I NEED support! Weight loss on super tight budget!

Options

Replies

• Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not going to say it's a "scam" per say (unless avon and pampered chef are scams too, I guess. Lol.)

But, smoothies as a meal are budget friendly. In the mornings I usually drink a smoothie with kale, OJ, spinach, a pear, and a banana. It's yummy and healthy and cheap.

Also, I make a lot of stir frys and try to eat vegetarian when possible because meat tends to be expensive.

Last night I made a pasta with "avocado cream sauce" instead of alfredo and it was good, affordable and healthy. Just cook fettucine, then combine an avocado, juice of one lemon, cajun seasoning, salt/pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil in a food processor and use as sauce.

Avon IS a scam, dontcha know? Lol. I kid. I think paying what one pays for that Vi stuff or whatever is highway robbery. If you have friends on there, it's all cheap, etc. Someone still has to pay full price.

As for smoothies, those are amazing, especially first thing in the morning with fresh ingredients. Best. Things. Ever!

Your pasta sounds delicious! I've tried something similar with rice. It turned out similar to sushi, but it was really good and may have been $2 per person and there were three of us eating it.

Lol. That is probably a bad example because I *hate* avon. But you know, some people are into it... :)

I got the recipe off of "oh she glows" (the blog). That is also a good blog to check out. She is vegan, but, like I said, it's usually cheaper if you don't eat as much meat.

I used to like it then I found out their lipsticks and lipglosses have lead...I paid a bit for that stuff in the past. Good thing I never used it, huh? Lol.

I definitely have to check that out now. I'm not a vegan by any means, but I don't eat a lot of red meat. I've noticed it cooks to almost pure grease.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I have 7 people in my house (hubs (is 6 foot 9 and 300 pounds), and I + 5 kids-2 teens plus 10, 9 and 7 year olds) and I spend about 100 dollars more per month than you do...it takes some creativity but it can be done. Anytime I stop at the market to pick up anything, I stop by the meat area to see if there are any reduced priced meats. If there are, i'll pick up as much as I can afford (sometimes up to 20 packages, depending on the price.) I've been known to wipe out the 79 cent chicken breast packages lol. I always buy whole chickens or bone in breast, because they make a tastier broth for soups. You can cook a chicken or two on Sunday, have it for Sunday dinner with some mashed taters, gravy, and a veggies. Then the next day, debone/shred it and make chicken salad with homemade biscuits for lunch. Day 3 you can boil the bones and use whatever's left over from the meat to make a soup with any veggies you have in the house + a starch: rice/noodle/potato.

Same with ham, if it's on sale for 99 cents or less I buy one, bake it in the oven with some potatoes, gravy, a veggie, then the next day we have sandwiches with the leftover ham. Whent he ham is pretty much gone, the bone gets put in the freezer to go into a pot of pinto beans later on down the road. I save all of my bones from different meats in ziplock baggies in my freezer. (in separate bags, of course) for use in stocks and gravies and to flavor soups and pots of beans.

You can get a 50 pound sack of rice, one of flour, 25 sugar, huge canister of vegetable shortening, and make your own biscuits and tortillas for your family. Also, a 50 pound bag of pinto beans and smaller bags of various beans + fresh garlic and onions kept in the house = healthy bean dishes a few times per week for really cheap. Pea soup is fairly cheap and really easy to make. Homemade breads, muffins, etc are all easy to make and cost effective. if you can afford a big bag of whole wheat flour, or if you have a good source for wheatberries, you can make your own ww bread. My kids love homemade ww bread! you can add things like crushed walnut pieces, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, etc to make the texture more interesting if you like stuff like that-that's how my family likes their bread. Homemade granola and homemade granola bars are also really delicious!

Yes, there can be a lot of carbs, but if you have a good farmer's market close by you can add a lot of great fresh fruits and veggies too. Also if you watch the sales papers you can buy your meats on sale and stock up your freezer with them. Our sales papers usually come out on Tuesdays and I plan which sales i'm going to hit-1.27 per pound pork chops? I'll go, buy 10 to 20 pounds, and shove it in the freezer for later. You'll start to get an idea of what the good meat prices are. If you stock your freezer/pantry well enough, eventually you can just "shop" in your freezer first thing in the morning and pull out a meat to thaw for dinner, and then "shop" in your pantry for a grain or noodle or potato side, then supplement with a veggie and/or salad and you have a meal (this is what I do each day). With you being in Northern California you are probably close to a lot of fresh fruit and veggie sources and you might be able to find a farm or ranch that butchers meat, you could even maybe go in halves with a friend or neighbor and buy a whole side of beef for your freezer. If there is an egg ranch nearby you can buy a case of eggs for the month. We buy a box of 100 eggs once per month and put it in the fridge. You can buy them more often but we've found the once per month to be economical and since the eggs are laid the same day we buy them they don't go bad as quickly.

