Replies

• luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You can do it. just don't give up. I have faith in you... :wink:
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Try using Body Fat percentage as a measuring stick. It sounds to me as if you are doing lots of great exercise and the evidence is your reference to loss of inches. Maybe your goals need to change, not your workout. It's no surrender, but at some point we have to accept a certain genetic presentation. I am white, 57 and male. I can not be another race, younger, and you get the point. I have personally had a few plateaus I have broken through. I suspect I am at another one at the moment. No worries, it will happen eventually, or it will not, but in the interim I will get in better shape or maintain it at worst. Muscle will build, slowly at my age, but it will build, and I may gain weight or lose it more slowly as a result, but the other benefits outweigh that. None of us are getting paid for this in currency, but the money we will save on medical care will be a return on our time investment many fold greater than money. Be patient. It is a marathon not a sprint. Good luck.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 8 inches since January, you're losing bodyfat. So you're bodyfat percentage is improving even if the scale is the same, or up or down a few pounds.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It may help if we can see your diary, because we could offer input on what you're eating.

I think a lot of times when people plateau they are not eating enough calories. If you're eating 1200 calories, it's not enough. Aim for 1400-1800 instead. I recently posted a thread with how to calculate how many calories you should be eating to lose weight healthily --- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

Also, I think a lot of other people who had trouble with plateaus found it helpful to begin heavy lifting or really switching up their workout routines. If you've been doing steady state cardio, that is probably your problem. Steady state cardio really only helps you to a certain point. Try switching to HIIT type activities either on the treadmill or elliptical or through DVDs like TurboFire or through workouts on sites like bodyrock.tv. The "New Rules of Lifting for Women" book has a lot about heavy lifting and 6 months worth of workout routines and it has recipes and meal plan suggestions and how many calories you should be eating, so that could be a really helpful resource for you.

In the end if trying everything doesn't work, then you could try seeing a nutritionist or personal trainer who may help you with what you're eating or help push you past what you think your limits are while working out :)

You are amazing - I don't think I could have as much patience as you during such a long plateau!! I know you will figure it out and you will succeed!!! Someone with your determination is guaranteed to succeed eventually!!!

Good luck!! xox
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like Reedkaus' reply.

I would like to add to it. Try reducing your sugar intake to 20 grams per day (including your fruit consumption) and increasing your fiber to 30 grams per day. Make sure the breads, pastas, crackers and rice that you eat is made of 100% whole grain or 100% whole wheat. (if it's says enriched wheat on the ingredients, then it is not "100% whole wheat") I recommend the book "The S.O.S Diet" by Dr. James Surrell. No matter what diet you are on, you can integrate his "rules" into it, and you will find consistent success as I have.

Sounds like you might already be instituting the "muscle confusion" technique since you are doing different types of exercise, but it's hard for me to know for sure. Just ask yourself one question, "Do I ever do the same workout twice?". If so, then you might want to shake it up a little more. I use the weight training books "Weight Training Workouts That Work" and I'm really happy with the results. In addition, I take all sorts of classes at the gym - spin, pilates, yoga, LesMills CXWorx, etc... I also bike, walk, elliptical, etc..

I have lost 47 pounds, but my nutritionist tells me that I've gained 10 pounds in muscle, based on caliper measurements. So, my fat weight loss is 57 pounds. So yes, it does happen.

Good luck resetting your weight loss!
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i would up calories. you half to take in enough for your exercise and daily living. but less than total daily expenditure. figure that out and you will figure out how much you need to eat.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    maybe if you open your diary we can see what you are eating and give more specific information that may help.

Diary is open to my friends only.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    sprints.
    oatmeal.
    protein powder.
    weights!
    THIS WORKED FOR ME. plus clean eating, no dressings, no ketchup, no fruits,
  • Twins2007
    Options
    i would up calories. you half to take in enough for your exercise and daily living. but less than total daily expenditure. figure that out and you will figure out how much you need to eat.

THanks...That's the thing..I now have an "easy fit" and I am at a deficit :( I usually net about 15-1600 calories and my data is usually around 2300-2600 calories.

I tried eating more and the results were the same....:(
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Try gradually increasing your calories--like 100-200 a day. Speaking from my own experience and from so many others here, most plateaus seem to be broken by eating more, not less.
    What she said.

I went up to 2100 calories per day, and like magic, the weight is starting to fall off again.
  • Twins2007
    Options
    It may help if we can see your diary, because we could offer input on what you're eating.

I think a lot of times when people plateau they are not eating enough calories. If you're eating 1200 calories, it's not enough. Aim for 1400-1800 instead. I recently posted a thread with how to calculate how many calories you should be eating to lose weight healthily --- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

Also, I think a lot of other people who had trouble with plateaus found it helpful to begin heavy lifting or really switching up their workout routines. If you've been doing steady state cardio, that is probably your problem. Steady state cardio really only helps you to a certain point. Try switching to HIIT type activities either on the treadmill or elliptical or through DVDs like TurboFire or through workouts on sites like bodyrock.tv. The "New Rules of Lifting for Women" book has a lot about heavy lifting and 6 months worth of workout routines and it has recipes and meal plan suggestions and how many calories you should be eating, so that could be a really helpful resource for you.

In the end if trying everything doesn't work, then you could try seeing a nutritionist or personal trainer who may help you with what you're eating or help push you past what you think your limits are while working out :)

You are amazing - I don't think I could have as much patience as you during such a long plateau!! I know you will figure it out and you will succeed!!! Someone with your determination is guaranteed to succeed eventually!!!

Good luck!! xox

Thank you :)

i have strated doing some tabata style workouts and some body pump too...What I just cannot understand is no matter what type of exercises one does...A deficit should be a deficit...No?

Thanks for the link...I think I already read it ;)

xox
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    intermittent fasting
    increasing calories
    eating different foods
    cutting out a certain food (i.e. sugar or alcohol)
    more protein
    more strength training
    more cardio
    less cardio
    less strength training
    taking a break from logging foods for a week
    eat at maintenance for two weeks
    metabolic conditioning
    less carbs
    less sodium/less processed foods
    more water
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    Bump
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    HIIT!
  • Twins2007
    Options
    I suggest adding in more exercise...perhaps cardio.

I workout on my ellitical 3-4 times a week and Zumba twice a week....Plus the bootcamp style workouts are also cardio...Trust me ;)
  • Junee37
    Junee37 Posts: 60
    Options
    Bump
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options

I workout on my ellitical 3-4 times a week and Zumba twice a week....Plus the bootcamp style workouts are also cardio...Trust me ;)

I would say the opposite, less cardio and more weights/strength training. Because you do a lot of cardio, changing it up drastically will surely get the gears turning.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

you should do less cardio. thats probably what is holding you back. more lifting will help you out. have you heard of staci?? because she is awesome. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • davenportk83
    davenportk83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My daughter was stuck and took a full cheat day. Fed her cravings, local chicken salad, hot dogs, cake the whole nine yards. The next day she resumed her clean eating and lost 5 lbs at her next weigh-in. Leads me to believe her body needed a few more calories to shake up her metabolism.