eat whatever. I usually do pretty good and loose about 1 lb or more each week. And if you are craving it........eat it, just with moderation.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    I was told by a dietician that it takes 6 weeks for the body to adjust to a new diet and exercise program and for results to start showing on the scale..

Uh, I think the opposite is true for most people because they drop alot of water weight in the first week of their weight loss program.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Get to the exercise and the weight will start coming off. As you build muscle, your body will begin burning more calories while at rest. Also, you're more likely to keep the weight off. Use a heart rate monitor that has a calorie counter in it so when you enter your calories burned into MFP, it will be more accurate.

Make sure you weigh and measure your food - don't rely on "eyeing" it. Use MFP food selections that have recorded verifications - these are more likely to be accurate. Find a healthy diet plan that you think that you can live with for life. One should eat a healthy diet with whole grains, vegetables, lean meats and vegetable proteins. Limit your meat-fat, processed foods and sugars. Get plenty of fiber - at least 25 grams per day. Don't expect to eat 1250 calories per day in junk food and expect to drop the pounds. If you eat healthy, whole, unprocessed foods, your body will consume the nutrition and eliminate what it doesn't need.

Good luck to you! Consistency, honesty and hard work is the key to successful weight loss.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I looked back at your diary a few days and noticed a few things. You are eating under your goal for calories but you are eating the wrong things.
    I'd cut out the cake, sugar in the coffee, alcohol and fried foods. Add more whole grain breads, oatmeal or whole grain cereals with fruit for breakfast, grilled or baked meat with no breading, lots and lot of veggies, fruits, fat free plain yogurt with fresh fruits, a few nuts. You can still have some of those other things, just limit them to once a week or so. Also if you're not already, watch your sodium intake and drink plenty of water. Good luck! You can do this. :)
  • Xamire
    Xamire Posts: 5
    Options
    If you're drinking a lot more water, and eating more wheat products, you can have several pounds of full on bloating, or spread out bloating. Wheat+water is heavy! I've already had this problem and I'm a guy, women bloat even easier (or if you have ibs, etc) I eat a low dose chocolate laxative (just one) and take a gas pill. By the next day you can flush out all that stuff.

Also, don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat. By doing more exercise, you increase your muscle mass, thereby making your muscles consume more calories even when sitting still. Sometimes you will gain, before the weight sheds off (I'm one of those) and then bam the weight keeps falling off pretty quickly due to good muscle mass.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Give it longer. 6 weeks at least. And eat more, 1260 is not enough. try 1400. You should not be set at 1.5 lbs per week when you have so little to lose. Less than 15 lbs to lose do .5 lbs per week at the MAX. Losing weight is not a quick thing, you should focus on changing your life style not losing quickly. Then you will be set for life! It's all about breaking old habits and forging new ones :)

Good luck!
  • jsapninz
    Options
    And eat more, 1260 is not enough.

There is NO set number for everyone about what "isn't enough." JEEZ.
    I eat 1150 a day and am losing 1 lb a week, which is perfect.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree you might need to eat more. As we get older we can't lose the weight on the sme calories we could in our 20's.