Don't be afraid to try the 99 cent store, too, if you have one. Sometimes they have things much less expensive than the supermarket does. Ours even have fruits and veggies sometimes.

ETA: I know a lot of people swear by menu planning, but I don't do it. I just cook what I feel like eating each day. :laugh:
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    allihexen: i get coupons thru my local sunday paper, but find that most the time, its overly processed stuff that doesnt fill me up, or its cheaper to just get what is at Winco. once the subscription for that is done, i doubt i will be renewing, since it doesnt save me as much as i'd like.

neoterrar: thats a lot of what we eat! lol. Typically we eat eggs and homemade toast, or homemade pancakes with lite syrup for breakfast; leftovers or sandwhiches w fruit/vegis for lunch, and then dinner (the menu til next payday) is: (everything is homemade)

Monday:
    mac n cheese, garlic herb toast,

Tuesday:
    chicken soup
    baked tortillas (chips)

Wednesday:
    Leftover chili
    cornbread

Thursday:
    asian orange chicken
    white rice (no one in my house likes brown rice)

friday:
    baked ziti
    garlic herb toast

saturday:
    chicken pot pie

sunday:
    personal pizzas (cheese or pepperoni)

monday:
    potato chowder
    bread rolls

tuesday:
    15 bean soup
    tortillas

So looking at your weekly menu that you posted....you are really not doing all too bad...my best suggestion would be to do your best to try to switch to whole grains...i know it is difficult because of the slightly different texture and taste but it really is better for you....after a while you just adjust...it is difficult because white bread pasta whatever is all we ever knew growing up...but its crap....i also suggest weighing food...it really makes a difference in your calorie intake....i really started to see a weight change when i became more precise in my portions....also...i would suggest to stay away from cream based soups (potato chowder)....they are loaded with calories but if you like that soup make sure to add lots of veggies (not sure whats in potato chower) just double the veggies in everything...it lower calories and increases portions...would do much better making a broth based soup...make the ratio of food more veggie based....add lots of veggies to the pot pie...offer pepper and onions or mushroom as a topping on the pizza instead of the pepperoni, add peas to the mac and cheese (and use lowfat cheese-same thing for the pizza), you can puree or shred carrots and add it to pasta sauce or add some spinach...the baked chips are great...they are really a calorie saver....last i would suggest to add a salad before your meals if you can....even just lettuce and tomato....it will fill you up so you eat less of the carbs during your meal...(or a broth based soup on the night you are not eating soup) hope that helps...i completely understand about being on a budget...i am a single mom so i live on a tight budget...good luck...feel free to add me we can help motivate each other :D
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Can you grow a garden with fresh veggies and herbs? You can grow a lot in pots, plastic bins, etc.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Soup is delicious. Cabbage is cheap, and bullion. Make a cabbge/onion/potato soup once a week or so. Yummmy!
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants/needs any information about coupoing please msg me... $500 a month just for food is an amazingly high budget... I spend about $100 a month and that is me stockpiling multiple things and buying fresh items like produce etc...

Please if you are a SAHM you have time to coupon if you are serious about saving yourself money you should coupon and If I can do it you can do it! I started at 22 uneducated SAHM of 2 boys .... not a hard thing to grasp!

:flowerforyou:
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to try and buy bulk and then freeze for meals down the road. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a big bag of carrots and chop them and skin then yourself as opposed to pre-cut baby carrots. Same goes with anything really, as others have mentioned re: the whole roast chicken. If you have a Costco, shopping there for bulk items can be more affordable. These two websites have some great suggestions and recipes:

http://www.aturtleslifeforme.com/2011/06/freezer-meals-on-cheap.html

http://lifeasmom.com/2009/11/frugal-friday-freezer-cooking-on-cheap.html

It sounds like you are doing a great job thus far, by the way. Good for you!! :)
  • angelicazaldivar
    angelicazaldivar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You say you don't eat a lot of processed foods - but you talk about granola bars? Those are processed and they certainly aren't cheap. If you make it a POINT to stop buying that crap - even IF you have a coupon and put a bag of apples or whatever into the cart instead - you aren't necessarily going to spend more money but your food choices will be better.

Msg me if you need more tips. I have 3 kids - one drinks formula so he doesn't count haha but 2 boys and hubby & I and I spend no where near $500 a month at the grocery store ~ including buying diapers for 2 kids.

oh no! i dont buy the granola bars! lol. i make them myself. i used to buy them, but in the last couple weeks have bought ZERO processed items (other than dried fruits for the granola). i dont eat them myself either, i send them with my husband for lunch or give them to my kids for snacks. i know that these things are pretty sugary, even when i make them, but it gives the kids and hubby treats that are really cheap, and i get to customize them for them. :) a batch typically costs me a dollar or so to make, and it makes about 16.
  • bjbradl4
    bjbradl4 Posts: 6
    Options
    There are multiple websites out there where you can download coupons on items you will use. Try coupons.com, couponmom, shop at home, or there are several others. They can really help with matching your meal plan to coupons and make a large dent in your budget.

Also, for me, I eat what I want but really try to stay in my calorie goal. With summer coming, your local farmers market or starting a small garden for yourself, is a great way to get fresh food for a lower cost.

Lastly, I've done the protien shakes, they are a great supplement, but don't use them as your primary food source. If you do, once you revert completely back to your regular diet, you could have the issue of putting the weight back on again. I've struggled with yo-yo-ing too and it is frustrating.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I really would rather cook from scratch than do couponing. Every time I look in the paper at coupons it's all nasty boxed stuff. I would only very rarely feed my family that stuff. Ack.

We started our own garden, too, and it's so fun picking your own fresh produce! I thought you said you homeschool, maybe you and the kids could start a garden as a school project?
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to eat "clean" to lose weight. I try to eat mostly unprocessed foods but, let's face it, unless you want to spend 100% of your day in the kitchen, there are some things I buy processed (tortillas, cheese, condiments, etc). Good job cooking for your family all the time - that's going to help in your weight loss already - you and them are ingesting a lot less preservatives and other chemicals. Even if you aren't vegetarian, I recommend checking out happyherbivore.com. Her recipes are (mostly? all?) vegan but I substitute or add cheese and eggs in the mix. There are a lot of recipes with beans which are really filling and a whole lot cheaper than meat. Good luck!
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    I shop the manager mark down bin for meat alot, and just today bought some lunch meat for my kids this week that was manager mark down because it was expiring in about five days (but my kids will eat it before then)

yeah, i have been cooking from scratch A LOT lately! i really ought to check into this manager mark down bin!? where do i find it!? i typically shop at winco, sams club, walmart, or costco. lucky's if i HAVE to!
  • MomDaze3
    MomDaze3 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this question! Homeschool mom of three here too. Same boat. We'll figure this out. I have learned to freeze even the smallest things to use again. That is unless a kiddo has left the precious gold plated food out to spoil. Lol

Oh we also are trying our hand at gardening. We live in a well packed subdivision so the space is limited. You are welcome to add me and we can share thoughts and ideas. :flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are already on the right track - no shakes or "diet foods" just good homecooked meals.
    Here's my suggestions:

- Beans and lentils are great to give you lots of nutrition for very little dollars - buy them dry and soakk then cook them yourself and there are so many recipes out there, you will find lots of stuff that your family will eat.
    - Buy rice, pasta, beans, tins of tomatoes etc in bulk if you can - it is so much cheaper to buy a 5kg bag of rice than 5 x 1kg.
    - Look for fruit and veggies in season. If you have a farmers market nearby, go at the end of the day -at my market they start selling off bags of fruit and veg for $1 each - that's where I would go if I had a really tight budget.
    - Frozen veggies can be a very good buy - look for what's on special and stock up.
    - Buy cheap cuts of meat and cook them in the crockpot, they will get tender and delicous. You can make a casserole very easily with a small amount of meat, some beans or lentils, lots of veggies (fresh or frozen) and a tin of tomatoes with a few spices.
    - Look out for $1 bags of spices - they make everything taste good for very little money.
    - Add more veggies (frozen will be cheapest) to just about everything - it means that you can get more nutrition into your meals like pasta, fried rice etc.
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    Hi Angelicazaldi, by any chance do your city have a Sam's and if so, do you have a Sam's card? If not, see if you can get one. I think that Sam's would be a better choice for you than Walmart, Kroger, etc., because you can buy things in bulks and come out cheaper than if you were to buy a lot of things in the store. Coupons are good to use as well. Kroger have coupons on their site that you can download to your card. If you don't have a card, get one. You will just have to remember the coupons you have downloaded from your card. You might even see coupons in a basket at Kroger. They tend to do that to help customers. Check your local library. We have one that tends to have coupons in a basket to help people as well.

indeed i do! i dont have the plus membership, or whatever its called tho. i have the basic membership at sams, as well as a costco membership. i use both on a regular basis!
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    If anyone wants/needs any information about coupoing please msg me... $500 a month just for food is an amazingly high budget... I spend about $100 a month and that is me stockpiling multiple things and buying fresh items like produce etc...

Please if you are a SAHM you have time to coupon if you are serious about saving yourself money you should coupon and If I can do it you can do it! I started at 22 uneducated SAHM of 2 boys .... not a hard thing to grasp!

:flowerforyou:

i would love to hear how u do it! theres a billion posts and my mind is spiraling! lol. can u add me as a friend? thx!
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not going to say it's a "scam" per say (unless avon and pampered chef are scams too, I guess. Lol.)

But, smoothies as a meal are budget friendly. In the mornings I usually drink a smoothie with kale, OJ, spinach, a pear, and a banana. It's yummy and healthy and cheap.

Also, I make a lot of stir frys and try to eat vegetarian when possible because meat tends to be expensive.

Last night I made a pasta with "avocado cream sauce" instead of alfredo and it was good, affordable and healthy. Just cook fettucine, then combine an avocado, juice of one lemon, cajun seasoning, salt/pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil in a food processor and use as sauce.

Avon IS a scam, dontcha know? Lol. I kid. I think paying what one pays for that Vi stuff or whatever is highway robbery. If you have friends on there, it's all cheap, etc. Someone still has to pay full price.

As for smoothies, those are amazing, especially first thing in the morning with fresh ingredients. Best. Things. Ever!

Your pasta sounds delicious! I've tried something similar with rice. It turned out similar to sushi, but it was really good and may have been $2 per person and there were three of us eating it.

Lol. That is probably a bad example because I *hate* avon. But you know, some people are into it... :)

I got the recipe off of "oh she glows" (the blog). That is also a good blog to check out. She is vegan, but, like I said, it's usually cheaper if you don't eat as much meat.

I used to like it then I found out their lipsticks and lipglosses have lead...I paid a bit for that stuff in the past. Good thing I never used it, huh? Lol.

I definitely have to check that out now. I'm not a vegan by any means, but I don't eat a lot of red meat. I've noticed it cooks to almost pure grease.

Yeah, I am an ex-vegan, turned ex-vegetarian, turned pescatarian, then started eating meat. But I rarely eat red meat and sometimes crave vegan or vegetarian meals. "Feed me, I'm cranky" is another good vegan blog. :)

I have a blog problem. lol.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would add would be....a crockpot can be great tool. Soups and stews can be made very cheaply in crockpot, because you can use cheaper cuts of meat, or beans. I love mine, especially in the winter.
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    THANK U TO EVERYONE WHO ANSWERED!!! :D i appreciate all ur help! i definitely am gonna have to go back thru this thread multiple times to get all the info/sites! lol. i definitely learned a few new things here already. This is the first thread i have ever made, so i was a bit nervous about it. lol. please, as i said in another post, since there are like a billion posts here, and my head is spinning, add me!? i'd love to bounce ideas off of u guys, and share menus/recipes with those of u that have them! im also on facebook Angelica Zaldivar. feel free to add me there, just make sure u mention ur from MFP plz. :D THANKS AGAIN!!!! <3
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    i dont know who her friend is so no its not a scam its an amazing product thats helping change lives. it has been helpful for me. i am a single mom of 2 boys so i too budget. it was a suggestion, $14 for 60 meals thats an amazing deal for a budget!

90 calories + milk isn't a meal. Not everyone is looking to eat a ridiculously low amount of calories. Please take your pyramid scheme elsewhere.

To the OP: buying produce from a local produce store or a farmer's market is usually cheaper than buying produce from the grocery store I've found. Also, dry legumes are a very healthy and cheap food. I'm not sure if someone posted it, but there's a website that is all about making recipes on a budget. Has some name involving the amount of money, but can't remember it off the top of my head.